Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Taking notes and highlighting

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bailey (new)

Bailey Gibbons (bailsgibby) | 8 comments Hey all!

I’ve seen pictures of books on Instagram where people leave highlight tabs and post it notes in their books.

Do you guys do it? If so, how do you take notes? What are you searching for? Is there a key you follow when reading?
(I am genuinely curious!)

☕️Hélène⚜️ (timelessnreading) Me too!

message 3: by Franzie (new)

Franzie | 2 comments I'm doing this. Mostly when reading nonfiction. It helps me concentrate, and makes me feel like really diving into/ working with a book. And sometimes, there's stuff I've got my own opinion about. In these cases I'm commenting my own thoughts. It feels like "getting in a dialogue" with the author.
In novels I usually don't highlight. The only exception is, when I read something I really like, a beautiful phrase, or something, that feels like some kind of wisdom, which I don't want to forget.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurie_oberg) | 6 comments I usually write directly in the book((if it’s my. Mmmmy thoughts on ohfzdhubgccbook) ideas that resonate with ne, or with whicjh I disagree

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Adele (franadele) I like to write memorable phrases down on post-its and place them throughout my planner or up on my office wall. I'm usually reading library books so I can't exactly write in them... Post-it's are a wonderful alternative (:

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
If it's my book, I fold the tip of the page down. This helps me to remember the location but also pushes me to remember what sentence on the page caused me to pause and think. If it's a good idea, then I'll keep the fold. If it's not... I unfold the flap.

Otherwise I will stop myself to type the quote into Goodreads on the "Update my Progress bar." GR holds on to these notes for me under the book so I don't have to worry about loosing my notes. and the quotes or notes are there for me when I am writing the review.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Shahin | 6 comments i annotate my books
i underline good sentences and quotes, tab the pages with creative ideas or things i'll come back to.. i write notes on post it
and yes that's active reading.

message 8: by acha (new)

acha (achazsa) | 7 comments I annotate my books. I lined things that I like, plot, events etc using pencil and then mark it with plastic flag (I color coded it). I slip a blank paper or paper sticky notes every 50 pages to write my thought for those 50 pages. and if I really like the quote, I’ll write it on my journal..

message 9: by Neha (new)

Neha Deshpande (deshpande_neha) | 13 comments Emma wrote: "I highlight my books when I read them on a kindle (digital highlights, if you will). I can't bear to highlight in a real book, it just seems wrong! I usually highlight quotes I really like and pass..."
Same. The highlights for me are super important. like sacred. The highlights in real books are something that I return to again and again as a mean of comfort because i feel like they are the things that make me, me.

message 10: by amyadoreswords (new)

amyadoreswords acha wrote: "I annotate my books. I lined things that I like, plot, events etc using pencil and then mark it with plastic flag (I color coded it). I slip a blank paper or paper sticky notes every 50 pages to wr..."

ooh I want to hear about your color code system! do tell :)

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 16 comments Among my favorite things about being a grownup is not having to take notes, highlight, or tab when I read. :) Not that I begrudge anyone who enjoys those things and gets something out of them, but they tend to take me out of the book.

message 12: by Vaishnavi (new)

Vaishnavi (vaishu2993) | 2 comments I generally use my kindle to read. So I highlight quotes and sentences i like. And i feel highlighting will give me a moment to think about the reason why i liked that quote and lets me ponder over it even if that's for a second or ten.

When it comes to real books, i tend to highlight if it's non fiction. It gives me a sense of learning.

message 13: by acha (new)

acha (achazsa) | 7 comments amyadoreswords wrote: "acha wrote: "I annotate my books. I lined things that I like, plot, events etc using pencil and then mark it with plastic flag (I color coded it). I slip a blank paper or paper sticky notes every 5..."

When I’m using kindle, here’s my color code (on iPhone):
- pink: romantic quotes or moments that I love
- blue: sad moments
- yellow: happy moments
- orange: events/ plots/ characters.
When I’m using kindle paperwhite, I just highlighted it and when I have time, I’ll color code using my phone app, but if not, I’m ok with what I highlighted on my paperwhite.
When I read a physical books, I use pretty much the same color but I add change orange to purple for characters.

message 14: by Kristal (new)

Kristal (glassflower) | 2 comments acha wrote: "amyadoreswords wrote: "acha wrote: "I annotate my books. I lined things that I like, plot, events etc using pencil and then mark it with plastic flag (I color coded it). I slip a blank paper or pap..."
This is such a great idea. I never thought about doing this with my kindle. Like I use my highlight function but I never thought to color code it. I'm stealing this idea now. Thanks!!

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 9 comments I am amazed to admit that it never occurred to me to color code my Kindle highlights! I need to think about how I want to do this. I never highlighted my paper books, but in my Kindle I love this feature.

message 16: by Neda (new)

Neda (majorasmask) | 2 comments I’d never use any ink on my physical books. However, there are some very cute post it-styled stickers that i usually use when studying. They are marked with “like”, “important”, “remember” and you stick on the side of the corner, so the words peak out. They don’t leave a glue mark when removing and i can always get back to a quote i liked on that page. I don’t have them always with me, but when i do, i mark that page.

message 17: by Varsha (new)

Varsha Pillai | 1 comments like few friends here, m reluctant too to highlight, underline or to leave any ink mark on my paper book. I usually write down my favourite lines in my diary. that helps me to remember the quote (not all obviously) and I also get to keep a diary full of my favourite quotes.

message 18: by acha (new)

acha (achazsa) | 7 comments Kristal wrote: "acha wrote: "amyadoreswords wrote: "acha wrote: "I annotate my books. I lined things that I like, plot, events etc using pencil and then mark it with plastic flag (I color coded it). I slip a blank..."

glad I could help :) and please share your color-coding system :)

message 19: by acha (new)

acha (achazsa) | 7 comments Judy wrote: "I am amazed to admit that it never occurred to me to color code my Kindle highlights! I need to think about how I want to do this. I never highlighted my paper books, but in my Kindle I love this f..."

you should try it! and please share your color-coding system :)

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen I have used post its or flags if the book is to be discussed or shared. I'm not inclined to do so on a readers.

message 21: by Cathrine (last edited Sep 16, 2019 12:23PM) (new)

Cathrine | 12 comments I don't. But I do keep a physical reading journal. I write down the name of the book, author, date of when I finished it and a sentence or two about my impressions of the book. I ask myself questions that feel relevant to the current book, for example: Did I enjoy it? Was it difficult to get through and if so for what reason? Which character did I relatable to? Was the language vivid and/or believable?
I've done this for a couple of years now and this system is all I need to remember a book and if it has made an impact in my life in the long run.

message 22: by Rosey (new)

Rosey Belle (books_are_a_girls_best_friend) | 2 comments I certainly do highlight new words. I love to learn new vocab I think it's fun. I sometimes use sticky notes on important readings, like for school. I actually used to make personalized bookmarks and I would create a shop and sell em'! It was sups fun. I made a bookmark for me out of some tape and paper. I just drew stuff I loved, like my family and dogs. xD

message 23: by Russg (new)

Russg | 1 comments I'd like to start a personal book journal to help me remember what I've read. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to sites that can help me get started? Thanks!

message 24: by Carolin (new)

Carolin | 4 comments I use little post-its (I always store a little stack on the last page of the book) to mark quotes I like, passages that made me think or facts I want to check. After I finished the book I go back to each mark and write the quotes or beautiful passages in a special diary. This way I kind of skim the book again and can remember it better after a while.