The Great American Read discussion

The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
This topic is about The Testaments
Handmaid's Tale /The Testaments > ⭐The Testaments - Book release - Pre-read

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
This is a special event discussion for The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. This is a sequel to The Handmaid's Tale, which is on the GAR list.

The release date is September 10. If you're interested, you can pre-order your book or ebook copy now from any major bookseller. Or get your book requests in now with your library system. Libraries are ordering a lot of books so the wait lists are shorter now than they will be for a very long time.

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

FYI any ratings you see on The Testament right now are fakes. They're maintaining an extremely high level of security on this book. Only the judges have read it yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/bo...

Mary | 6 comments Can't wait!

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 10, 2019 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Did anyone get the book yet? Ella?

I keep checking amazon for a kindle+ audible deal. RIght now the purchase window is missing. Maybe they're working on it.

I listened to the audio sample and it was really awful. Anne Dowd (who plays Aunt Lydia on the TV show) speaks very slowly. It works for her on TV, but not audio. The only reviewer so far said she read the book at 3.5 times the normal speed! I usually read at 1.25.

I wonder if the secrecy surrounding the story caused them to eliminate some of the staff who could have improved quality control!

So I'm going to get the kindle as soon as I'm done with my reread of the first book.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments I see that B&N has chosen this book as their Book Club selection for next month. I haven't read the first one

Heather (bruyere) I picked up both books today. I read Handmaid's tale in the mid 90s so even though I remember quite a bit, I feel like I should re-read now. I guess we'll see how the new book is. Sometimes when an author finishes a story much much later it isn't the best. That said, she has been writing this whole time, so it's not like she'll be out of practice.

Lisa | 26 comments I got put on the hold list as #4 with 2 e-books of the Testaments at the library. Meanwhile I will reread Handmaid's Tale.

Kimberly | 33 comments I picked up the audio from Audible, and can’t wait for a cozy weekend to start reading.

Mandy | 41 comments Finishing the first book now and expect to get the new one soon from the Library.

message 10: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I got the digital copy from the library much earlier than expected, but right after I bought my own copy. Oh well.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 26 comments My digital copy from the library is available already - yikes! So I'm trying to spend as much time reading Handmaid's Tale as possible so I can finish sooner.

Nancy - isn't that how things go? Figures!

message 12: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Who is reading this, or planning to read it in October?

Also, is anyone else watching the TV show?

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 26 comments I finished reading The Testaments last week and will have to return the library book. Hope I can remember enough of it to discuss LOL! I'm also re-watching the TV show and am in season 2.

message 14: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 27, 2019 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa wrote: "I finished reading The Testaments last week and will have to return the library book. Hope I can remember enough of it to discuss LOL! I'm also re-watching the TV show and am in season 2."

Awesome. I have it and I think I'll read it early next week.

I'll create a Spoilers thread for Testaments (if I didn't already), so you can makes some notes now while your memory is still fairly fresh.

------
Oops - I just realized the book is due back today! That's OK I still have the kindle.

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I started the Audio today.

Heather (bruyere) I am zooming through Handmaid's Tale this week to be able to do Testaments with you. I hadn't read the first book since the mid-90s and it's just as good as I remember! I should be able to start Testaments this week.

message 17: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Oct 04, 2019 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather wrote: "I am zooming through Handmaid's Tale this week to be able to do Testaments with you. I hadn't read the first book since the mid-90s and it's just as good as I remember! I should be able to start Te..."

I liked it better this time. I'm about half way through The Testaments now and I really like it.