Horror Aficionados discussion

Bizarro and Splatterpunk > The Summer I Died by Ryan Thomas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (last edited Sep 01, 2009 08:36PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, my God. That's all I can say about this book. I read this book in one day and my stomach is hurting from the violence in it. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight.

The characters of fully fleshed. I never thought they were generic, like some are in the horror genre. Now that I think about it, the characters in the few bizarro novels I've read recently are more fully realized than in the horror books I've read lately.

Roger is back from college visiting his good friend Tooth, a beer guzzling good old boy who has no plans to attend college but is saving his money to move to California.

He and Roger decide to drive an hour and a half away to shoot guns in the woods. When they're about to leave, they hear a blood curdling scream. They notice a house in the woods and see a woman running out followed by a man holding an axe, chasing after her. As Roger says so eloquently, if he knew what was in store for them hours from now, he'd go ahead and shoot Tooth and himself on the spot.

There is a basement torture chamber and some chains with their names on them. I've never read anything so violent or cringe-inducing. The comic relief in the first half of the book does nothing to ease the nauseating second half. But I highly recommend it.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Leonard (luvl8r) | 5 comments Sounds like something I need to read!

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments If you can stomach it, you'll enjoy it. I thought it was well written, but I'm not one of those GR reviewers who ignores the story to pick apart editing and grouse about typos and run on sentences. If there were any, I didn't see them. But I never could find Waldo in a crowd of people, so there.

If you read it, let me know what you think. You can probably read it in a day if you have enough time set aside. Actually, I couldn't put it down.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I couldn't either, Rebecca. But it got progressively more violent and gross and I didn't want to read it but I did want to read it. KWIM?

I loved the Tooth character. By the end of the book he was actually an honorable, brave guy.

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (KirstyG) | 13 comments thanks for the recommendation i read this book like yourself in one day could not put it down! splatterpunk is by far my favourite horror sub-category. need more books like this one any suggestions? x

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Glad you enjoyed it, Kirsty. I don't know of any right off the top of my head. There are probably splatterpunk and bizarro groups here, why don't you check them out and glance at their bookshelves?

message 7: by David (new)

David S. | 9 comments Tressa, I noticed that you only gave 3 stars to the sequel: BORN TO BLEED. Anything you could say about the story without giving anything away. I noticed spoilers on your review so I never read it. Thanks.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The basic premise of Born to Bleed is that Roger somehow finds himself trapped in a mansion with a cult of wealthy people who enjoy torturing people. I knew no sequel could match the greatness of Summer but it's a good read and I enjoyed seeing what Roger is up to, as bad as it is.

message 9: by David (new)

David S. | 9 comments Thanks Tressa. I'll concentrate on other books on my To Read List. I think I'll try SUCCULENT PREY by Wrath James White. I've read his collaboration with Ed Lee, but, never read anything that he's only written by himself.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Well, I still hope you'll read it one day. I've only read one White book and thought it was OK.

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Queen | 29 comments I absolutely loved this book it was very well written and did leave my stomach in knots I suggest to anyone who can handle lots of vivid gruesome details.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yay, Mandy!

message 13: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Queen | 29 comments :) I had no idea there was a second book im gonna have to find Born To Bleed, Ive missed you guys just got internet back ive def missed all the great book recommends too

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Welcome back, Mandy. Don't ever leave again. :-D

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments The Summer I Died is one of those books that sticks with you long after reading it. Absolutely love it!

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It is unforgettable.

message 17: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Loved the book, too. Haven't read the sequel yet.

message 18: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Mckinney (27needles) | 5 comments Just finished this and loved it. I only wish it was longer!

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Glad you enjoyed it, Kerry.

message 20: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Mckinney (27needles) | 5 comments Thanks Tressa, I'll move onto the sequel soon.

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hope you like it as well.

message 22: by Kerry (last edited Dec 14, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Kerry Mckinney (27needles) | 5 comments I'm sure I will. This was the first of his books I've read and he is really an excellent writer. I tend to lean toward the "serial killer" types so, that was right up my alley.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments He has a great serial killer black comedy called Ratings Game. It's hilarious and bloody.

message 24: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Mckinney (27needles) | 5 comments I'll check it out!

message 25: by Vince (new)

Vince (vince_fahey) | 45 comments The writing in this book is quite good. I'm only to the point where Jamie gets captured but the first part prior to the killer entering the story was quite good and an enjoyable read.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I agree. Didn't expect the writing or character development to be do good. Also expected stereotypes but Thomas turned them on their heads.

message 27: by Lenny (new)

Lenny Nero (lennynero) | 119 comments Based on the praise here, I picked this up this weekend, can't wait to read it!

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Enjoy, Lenny.

message 29: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Hawke (Hawkey) | 9 comments Sounds like I need to read this just up my ally if you like nasty stuff, I wish I could get more revies like this on my book its been called brutal. But this is not about me and I will definatly take this on and give it a read! Thanks Tressa

message 30: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tressa wrote: "Oh, my God. That's all I can say about this book. I read this book in one day and my stomach is hurting from the violence in it. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight.

The characters of fully ..."

OMG... That's how I felt reading this. I started it in one night and last night I stayed up and finished the book. I couldn't sleep either!

There's a squeal? I mot have to wait awhile tool I read that I one.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments LOL, Eileen. I see you're on your phone again.

The sequel is enjoyable, too.

message 32: by Larry (new)

Larry | 214 comments This is such a great book

message 33: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments This thread still lacks my unsolicited praise.

Okay, then.

My work is done here.

message 34: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments 11811 wrote: "This thread still lacks my unsolicited praise.

Okay, then.

My work is done here."

I will second that, 11811!!

Late to the party but just read this one per Tressa's recommendation. Frickin' brutal!

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tressa wrote: "LOL, Eileen. I see you're on your phone again.

The sequel is enjoyable, too."

I just saw this. LOL!!

How'd you guess?

message 36: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Bill wrote: "11811 wrote: Late to the party but just read this one per Tressa's recommendation...."

Wasn't it brutal?!

How did you sleep when you finished?

message 37: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I haven't slept since I finished it six months ago. God, I'm tired.

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Me, either!

Would you like me to sing you a lullaby or maybe a nice long walk in the woods to tire you out.

Willing to help.

message 39: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Walk in the woods sounds good. I'll bring the red socks hat, you bring the hatchet.

message 40: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Now your talking, you'll be asleep in no time.

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments haha!! Perfect! I will bring my dog Lillie! Not exactly a rottweiler, but she will try and lick you to death!

I slept like a baby after finishing it. I stayed up all night to finish it because I couldn't put it down and was so emotionally drained, I think I may have just passed out. Tonight may be a different story...

message 42: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Anyone know of affordable access to Origin of Pain? I suppose I could always try an interlibrary loan but an ebook would be nice.

message 43: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Nevermind. Its just an omnibus of the first two books; I thought there was additional material included. Anyway, its sold out. I stumbled across his blog this morning which is very cool if you wanna check it out. I was looking for his interview with Craig Saunders for our Grand Mal Press group read but didn't find it. Anyhoo -

http://www.ryancthomas.com/

http://skinnymanslair.blogspot.com

message 44: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Bill wrote: "haha!! Perfect! I will bring my dog Lillie! Not exactly a rottweiler, but she will try and lick you to death!

I slept like a baby after finishing it. I stayed up all night to finish it because I..."

YAY, the more the merrier!

message 45: by Lenny (new)

Lenny Nero (lennynero) | 119 comments You don't just read this one, you endure it. One of the more grueling reads I've experienced. Right up there with The Girl Next Door and The Painted Bird in terms of sick shit going on. A must read for fans of splatter.

message 46: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Hmm. I have The Painted Bird. Is it really that brutal?

message 47: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Addy wrote: "Hmm. I have The Painted Bird. Is it really that brutal?"

More like depressing, but yes, also brutal. It took me over a month to get through because it was bringing me down.

message 48: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Wow. I picked it up in the free book bin at a local thrift store and thought id give it shot. But, maybe later. I was thinking of giving The Summer I Died a try. I heard its gonna be a movie. Is it anything like Jack Ketchum's books?

message 49: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Similar to Ketchum. It is one of the best stories I ever read with the character development exceeding the splatter factor.... and there is quite a bit of splatter. Highly, highly recommended.

message 50: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Thanks eleven! I think I'll read it. I've read the sample already, so I think I'm gonna continue and finish. I'll definitely be back to write about it.

« previous 1