Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Did anyone notice in Dead and Gone?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Siempre (last edited Sep 02, 2009 07:43AM) (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Did anyone notice in Dead and Gone that Bill goes in a house univited? There is a part in the book when Sookie is suppose to meet Tray and Amelia at Trays house and no one is there, she is worried something happened, she calls Bill and he comes to help her. She says she just can't handle seeing another dead body and he says "Whats another dead body to me" then he goes to listen at the door and then steps inside. It's not like Tray was dead either because he was in the supe hospital with Dr Ludwig.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments Hmmm...I didn't notice that. Do you think it's different 'cause Tray was a Were? It's a subtle distinction, but in True Blood I know that vampires cannot enter the home of "a mortal" uninvited. In the books, I can't remember if the restriction is "a mortal" or "a human", the latter of which, Tray was not. That doesn't seem right, though.

Ugh! Now that's going to bother me! I wonder when Bill was invited into Tray's house?

message 3: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments I would think that Weres would count. Eric couldn't enter Alcides home in Club Dead without an invitation, remember? Then Alcide rescinded his invitation.

message 4: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Savage (savagegy6) Josiehaustin wrote: "I would think that Weres would count. Eric couldn't enter Alcides home in Club Dead without an invitation, remember? Then Alcide rescinded his invitation."

Good point Josie. They've said that you don't have to say the invite, a wave, nod or something simple will do. So could asking Bill to check out the house work? I have no idea, just a thought. Otherwise, Harris messed up OR (which I hope is the case) he'd been invited before and Sookie doesn't know it...plot thickens muhahahaha...lol Sorry, I get carried away. :D

message 5: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Cassidy wrote: "Josiehaustin wrote: "I would think that Weres would count. Eric couldn't enter Alcides home in Club Dead without an invitation, remember? Then Alcide rescinded his invitation."

Good point Josie. T..."

Hey I am with you I would like to see where Bill has been going and whats he been doin he can be so secretive

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments Hrm, interesting. Its simply possible that as part of the 'supe community' Bill has had cause to go there previously. Wasn't Tray's place part of a business? Maybe that's the difference?

message 7: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Or maybe because Tray was dead..or assumed to be at that time. If its an assumption that it is no longer anyones home that could be the factor. I cant remember that part of the book so I really cant comment much more than that. (if he really was alive or dead in the end that is)

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I had simply assumed that Bill and Tray had had business dealings or something. After all, even tho the vamps and were's didn't really get along together very well, they DID have a good bit of interaction.

lol, and I'm sitting here, reading posts on various PN books while listening to Elvis sing gospel. Its a special day for me, baby brother who died at 39, LOVED Elvis' singing, so once a year I listen to him sing and miss my brother.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky | 93 comments Josiehaustin wrote: "Did anyone notice in Dead and Gone that Bill goes in a house univited? There is a part in the book when Sookie is suppose to meet Tray and Amelia at Trays house and no one is there, she is worried ..."

good eye!! been trying to think of a time it mentioned bill and tray, and i cant. i thought it was just humans they had to have permission from, but then what about alcides apartment. unless he couldnt enter just because sookie (a human) was in there...

message 10: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) If there is no one in the house. Or if the person in the house is dead. Why would the vamp have to ask persmission. How could he ask persimission. It sounds workable to me.

message 11: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Kenna wrote: "Or maybe because Tray was dead..or assumed to be at that time. If its an assumption that it is no longer anyones home that could be the factor. I cant remember that part of the book so I really can..."
He wasn't dead yet he was still alive in the supe hospital

message 12: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Becky wrote: "Josiehaustin wrote: "Did anyone notice in Dead and Gone that Bill goes in a house univited? There is a part in the book when Sookie is suppose to meet Tray and Amelia at Trays house and no one is t..."

When Sookie asked him to come he said something along the lines of "Is he the Were who has the repair shop. I can't remember if Bill ever had Tray repair anything for Sookie. I think Felipe did but is Bill his underling? Would he have used Bill to do that?

message 13: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Cary wrote: " If there is no one in the house. Or if the person in the house is dead. Why would the vamp have to ask persmission. How could he ask persimission. It sounds workable to me."

Well he wasn't dead first of all, and how would that work him not being home? I remember Sookie thinking about keeping Bills program stuff in her house and how he couldn't get it as long as she had rescinded his invitation, but that he could get someone to break in.

message 14: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I think it could be a flat out error. Or, since Trey and Bill have both worked as Sookie's bodyguards at different times, there could be a basis for Bill having entered the house before.

As for the car thing, de Castro called Trey himself and I had the impression Trey picked it up from Merlotte's. No Bill involvement there.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I'll assume its either and error or we are to assume that Bill had been given permission before. Though I'd be curious to know how the business angle works.

message 16: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Oh! LOL now I know why I dont remember that sceen! I havent read this book yet! (waiting for paperback)

I shall be leaving this thread now!

message 17: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Silly, silly child.

message 18: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Josiehaustin wrote: "Cary wrote: " If there is no one in the house. Or if the person in the house is dead. Why would the vamp have to ask persmission. How could he ask persimission. It sounds workable to me."

Well h..."
What if Sookie would have been dead. I think vampire Bill could have just walk in and get his computer programs. As far as Bill going to Trays house. Did Bill ever get an invitation to go in Trays? I can't remember. If he had never been there before and had never been recinded. Then wether Bill could go in or not is just speculation. Charlaine Harris never lays it out in specifics the rules concerning an invitiation to enter. So it's up to your own interpretation.

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 28 comments We could also assume that at some point Amelia/ Sookie (not written in words) could have given him the go. Such as in the fourth book with the witch war, Sookie ran in the house and invited all of the vampires in and she was not the resident nor did she know the resident personally. So maybe anyone can invite them in at any point. As long as someone does.

message 20: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Yeah its real mixed up. In Trueblood when Jessica & Sookie go to visit Jessica's parents. Then vampire Bill catches up with them. Sookie is in the house but can't invite Bill in. Bill has to glamour the little girl into allowing him entry, and the glamours the hell outta the whole family,and Bill,Sookie, and Jessica split.

message 21: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Tiffany wrote: "We could also assume that at some point Amelia/ Sookie (not written in words) could have given him the go. Such as in the fourth book with the witch war, Sookie ran in the house and invited all of..."

I can't recall Amelia being close enough to Bill to invite him in Trays and Sookie may have but I am not sure when.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments Michelle M. wrote: "I think it could be a flat out error. Or, since Trey and Bill have both worked as Sookie's bodyguards at different times, there could be a basis for Bill having entered the house before."

I'm leaning toward the "flat out error" theory.

message 23: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) You know, I came thisclose to buying that book last night but Jason got laid off on Monday and I'm having a hard time justifying spending $18 on a book right now. No matter how bad I want to. Grrr! I really hate hard backs!

message 24: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Kenna wrote: "You know, I came thisclose to buying that book last night but Jason got laid off on Monday and I'm having a hard time justifying spending $18 on a book right now. No matter how bad I want to. Grrr!..."
Me too but you know i am part of this club where you can trade books maybe you can do that. I'd be happy to send you my copy I am done with it actually.

message 25: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments we should start an exchange

message 26: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) I sugested that a while ago. Id love to start a book exchange! I have TONS of books that I buy (inexpensive) and when Im done with them I just have them sit around. I dont think it would be all that expensive to mail books either.

message 27: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Not really right maybe we can start a post?

message 28: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 28 comments I actually borrowed my friends copy of it because I bought the rest of the series so I had her buy the hardcover..I'll buy it in paper back. However I think I may have to purchase the October release of Touch of Dead and May release of the newest one. Hopefully I'll get gift cards for b and n for christmas....

message 29: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) There is always http://www.paperbackswap.com I get books there and trade away the ones that I don't want (or that I have multiple copies of) I tend to hit the library book sales, as well as Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul and any other thrift store that I might pass--plus yard sales, altho books are getting really hard to find at THOSE. I'm starting to think that except for GR here, the REST of the country just isn't reading. That or they are all serious book hoarders. (Ok, I admit it, I am one of those too--I ONLY have 14 bookcases, all packed with books. But at least they are sorted alphabetically)

And yeah--most of my "favs" have appearantly been selling well enough to go to all hardbacks when a new book comes out. And I am SERIOUSLY OCD about my series--I have got to have the book as soon as it comes out. Sigh, that's going to have to end in another year or two, when hubby retires and our income drops drastically. So I'm enjoying it while I can now.

message 30: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Alphabetically ordered? You're a marvel, Ann.

message 31: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) er no, just OCD. But the weird thing is--its ONLY about books. I want to be able to FIND the books when I go looking for them to re-read. :o) And, like I said--I have a LOT of books.

message 32: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Bah. I'm still impressed! The best I can manage is keeping series together!

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I'd been considering asking how other people organized their bookshelves. My problem with just goign alphabetically, is that I have hardcover, paperback, trade paperbacke tc. So the size variation sorta bugs me. Right now my books are sorted by: Read or Unread on separate shelves and within read or unread by type. Hardcovers all together on one shelf etc.

message 34: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) mine are all alphabetic--if I have hardbacks, they go against the wood of the shelf, with the paperbacks being in the center. Because if they AREN'T alphabetical then they drive me NUTS. The only exception to that is my quilting and sewing books--they are on 4 shelves by themselves and alphabetized together.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I also have all my paperbacks 'double parked' because I don't have enough bookshelf space. We have 2 bookshelves, and they house all my books plus all our dvds and the majority of our video games. Space is at a premium lol

message 36: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) I wish I had all my books in hard back. I just have to many other interests. Reading is just one out of my many. I need to be rich.

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 28 comments I'm not a big fan of hardcovers...I feel I am too lazy when I lay in the sun to hold them up for too long. I'm a big fan of the Sookie and Grave sight paperback size and weight : )

message 38: by Cary (last edited Sep 07, 2009 09:57AM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Well thats a very good point. As much as I like the Southern Vampyre Mysteries I would like them all in hardback. So I could pass them down. As well as owning copies I could always go back to for reference. The Sookie books are the only Vampypre serial books that hold that kind of interest for me. Sure wouldn't be taking that kind of trouble with Twilight or Vampire Diaries. Speaking of which the new TV version of VD comes out in a week or so. It looks like the 90210 of vampire TV. The characters are apparently still in high school, and just way to nice. Of course they have a hot guy playing the main vampire role. Very unconvincing and to squeaky clean to be a vampire for me. The girl in vampire diaries is a yuppy type chic just waiting for some rich prince charming of a vampire to sweep her off her feet. What she needs is a little stay at Spikes crypt. Or a spin with Eric. Oh well I will just have to watch it, and take it for what it is.

message 39: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Spike's crypt. Lol. It does look like 90210 vamp-style. I haven't read the books it's based on, but I get the feeling they are darker than the show will be. The book synopses didn't sound half bad.

message 40: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Allot of people like the Vampire Diaries. From the clips I have seen. The vampire guy looks like a contestant on the Bachelorette. The girl looks like a sorrority house queen. They should have had like a sorrity house queen fall for a way bad sexy vampire, who shows her how to have wicked sick fun.

message 41: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) hey, they sort of did that with Animal House. lol, ok, not really, but I LOVED that John Belushi's character got the sorority girl at the end of the movie. :o)

message 42: by Cary (last edited Sep 08, 2009 05:16PM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Well its like they are changing the very essense of what a vampire is supposed to be. What does that dude say. "I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to change my life"? " Become somebody entirely different. Can you imagine Dracula coming across with drivel like that. I fell so bad about myself. Well there is a vampire solution for vamps that feel that way. It called Meeting the Sun.

message 43: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) OH man from Dusk Till Dawn is on.

message 44: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Tiffany wrote: "We could also assume that at some point Amelia/ Sookie (not written in words) could have given him the go. Such as in the fourth book with the witch war, Sookie ran in the house and invited all of..."

Yes but if you remember Pam thought about it for a second and said it should be ok for Sookie to invite them in since the witches didn't OWN the building but Trey owned his business and it was his home as well right?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I think it is possible that Bill has been at Tray's before for business since Tray does have the shop. I mean vampires drive cars so they would need to get them fixed. It is also possible Bill already knew no one was inside because I think vampires with their extra sensory hearing could pick up if someone was inside the house. I can see both possibilities.

message 46: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) About entering a house. It is open to interpretation and is certainly not part of the Gothich vampire mythos. I think if the homeowner is not present or is dead. Then a vampire can enter at will no problem.

message 47: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Cary wrote: " About entering a house. It is open to interpretation and is certainly not part of the Gothich vampire mythos. I think if the homeowner is not present or is dead. Then a vampire can enter at will n..."
I don't think so I know Tray wasn't dead yet anyhow but I don't think they can go in just cause someone isn't home. Also if you remember Sookie thinking about keeping Bill's computer stuff and that Bill would have to get someone to break in to get it back. If he could get in when she wasn't home I think they would have mentioned it.

message 48: by Kim (new)

Kim | 19 comments Well did anyone notice in I think it was the 4th or 5th book Claudine ordered a 7-n-7. The 7up is lemon/lime. So I guess she should've died then.

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bagpipegirl) Oh wow....ha...oops

message 50: by Starling (new)

Starling I've just read the story where lemon is part of the plot. And I mean just as in this morning. Didn't know about lemon before so I didn't notice the 7up. Also didn't realize that the "twins" were actually what was left of triplets.

« previous 1