Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Sherie's August Reads

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherie (new)

Sherie Kidwell | 26 comments Fractured by Karin Slaughter (4.5/5) Will Trent and his new partner are very non-stereotypical cops and I found them both compelling. The plot was somewhat less successful for me.

Corpse Suzette by G.A. McKevett (4/5) Fun as always with some gentle commentary about inner versus outer beauty.

Bait and Switch by Barbara Ehreneich (3/5) She tried to duplicate for white collar workers the excellent Nicked and Dimed in which she took on low wage blue collar jobs and reported on what workers endure. Her plan didn't work however because she was never able to get a job so the book turns in to a repetitive saga of phony networking opportunities and useless seminars. It would have made an interesting article but it doesn't fill a book.

Innocent in Death by J.D. Robb(4/5) A particularly creepy plot resolution. I didn't think the subplot about an old girlfriend of Roarke's was successful.

The Coffee Trader by David Liss (3.5/5) I was looking forward to reading about Sephardic Jews in 1659 Holland but the plot about financial machinations was confusing and mostly boring to me and the characters were not likable or well developed. I did learn some interesting history.

How to be Good by Nick Hornby (4.5/5) The characters in this book aren't particularly likable either but the narrator was somehow relatable as she reacts to her husband's conversion from curmudgeon to saint. Hornby writes with a lot of wit.

Red River by Lalita Tademy (4.5/5) This wasn't as good as Cane River but still well worth reading. It is both heartbreaking and inspiring.

The Appeal by John Grisham (4.5/5) I think Grisham's books range from horrible to excellent. When he writes with heart and passion and combines that with a good story it makes for a great read like this one. A lot of the reviewers on Amazon gave this poor reviews because they thought it was too political. I thought this book about the manipulation of a state supreme court election to be quite timely.

Fat Free and Fatal by G.A. McKevett (4/5) Another enjoyable Savannah Reid mystery.

On a personal note I wish to thank all of you who have prayed and sent good vibes regarding my health. For now, the cancer is in complete remission. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it stays that way for a long time.

Sherie from CA

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Sherie that is TRULY great news about the remission!! That old M/T mojo still works! As for your books, glad you're still enjoying Savannah & company. One of my favorite series!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Sherie:
CONGRATULATIONS on the good health report!! I am hopeful and will pray the cancer stays in remission!
Like you, I enjoyed both Lalita Tademy books. Cane River was my favorite of the two. Red River was very heartbreaking and worthwhile. I am glad I read both of them.

Sherie wrote: "Red River by Lalita Tademy (4.5/5) This wasn't as good as Cane River but still well worth reading. It is both heartbreaking and inspiring.
On a personal note I wish to thank all of you who have prayed and sent good vibes regarding my health. For now, the cancer is in complete remission. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it stays that way for a long time. "

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Sherie wrote: "For now, the cancer is in complete remission. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it stays that way for a long time.
..."

Yes!!

{{high-fiving Sherie}}

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3568 comments "Sherie wrote: "For now, the cancer is in complete remission. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it stays that way for a long time.
..."
"

great news, sherie!

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Sherie wrote: "For now, the cancer is in complete remission. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it stays that way for a long time.
..."
Great news! Fingers and toes stay crossed.

message 7: by annodluvsbks (new)

annodluvsbks | 101 comments Sherie,
That's wonderful news! I wish for you continued good health. And as always, I love your reviews! :)

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments >>On a personal note I wish to thank all of you who have prayed and sent good vibes regarding my health. For now, the cancer is in complete remission. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it stays that way for a long time<<

Fantastic news! So glad to see this, and ditto what Donna wrote about your reviews.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Sherie ~ thanks for the great monthly review!

and...I just love good news too :)

message 10: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Sherie wrote: "Fractured by Karin Slaughter (4.5/5) Will Trent and his new partner are very non-stereotypical cops and I found them both compelling. The plot was somewhat less successful for me.

Corpse Suzette..."

Sherie, thank goodness your health is improving.

message 11: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Sherie said: "On a personal note I wish to thank all of you who have prayed and sent good vibes regarding my health. For now, the cancer is in complete remission. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it stays that way for a long time. "

Sherie, this is GREAT news! I'm so happy for you!

Jan O'Cat

message 12: by Claudia (CJ) (new)

Claudia (CJ) | 133 comments Sherie, such good news I am so happy for you!

message 13: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Great news Sherie, you are in our thoughts.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Sherie...we don't know each other, but I'm very happy that your health is improving! I will say a prayer this continues and you have many happy, healthy years of reading to enjoy. We have several recent reads in common. Sue Grafton, Karin Slaughter, Michael Connelley and Harlan Coben...I'm reading Hold Tight right now. I agree the Grafton on the elder abuse was tough and Karin Slaughter's latests entries have been dark. Have you ever tried Nevada Barr or Janet Evanovich? These are both on the lighter side. Take good care of you.

message 15: by Sherie (new)

Sherie Kidwell | 26 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Sherie...we don't know each other, but I'm very happy that your health is improving! I will say a prayer this continues and you have many happy, healthy years of reading to enjoy. We have several..."
Thank you and everyone else for your kind comments. I haven't met any of you in person but I do feel we have a strong bond through books. I did read the first few Evanovich novels but they were repetitive and the humor was a little too slapstick for my taste. I've also read a few by Nevada Barr and was just not compelled to read more. I don't find her particularly light. I don't read just heavy dark stuff. I like Donna Andrews, Mary Kay Andrews, and I read some chick lit like Sohphie Kinsella.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cane River (other topics)
Red River (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lalita Tademy (other topics)