VICTOBER 2021 discussion

Victober 2019 > Kate's challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 100 comments Mod
Here's a thread to discuss what you're reading for Kate's challenge: reread a Victorian book.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky | 20 comments I'm also thinking of rereading Jane Eyre

message 3: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Gregory | 18 comments The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll reread The importance of Being Earnest, following the read-along

message 5: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 23 comments I think I’m going to use A Woman of No Importance as my re-read this year. I love it so much!

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (beatrice-joanna) | 25 comments I may change my mind on this one but I'm thinking of Little Dorrit. I've been meaning to re-read it for a while.

So that's one decision (almost) taken.

message 7: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn (lifefullofwords) | 8 comments This one was a bit difficult for me because I wasn’t planning on rereading anything this month. But I found Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Audible - narrated by Richard Armitage! - and it seemed like the perfect reread for October. FYI it’s only $2 if you buy a $1 ebook!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky | 14 comments I'm leaning towards Dracula, but I may read the annotated version this time.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 27 comments I will be rereading "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins.

message 10: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra | 10 comments I'll be rereading Jane Eyre, I got a new beautiful edition of it for my birthday last year and I haven't read it for more than five years so I'm really looking forward to it.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) MaryAnn wrote: "This one was a bit difficult for me because I wasn’t planning on rereading anything this month. But I found Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Audible - narrated by Richard Armitage! - and it seemed like t..."

This sounds like a great deal, and I love that man's voice! Could you drop a link in, to the page where you bought it please? I've had a look on Amazon and Audible but can't spot the version you've mentioned. Thanks :-)

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 2 comments I'm planning on listening to/reading Jane Eyre for my reread.

message 13: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstythomson) | 12 comments I’m giving this challenge a miss, one of my reading goals for this year was to only read new books, no re-reads at all!

message 14: by Alice (new)

Alice Ambrose I’ve been wanting to reread “Carmella” by J. Sheridan Le Fanu for awhile and this seems like the perfect excuse to do it. I might also reread “Dracula” again.

message 15: by Illyria (new)

Illyria | 6 comments I'm not quite sure yet if I will participate in this challenge as I have only been reading Victorian literature for about a year and there are so many Victorian works I want to read that it might be a bit early to reread already. I am tempted though to reread The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde which was one of my first Victorian reads and I loved it.

message 16: by Marisia (new)

Marisia Martin | 29 comments I am going to reread Wuthering Heights. First read it at high school in the 1970’s and have watched the various screen adaptions over the years , but have not reread it as an adult.

message 17: by Marisia (new)

Marisia Martin | 29 comments My reread will be Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. I read it in high school in the 1970s, so it will be interesting to reread as a mature adult, as I have mainly been informed by the screen adaptions over the years.

message 18: by Electra (new)

Electra (electraone) | 22 comments I'm going to reread Persuasion by Jane Austen :-)

message 19: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (jsuispoesie) I think I'm going to reread The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

message 20: by April (new)

April | 134 comments Becky wrote: "I'm leaning towards Dracula, but I may read the annotated version this time."

Ooh, I have the Annotated Dracula on my shelf. That sounds like a great idea.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine (christine_may) | 20 comments I’m glad for this challenge. I’m not a rereader of books, there are so many classics in world literature I haven’t read that I think I don’t have time for rereading, BUT I know that rereading (when I have done it Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre and books I’ve read to my children and grandchildren) is so rewarding and so wonderful in new discovery that now I want to reread ALL the Victorian books I’ve previously read!
However for Victober, having so many new novels to read for all the challenges, I’ve decided to choose something short and different, Lewis Caroll’s ‘Through the Looking Glass’. I read this when a very young girl half a century ago due to being so intrigued by the wonderful Tenniel illustration of Alice about to step through that huge Victorian mirror over the mantelpiece. I read it with uncomprehending and unforgettable fascination. I have an annotated version on the shelf kept for the grandchildren. I wonder what my adult mind will make of it now.

message 22: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) | 8 comments I'm torn between North and South and Far From the Madding Crowd for this one. I might also read Dracula...

message 23: by April (new)

April | 134 comments Christine wrote: "I’m glad for this challenge. I’m not a rereader of books, there are so many classics in world literature I haven’t read that I think I don’t have time for rereading, BUT I know that rereading (when..."

I'm toying with the idea of reading The Annotated Alice, but I'm really in the mood for some shorter works. I've never read Through the Looking Glass, but I did read Alice a couple of decades ago. I wonder what I would think about it if I reread it.

message 24: by Sharon (last edited Sep 16, 2019 01:36PM) (new)

Sharon  | 2 comments Christine wrote: "I’m glad for this challenge. I’m not a rereader of books, there are so many classics in world literature I haven’t read that I think I don’t have time for rereading, BUT I know that rereading (when..."

I've chosen Through the Looking Glass for this challenge too. Read it years ago and now don't remember the story much. It will be a quick read and I look forward to it.

message 25: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (moosecreekbooknook) | 15 comments Sadly, this will be my first time reading any victorian classics. I thought maybe some of the children's books might qualify but I haven't found any I've read that fall into the time period. A few come close, and theres a few I might have read but I can't remember.

So, I'm hoping this will count. I love the Muppet's Christmas Carol, even now in my 40's its still my favourite Holiday movie. I've never read the novella, so I thought I'd pick that.

message 26: by April (new)

April | 134 comments Jennie wrote: "Sadly, this will be my first time reading any victorian classics. I thought maybe some of the children's books might qualify but I haven't found any I've read that fall into the time period. A few ..."

Great choice, Jennie. That's my favorite book. It's the one book I've read multiple times. The first two paragraphs of that book make me smile like a fool; the wry humor gets me every time. It's my favorite opening of any book I've read. I hope you enjoy it.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookbubbler) | 7 comments I'm planning on reading my favorite Hardy (so far), Jude the Obscure. It's been at least 15 years since I've read it, so I'm a bit nervous that it won't live up to my memory. Fingers crossed!

message 28: by Eko (new)

Eko | 5 comments I will be counting The Importance of Being Earnest as my reread due to work/time constraints

message 29: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 4 comments I've been planning a reread of Great Expectations for a while, so that will be my choice.

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 5 comments I haven't read 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde for a few years, so would like to dive back in again. I originally read this book at a time when my life was taking a completely new direction, and am curious whether re-reading it awakens any memories or feelings from that time. Looking forward to revisiting gothic London!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm planning on re-reading Great Expectations! I read it in high school my senior year when I was deep in the middle of college applications, so I remember almost nothing about it.

message 32: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 60 comments I am not sure I will get to this challenge but if I do I will reread E.G.'s The Old Nurse's Story.

The Old Woman of All Hallows | 7 comments Nicola Lodge-Bruce wrote: "I’m going to reread Silas Marner by George Eliot. I read this in school when I was 14 I’m now 64. I disliked it then but I’m willing to give it another try 50 years later!"
I'm also re-reading 'Silas Marner'. I was given it at school when I was about eleven but just couldn't engage with it. Now at 63 wondering if I will be able to appreciate it.

message 34: by April (new)

April | 134 comments Mary wrote: "Nicola Lodge-Bruce wrote: "I’m going to reread Silas Marner by George Eliot. I read this in school when I was 14 I’m now 64. I disliked it then but I’m willing to give it another try 50 years later..."

I just finished Silas Marner for the first time. I'm 64 also and never had to read it for school (as far as I can remember), but I actually enjoyed it. I experienced a bit of dread reading the first part, but the story took a bit of a turn that I was thankful for, so I'm glad a persevered. Is it Eliot's greatest novel? No, but I'm glad I read it.

message 35: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (3nine6) | 10 comments My plan is to reread Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott. This also can count towards a book under 250 pages (it is around 90 pages).

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 29 comments I think I am going to re-read War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (1897) for this challenge. It has been a very long time since I have read it. I hope I enjoy it as much as I did years ago.

message 37: by Paula (new)

Paula (verbosereader) | 11 comments Since I'm preparing to read Barchester Towers in the near future (Not sure if it will fit in with Victober), I'm thinking about re-reading The Warden by Anthony Trollope.

message 38: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 28 comments My reread will be Bleak House. I think it will make a wonderful follow-up from The Eustace Diamonds by Trollope which is a lighter look at inheritance and family. I love the atmosphere of Bleak House too - so perfect as the nights draw in.

The Old Woman of All Hallows | 7 comments Lorna wrote: "My reread will be Bleak House. I think it will make a wonderful follow-up from The Eustace Diamonds by Trollope which is a lighter look at inheritance and family. I love the atmosphere of Bleak Hou..."

Yes, The invocation of fog at the beginning of the book is masterly.

message 40: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarenw3) | 8 comments I'm reading the Picture of Dorian Gray and then the last Barsteshire Chronicle - I have been saving it as I love the series so much!

message 41: by Sandybeth (new)

Sandybeth I will re read my favourite Trollope ( it was my first so will always have a place in my heart) The Warden.

message 42: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie My favorite Anthony Trollope has been Phineas Finn.

message 43: by María (new)

María | 3 comments This challenge will be my first stop. I was torn between Jane Eyre and North and South but I've finally chosen Jane. Looking forward to it!

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula Fialho Silva (paloca) | 3 comments I'm going to reread The Picture of Dorian Gray. I love this book ❤

message 45: by Keriann (new)

Keriann (kad123) I am using The Importance Of Being Ernest as my re read... Cheating I know

message 46: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 66 comments Keriann wrote: "I am using The Importance Of Being Ernest as my re read... Cheating I know"

It's a reread for me too! :D Though my main pick for this challenge was Wuthering Heights. I read it about 7 years ago when I was a teenager and loved it! I'm nervous to see whether I'll still love it after all this time

message 47: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 66 comments Sandybeth wrote: "I will re read my favourite Trollope ( it was my first so will always have a place in my heart) The Warden."

I'm reading it for the first time this year :D

message 48: by Margo (new)

Margo My first pick for this task was The Magic Shop but since that is shorter than I remember I will also read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

message 49: by Danya (new)

Danya | 4 comments Rereading Jane Eyre as are many others. Probably my favourite novel of all time when I first read it. Interested to see whether I still feel the same many years (and novels) later.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Nada wrote: "Keriann wrote: "I am using The Importance Of Being Ernest as my re read... Cheating I know"

It's a reread for me too! :D Though my main pick for this challenge was Wuthering Heights. I read it abo..."

I'm rereading The Importance of Being Earnest too.

Wuthering Heights was my first Victorian book. I read it at seventeen and loved it. I've reread it two times since, last time this winter and appreciate it even more.

« previous 1