The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2019 > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Brooklyn's Task: Two Truths and a Lie

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2019 08:31AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4534 comments Mod
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Brooklyn's Task: Two Truths and a Lie

This is a great game to get to know people. Both my last company and my current one has utilized this game for the sales team to get closer to each other and to promote a team atmosphere. My next team meeting is coming up at the end of September, and we will be playing this game. The options for this task are the two truths and one lie I plan to tell my team. It will be up to them (and you) to determine which statement is the lie.

This is a one book task. No books with a MPG of children or kids may be used for this task. Your book must have a minimum of 250 pages.
Required: State which option you choose.

Option 1: I once traveled around the world on one flight reservation. The trip was roughly 3 weeks long and very difficult to pack for! My reservation took me on the following path: San Francisco  Bangkok  Dubai  Amsterdam  San Francisco.

For this option, read a book by a single author whose initials can be found in AROUND THE WORLD. All initials count and spaces determine names. Letters can only be used as often as they appear.

Option 2: My family went on a road trip every summer here in the U.S.. My parents strongly believed that driving was better than flying because we could “see the country.” These trips took us all over the country and were between one and two weeks long. As a result, I have been to all 48 contiguous states (plus Hawaii on an adult vacation!).

For this option, read a book with a car or a paved road on which a car could drive on the cover.
Required: Include the cover in your post.

Option 3: Between work trips to most of the major cities in the U.S. and a couple of crazy friends, I’ve met a lot of famous people over the years. In fact, one very eventful year I met former tennis pro Andre Agassi, Home Depot owner Arthur Blank, the late Hall-of-Fame Green Bay Packers quarterback Bart Starr, college basketball coaching legend Bobby Knight, and rock star Tommy Lee of Motley Crue. I was surprised each time by their humility and kindness.

For this option, read a book with a MPG of biography or autobiography. The genre may be standalone or embedded.

message 2: by Brooke (last edited Sep 09, 2019 08:47AM) (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Approved for option 2:

The Fifties by David Halberstam Somebody Owes Me Money (Hard Case Crime #44) by Donald E. Westlake Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman On the Move A Life by Oliver Sacks The Road to Grantchester by James Runcie The Disenchanted Widow (Tailorstown, #2) by Christina McKenna The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah Bridge of Spies A True Story of the Cold War by Giles Whittell Then We Take Berlin (Joe Wilderness, #1) by John Lawton Mustard Seed by Laila Ibrahim

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4534 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Would this cover be acceptable for Option 2?

The Fifties by David Halberstam The Fifties

TIA

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Suzanne wrote: "Would this cover be acceptable for Option 2?

TIA"

One more to check on for o2:

Somebody Owes Me Money (Hard Case Crime #44) by Donald E. Westlake Somebody Owes Me Money

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Suzanne wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Would this cover be acceptable for Option 2?

TIA"

One more to check on for o2:

[bookcover:Somebody Owes Me Money|264..."

I can see a car on both covers. Enjoy!

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 640 comments Would these roads work for option 2?

The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver On the Move A Life by Oliver Sacks

Thank you.

message 9: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Kim wrote: "Would these roads work for option 2?

The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver On the Move A Life by Oliver Sacks

Thank you."

Hi Kim - all of those options have a road capable of driving on, so you're good!

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3404 comments I think this works for option 2 but I want to be sure. I've been wrong before. The Road to Grantchester by James Runcie
Thanks,
Andy

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Andy wrote: "I think this works for option 2 but I want to be sure. I've been wrong before. The Road to Grantchester by James Runcie
Thanks,
Andy"

Hi Andy - You've got both bases covered with this one. I see both a car and a driveable road. Enjoy!

message 12: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments For Option 2, will this cover work?

The Disenchanted Widow (Tailorstown, #2) by Christina McKenna

message 13: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 2, will this cover work?

The Disenchanted Widow (Tailorstown, #2) by Christina McKenna"

Confirmed! Happy reading. :)

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 496 comments Will this cover work for option 2?
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Paula wrote: "Will this cover work for option 2?
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah"

Looks like a road to me! Enjoy the book, Paula. I loved it.

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 919 comments Would any of these work for "a road"

Mustard Seed by Laila Ibrahim

Then We Take Berlin (Joe Wilderness, #1) by John Lawton

Bridge of Spies A True Story of the Cold War by Giles Whittell

message 17: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Joanne wrote: "Would any of these work for "a road"

Mustard Seed by Laila Ibrahim

Then We Take Berlin (Joe Wilderness, #1) by John Lawton

Bridge of Spies A True Story of the Cold War by Giles Whittell"

All of these will work.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Fazekas | 171 comments Hi there!

Would you consider cobblestones a road a car could drive on?
EX:
Murder on Black Swan Lane (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery, #1) by Andrea Penrose

message 19: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Laura wrote: "Hi there!

EX:
Murder on Black Swan Lane (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery, #1) by Andrea Penrose"

This is a tough one! I will go ahead and approve it, but it is right on the line. :-)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura Fazekas | 171 comments Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi there!

EX:
Murder on Black Swan Lane (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery, #1) by Andrea Penrose"

This is a tough one! I will go ahead and approve it, but ..."

Thank you!!

message 21: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1259 comments Can I lock in Biography as MPG for this book? The Best of Enemies: Race and Redemption in the New South

message 22: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Tess wrote: "Can I lock in Biography as MPG for this book? The Best of Enemies: Race and Redemption in the New South"

Confirmed! You're all set. :-)

message 23: by Florence (last edited Oct 02, 2019 02:01PM) (new)

Florence | 393 comments Would Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets work for the car? Children's or kids is not a MPG at this time. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling

message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Florence wrote: "Would Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets work for the car? Children's or kids is not a MPG at this time.Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling"

Hi Florence - that will work for a car on the cover. However, please note we can not confirm an absence of a MPG, so you might want to double check prior to posting. :-)