The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2019 > 20.5 - Bigger is Better - Diane Whitney's Task: Party Like It's 1999!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:42AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4517 comments Mod
20.5 - Bigger is Better - Diane Whitney's Task: Party Like It's 1999!

This is a ONE book task.
No books with the main page genre childrens or kids can be used for this task.
Your book must be at least 299 pages in length.

My amazing daughter was born in September 1999 and will celebrate her 20th birthday this year. To help celebrate her birthday, please read a book that contains three (or more) number 9s, using only the following data. The word Nine does NOT work. Ordinal numbers (9th, 19th) will work if they are in numerical form.

- Number of Pages
- Numbers in First Publish date
- Title/Subtitle
- Series Number

REQUIRED: Point out to the mods where your 9s came from.

Examples:
9 in Title
First Published - 1949

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist—the Facts of Daily Life in 19th-Century England
9 in subtitle (19th-Century)
First published - 1993

message 2: by Diane Whitney (last edited Oct 05, 2019 10:14AM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Can NOT convert the month of September to 9.

Just a friendly reminder: If you read an ebook or audiobook, SRC rules apply to establish number of pages, see SRC RULE #2.7.

Books first published in 1999 definitely work.

message 3: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Mine

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4517 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 6 comments Happy Birthday to your daughter! Just checking if the month of the publication date counts as well...

Dark Illusion Book #29, Published 9-3-2019...Will the nine for September count or can it only come from the year? Thanks!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7539 comments i wanna make sure this works - Woman 99 first published 2019

message 7: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Elaine wrote: "Happy Birthday to your daughter! Just checking if the month of the publication date counts as well...

Dark Illusion Book #29, Published 9-3-2019...Will the nine for September count..."

Sorry, you can't convert September to 9. Only the numeral 9 will work for this task.

message 8: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Dee wrote: "i wanna make sure this works - Woman 99 first published 2019"

That works. Enjoy!

message 9: by EShay (new)

EShay Fagan (eshay11) | 537 comments I think this is correct, but I just want to confirm, if Cetaganda is #9 in the series and it was published in 1996, that is 3 9s. Unique task, it was a challenge to find a book that fits!

message 10: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments EShay wrote: "I think this is correct, but I just want to confirm, if Cetaganda is #9 in the series and it was published in 1996, that is 3 9s. Unique task, it was a challenge to find a book that fits!"

Be aware this book was first published in 1995, not 1996. Even though, it still contains 3 9s so, it works.

message 11: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Hi!
Just a quick question. Will a book published in 1999 work for the task? The date contains 3 nines. Thank you. :)
Laure

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 710 comments Just to clarify, would reading this Kindle edition work?

The Manchurian Candidate

The book was first published in 1959. The top MMPB, The Manchurian Candidate, has 309 pages. Would reading the Kindle edition above satisfy the requirements for this task, since SRC rules generally refer to the top MMPB to establish page counts when players read ebooks or audiobooks?

Thanks for your help!

message 13: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Laure wrote: "Hi!
Just a quick question. Will a book published in 1999 work for the task? The date contains 3 nines. Thank you. :)
Laure"

Of course!

message 14: by Diane Whitney (last edited Sep 08, 2019 11:44AM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Christine wrote: "Just to clarify, would reading this Kindle edition work?

The Manchurian Candidate

The book was first published in 1959. The top MMPB, The Manchurian Candidate, has..."

Yes of course, SRC e-book rules apply to establish number of pages. Enjoy!

message 15: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Laure wrote: "Hi!
Laure"

Of course!"

Thank you, Diane. :)

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments To clarify, if we read a book published in 1999, that counts for all three 9s? Or do they need to come from three different places?

message 17: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Melanie wrote: "To clarify, if we read a book published in 1999, that counts for all three 9s? Or do they need to come from three different places?"

Sorry for the late reply, of course books published in 1999 will work.

message 18: by Marie (UK) (last edited Nov 12, 2019 04:20AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2443 comments just checking all the 9's could be in published date
so 19th September (9) 2019 would work

using first published date of The Confession

ETA i see you cant convert September to 9 so never mind