Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > What authors are a must-read-upon-release?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:48AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments I was reflecting with a fellow reader that Jack Reacher is no longer in this category, and I thought it would be fun to find out from others: What authors/series do you have to read the minute the new book is released? Or maybe you're ultra disciplined and don't have to read anyone immediately?

Mine currently are:

Lucas Davenport series, John Sandford
Virgil Flowers series, John Sandford
anything from Peter Swanson
Inspector Gamache series, Louise Penny
Robert B. Parker's Spenser series
Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone series
Tana French
Duncan Kincaid/Jemma James series, Deborah Crombie
Thomas Lynley series, Elizabeth George
if PD James were still writing, which I don't think she is, her Inspector Dalgliesh series would be on this list
"The Girl With..." series featuring Lisbeth Salander
The Department Q series, Jussi Adler-Olsen
EDIT: Penn Cage series, Greg Iles

I think that's it, really. More than I thought! Will come back and add if I think of anyone else.

(This does not mean I will buy the book, but that I'll get on the library list as soon as I hear about it, and might spend an Audible credit on it if the reader or accent is a favorite).

message 2: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Fun question, Carol!

Off the top of my head, I can only think of three:
Lydia and Bill by S.J Rozan
Will Trent by Karin Slaughter
Murder Squad by Tana French

I have a subcategory of books I buy on release day, but don’t necessarily read right away (I guess I just feel like I need to own them, not read them 🤨)
Elvis and Joe by Robert Crais
Laura Lippman
Maisie Dobbs by Jaqueline Winspeare

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments There are only a few that I have to read right away: Spenser, Virgil Flowers and anything by Heather Blake/Webber or Krista Davis. Like Jan, I buy any Crais book and Maisie Dobbs, but don't necessarily read them right away. Still sitting on the new Elvis & Joe, but will get it read this month.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:08PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14813 comments Carol: My list is long! I am on board with most listed already. Off the top of my head I would add anything by Michael Connelly, Harry Bosch, etc. to my list of must reads as soon as possible near release date, and anything by Stephen King, and. Greg Iles

message 5: by Ann (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:16PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14813 comments Rita: that certainly saves you money and angst if you can't get to a new book fast enough!
I'll add Louise Penny to my must read. I have more than enough to cover for you! Lol
Rita wrote: "I don't have to read anyone immediately upon release"

message 6: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Rita wrote: "I don't have to read anyone immediately upon release"

Wow, Rita, I wish I had your self-control. Maybe I wouldn’t always be in danger of drowning in books!

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3760 comments fun question, carol.
reacher is still a must read for me, along with anything that slaughter, crais, connelly, child, rozan, ruth ware, tana french, and if she ever puts out that next book, spencer-fleming.

message 8: by Jezzy (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Jezzy | 36 comments Rita, I'm with you on this. when i'm interested to read a new author, I have to begin with his/her debut book or 1st book in a series. so, it would take me decades to read anyone's latest books released. I even won a few GR's giveaway, i set them aside & they are still inside my box.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: My list is long! I am on board with most listed already. Off the top of my head I would add anything by Michael Connelly, Harry Bosch, etc. to my list of must reads as soon as..."

Oh yes, I forgot about Greg Iles, but only the Penn Cage series (which may be done, I dunno).

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Jezzy wrote: "Rita, I'm with you on this. when i'm interested to read a new author, I have to begin with his/her debut book or 1st book in a series. so, it would take me decades to read anyone's latest books rel..."

I hear you, Jezzy. The series on my list are ones with which I'm all caught up, having decided at some point I liked them enough to binge-read . Or, as with Peter Swanson, I read his first book when it was initially released, and went on from there.

message 11: by Jezzy (last edited Sep 08, 2019 03:28AM) (new)

Jezzy | 36 comments Carol/Bonadie, i'm also curious about Peter Swanson coz i read rave reviews when i used to have an Instagram account. i still have to read 1st his debut novel before his most popular 1, which is The Kind Worth Killing.

message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3760 comments Jezzy wrote: "Carol/Bonadie, i'm also curious about Peter Swanson coz i read rave reviews when i used to have an Instagram account. i still have to read 1st his debut novel before his most popular 1, which is [b..."

i think that swanson's first book, [book:The Girl with a Clock for a Heart|17841564] was his weakest book. each of his books going forward has gotten better and better.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3760 comments oh yeah, i forgot greg iles and peter swanson. :)

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3100 comments I have more that I want to read on release than I have time to read on release.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14813 comments Well said Barry! I resemble that state too!

Barry wrote: "I have more that I want to read on release than I have time to read on release."

message 16: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 148 comments I will send to England for anything out by Sharon Bolton. Usually beats US release by six months.

Then if I didn't always have them from NG I would be staying up late on Monday to get the early Tuesday release for these authors:
Loreth Anne White,
Christina Dodd
Joanna Schaffhausen
Lorraine Heath
Madeline Hunter.

message 17: by Jezzy (new)

Jezzy | 36 comments Sherry, yes I noticed that. I checked his book list & The Girl with a Clock for a Heart has the lowest rating. i'd like to know how weak it is, so I dont mind reading it 1st.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue | 3 comments Must read for me include anything written by Peters Swanson, Ruth Ware or Shari Lapena.

Never disappointed

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14813 comments Sue: Thanks, looks like i need to check out Shari Lapena. ;)

Sue wrote: "Must read for me include anything written by Peters Swanson, Ruth Ware or Shari Lapena.

Never disappointed"

Susan - on semi hiatus | 24 comments Lara Lippman, Megan Miranda, Alice Feeney, Paula Hawkins.

message 21: by Roch (new)

Roch Carter | 3 comments Or: Robert Crais, Ragnar and, ooh yes, Ruth Ware, Thomas Harris, Michael Koryta, John Lecroart, Peter Robinson, Harlan Coben

message 22: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Miller (ivygmiller) | 1 comments Michael Connelly, John Connolly, Harlan Coben, Val McDermid, John Hart, just to name a few! Lord knows, I could go on and on :)

message 23: by Roch (new)

Roch Carter | 3 comments Don't forget John Grisham, James Patterson, Lisa Scottililone, Ruth Ware

message 24: by Ann (last edited Sep 28, 2019 04:20PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14813 comments Carol: If I was ultra disciplined I wouldn't have fourteen library books on loan. :);) Frankly that is what keeps me from starting to read most of my highly coveted books on release day. I simply have too many ahead of the newest releases. This reminded me of the many who started reading marathons on release date of a new Harry Potter book. I also fondly recall grabbing and devouring each installment of The Green Mile, Part 1: The Two Dead Girls
Those were the days. ;)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "What authors/series do you have to read the minute the new book is released? Or maybe you're ultra disciplined and don't have to read anyone immediately? ."

message 25: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Puckett (andrewpuckett) | 2 comments The ones I look for in the library are: Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Laurence Block (haven't seen any lately) Robert Goddard. So far, so conventional, but also:
Andrew Taylor, Peter May, CJ Sansom, Phil Rickman, Alan Judd, Ian Rankin, John Lawton, Michael Jecks.
Wish Minette Walters still wrote crime. Sorely miss PD James, Reginald Hill and Ruth Rendell.

message 26: by ICEY (new)

ICEY (icey1) | 2 comments I'm taking a break from Penny's series, which I love and don't want it to end!
I can't decide which author I want to start reading first Julia Spencer Fleming or Debroah Crombie series?

Also Go to my Grave by Catriona McPherson or The Children Garden? :)

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14813 comments Icey: I really like the Julia Spencer-Fleming books, and have been known to stop and hold off on reading the latest book in a favorite series until close to time for the next book release. I understand that very well with Louise Penny who is a favorite author (though don't think I will be able to wait that long for her latest book!)
This wait a bit strategy also helps with availability at the library for highly sought after new releases. :)

ICEY wrote: "I'm taking a break from Penny's series, which I love and don't want it to end!
I can't decide which author I want to start reading first Julia Spencer Fleming or Debroah Crombie series?

Also Go ..."

message 28: by ICEY (new)

ICEY (icey1) | 2 comments Ann wrote: "Icey: I really like the Julia Spencer-Fleming books, and have been known to stop and hold off on reading the latest book in a favorite series until close to time for the next book re..."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ann!