Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Amazon Tips > Problems uploading to Kindle

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (last edited Sep 02, 2009 12:42PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 16 comments I've run into a glitch while uploading Secret Speakers to Kindle. Certain letter patterns are missing from words: "th," and "fi," for instance.

Has anyone done this before? Any hints?

Thanks, Karey

message 2: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 110 comments Hi Karey,

I've had problems uploading to the Kindle, too (formatting issues).

I'd love to hear if anyone has any tips.

message 3: by Dannis (last edited Sep 04, 2009 07:58AM) (new)

Dannis Cole (dannistories) | 4 comments I haven't had any formatting problems. I am using Word 2007 and saving as Web Page Filtered. My TOC and indices survive this. But, before I save, I run the Prepare/Inspect Document with all boxes checked. This removes any comments [all my crazy notes to myself, I use the comment feature to say where I need to fix something or START HERE for more editing, etc:]. Also removes fields inserted, properties [do I really want to let my readers know that I've spent 2,807 mins editing a short story?! And, that I wrote it when my company was BYU Student?:] and other stuff that can mess up the Kindle formatting. My fonts, formatting, and titles survive all of it. It just takes out things like the extra spaces from my Word 2003 glitch, my bookmarking errors from Word 97 [for the most part:], etc. Then, I check the doc after Kindle gets through, just to make sure there isn't anything odd [ESPECIALLY on anything originally done in another version of Word:]. So far [crosses fingers:)] I haven't had any formatting problems on Kindle. Oh, don't forget the other step: Do a spellcheck just before doing the Inspect.

So, in order:
1. Spellcheck/Grammar Check
2. Ignore all the grammar things that don't apply to your usage and SAVE ORIGINAL WORD DOC. I always keep a backup copy.
3. Inspect Document and remove all of that stuff
4. Save As Web Page/Filtered
5. Upload to Kindle
6. Check on what Kindle did
7. SAVE WHAT KINDLE DID
8. Wait to get rich [still waiting....:)]