Profilers Crime Time discussion

Maisie Dobbs > Maisie is so perfect it makes me want to scream and then become a better person

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah O. | 11 comments Mod
The further I get into this book, the worse I feel about myself. All of them are so perfect. Goodness, the only reason anyone doesn't like Maisie Dobbs is because they are jealous of how smart she is and her ability to learn to waltz in 30 minutes or less. What 15-year-old reads Kierkegaard? I can't even spell his name. She can even control her sleep patterns through the pinch alarm clock method. I need about 3 alarms to wake up at the 3 a.m. Oh, Maisie, if only I could be more like you.

Then there's her teacher Maurice. If I could only find a teacher like him to show me the way and teach me about all things under the sun. But, because I am not as smart or as kind as Maisie, he would never consider a mediocre student such as myself.

That Priscilla is something though - she's someone I could be friends with, except for the fact that she's rich and my wardrobe probably isn't up to snuff. And of course, I’m not as pretty or as smart or as witty as Maisie Dobbs, which is probably the only reason Priscilla would stoop down and let herself become friendly with someone from the working class.

And then there’s Simon…he is from the upper-class and falls as madly in love with Maisie on first sight. But who wouldn’t? She is loved; no, make that adored by all who are lucky enough to even catch a glance of her across the muddy London streets.

Doesn’t do much for my self-esteem, though. I now realize what a flawed person I am. When faced with conflict, I will now ask myself, “What would Maisie do?” since a more perfect character will be hard to find.

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace | 2 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "The further I get into this book, the worse I feel about myself. All of them are so perfect. Goodness, the only reason anyone doesn't like Maisie Dobbs is because they are jealous of how smart sh..."

The only likable character for me was Enid, the down-to-earth working class girl who told it like it is and didn't walk around with blinders on. Maurice should mind his own business. One thing Maurice passed on to Maisie was a sickening self-adoration.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah O. | 11 comments Mod
Grace wrote: "Sarah wrote: "The further I get into this book, the worse I feel about myself. All of them are so perfect. Goodness, the only reason anyone doesn't like Maisie Dobbs is because they are jealous o..."

Self-adoration is fast becoming a marketable skill, though. If I were Maisie, I would love myself, too. It's amazing all the stuff she can get done in a day, because it would be so easy for her to admire herself in front of a mirror, or make witty repartee (I can't even spell it) with Maurice & Lady whats-her-name all day. Does she? No. She shares her multitude of gifts with the commoners. If an angel ever fell to earth, her name would be Maisie Dobbs.