Play Book Tag discussion

An Invisible Thread
This topic is about An Invisible Thread
Archive: Other Books > An Invisible Thread: The True Story of ..., by Laura Schroff - 3 stars- Trim the TBr

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 5789 comments An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny by Laura Schroff is one of those books you might call heart-warming. Laura Schroff is a busy and successful sales executive when an 11 year-old begs for money from her because he is hungry. She takes Maurice to McDonald's and thus begins their friendship, as she says:

"You see, I am a woman whose life runs on schedules. I make appointments, I fill slots, I micromanage the clock. I bounce around from meeting to meeting, ticking things off a list. I am not merely punctual; I am fifteen minutes early for any and every engagement. This is how I live; it is who I am—but some things in life do not fit neatly into a schedule. Rain, for example. On the day I met Maurice—September 1, 1986—a huge storm swept over the city, and I awoke to darkness and hammering rain. It was Labor Day weekend and the summer was slipping away, but I had tickets to the U.S. Open tennis tournament that afternoon—box seats, three rows from center court."

They meet every Monday for years and she guides him and helps him understand other ways to do things besides what his precarious existence would dictate.

Both Laura and Maurice are needy and what cannot help but question their motivations.

In the long run they now look at each other as family and have enriched each other's life.

The story was interesting and eye-opening in someways, but not stellar.

Doughgirl5562 | 729 comments My bookclub read this and felt pretty much the way that you did. It was good, but multiple people questionned the motivations involved.

Booknblues | 5789 comments I think Laura was needy and wanted children and Maurice was her experimental child.

She had many problems which mirrored Maurice's, so I think on some level she recognized this.

Despite her promises she was not always there for him.

But having said that, they seem to have a lasting relationship and she was an important part of his upbringing and a positive force.