Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS > SURVIVING IN THE AGE OF AI AND AUTOMATION

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11072 comments Iain wrote: "Robots Will Take Our Jobs And We Need A Plan: 4 Scenarios For The Future

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemor..."

Fully Automated Luxury Communism: A Manifesto!!

message 2: by Krishna (new)

Krishna | 42 comments well....i don't think AI's gonna take our jobs anytime soon.... i mean it has been there for quite some time....but can we see it around us? has industries actually applying it?

AI has it's own disadvantages....we need to collect a lot of data and need to feed it.....not all data is accessible by everyone..... and the dataset has to be filtered so that no biasing element comes.....for example....if we want our neural network to identify any car or so, we need to feed in images of all kinds of environment car can be and which should not be repeated, like if image of red car is given multiple times, it will take color too as an attribute.....large funded projects like imagenet, alexnet are conducted for dataset purpose......... it's not easy.....and even if u get the data u have to train the network for days for even a small thing recognition......AI is good for large complex things but is actually a burden if we apply it everywhere....

message 3: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11072 comments What about deep learning AI, Krishna?
Is there any form of AI where it's beginning to teach itself?
Or would AI need consciousness to be able to achieve that?

message 4: by Krishna (new)

Krishna | 42 comments see there is basically 2 parts.... machine learning and deep learning..
we have to feed data in both the cases....
for example, let's take a neural network which recognizes a car by image...

when we feed a lot of images for cars for training purpose, the neural network creates a model which fits the description of car....

in case of ML , we feed the attributes like shape and size and all manually and then it creates model on it's own...

but in case of deep learning, we feed the data and it selects it's own attributes and create a model....these are some attributes which humans can detect in an object or don't have a mathematical model for it.....

but anyway we have to feed data to both .....

message 5: by Krishna (new)

Krishna | 42 comments Iain wrote: "Krishna wrote: "well....i don't think AI's gonna take our jobs anytime soon.... i mean it has been there for quite some time....but can we see it around us? has industries actually applying it?

AI..."

i am saying that only....AI will eventually take jobs....but not in near future....it is a real help for tech which are still now on research level....but in industries around us, it will take some time....first, the industries will have to take a lot of risk to try and test an AI based system......on research level we have quantum computers and so but the processors we see around us are still pretty old for that (graphic cards are helpful but not for large scale networks) ....before implementing AI in industries , many more problems need to be solved , like connectivity, power consumption and all..

automation has taken many jobs....but it was much easier to implement but AI will certainly take much time!

message 6: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11072 comments And besides AI, Krishna, we have to factor in AS! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Krishna (new)

Krishna | 42 comments Iain wrote: "Krishna wrote: "Iain wrote: "Krishna wrote: "well....i don't think AI's gonna take our jobs anytime soon.... i mean it has been there for quite some time....but can we see it around us? has industr..."

bro it depends region to region i guess.....

message 8: by James, Group Founder (last edited Nov 03, 2019 03:39AM) (new)

James Morcan | 11072 comments To play the Devil's Advocate tho Iain (and admittedly I'm not the best person at all to do on the subject of AI), couldn't your examples like self-serving checkouts, online shopping, self-driving cars etc, be countered by other inventions which never took off and never will?

I'm not saying your opinion with AI is wrong (in fact I lean toward your assessment), but you are kinda talking as if AI will definitely take off to "worldwide domination" levels. And there have been inventions and certain tech (like 3D) in the past that everyone was either fearful of or assumed would be the next big thing, but then to everyone's surprise completely fizzled out...

8 Tech Inventions and Gadgets That Never Took Off https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/8-tec...

10 '80s Tech Inventions That Never Really Took Off https://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...

So all I'm asking is this: Is there any possibility that the inevitable AI future everyone is expecting may never happen?

message 9: by Krishna (new)

Krishna | 42 comments James wrote: "To play the Devil's Advocate tho Iain (and admittedly I'm not the best person at all to do on the subject of AI), couldn't your examples like self-serving checkouts, online shopping, self-driving c..."

wait! cat translator was actually a thing???

anyway...that's a good question to raise...we might find an alternative ! though i think marketing will play a role here