Book Snails Book Group discussion

Vicious (Villains, #1)
This topic is about Vicious
Book of the Month -- 2019 > BOTM September 2019: Vicious by V.E. Schwab

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vickie (last edited Sep 04, 2019 09:16AM) (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Alrighty fellow Snails, with 30% of the vote, September's BOTM winner is Vicious by V. E. Schwab. Please remember to use spoiler tags. Happy Reading!

message 2: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Sep 04, 2019 05:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

StarMan (thestarman) | 1851 comments Mod
Thanks, Vickie! (and thanks for the email notification of the winner).

This book has an aggregate 4.25 GR reviewer rating, which is unusually high. I hope that means it's really good! Only 2% of reviewers gave it 1 or 2 stars (pretty rare also!).

Genre is fantasy/SF/adult fiction

Blurb:   (view spoiler)

Erin | 631 comments This has been on my TBR list for awhile so I’ll try to tackle it in the second half of the month!

Janessa I just read this book this past spring for a different book club! It was quite enjoyable and even though it was not necessarily the type of book I would normally pick for myself, I still found it very easy to get through. I am excited to see what you all think!

message 5: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don't know if I'll get to this book this month, but I finally got an eBook version. Sounds interesting.

Erin | 631 comments I started it a couple days ago. I’m enjoying it significantly more than the book I have to read for my book club (which I actually hate 😂)

message 7: by Velvet (new) - added it

Velvet | 2 comments StarMan wrote: "I don't know if I'll get to this book this month, but I finally got an eBook version. Sounds interesting."

Same here! Looks like a good book and can't wait to start it when I'm finished with my new Margaret Atwood.

Erin | 631 comments Anyone else reading this one? I’m getting close to the end!

message 9: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hi Erin and all. Hope y'all are enjoying VICIOUS.

I finished it. I say 3+ stars, not quite 4 for me. But I can see why many people give it 4 or 5.

No spoiler review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

10 Q&As with author Victoria Schwab: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2013/...

message 11: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

Since the month is almost over....

Some random discussion questions for the group. Feel free to answer 1 or more, or discuss other aspects not listed here:

1. Who was your favorite and least favorite character?

2. Of the EO abilities in THIS book, which one would you want most, if any?

3. Did you have a favorite scene?

4. What didn't you like about VICIOUS? Would you have liked to see a different plot twist?

5. What did you think of the ending? Would you read Book #2?

6. Can you recommend another heros/villains/superpowers book that you enjoyed?

If your posts include big SPOILERS, please hide them via spoiler tags, or include a warning for folks who havent' finished the book yet.

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 631 comments I finished and gave it 3 stars.
I think Mitch was my favorite character. Eli was definitely pretty awful.
None of the abilities were particularly appealing to me, but I guess the self-healing would be pretty awesome. I have absolutely no desire to raise the dead!
I definitely want to read the 2nd book. It seemed that Sydney’s powers (view spoiler)

Janessa When I read it I gave it 3 stars as well.
Mitch and Sydney would probably have to be my favourite characters.

What I struggle with in books like this is trying to be interested in the story of a protagonist with such grey morals. I agree that Eli needed to be stopped, but Victor didn't feel like a good person to be rooting for either. It makes me wonder what their little crew will be up to in the following books, because he seemed like a pretty dark character throughout the novel. Maybe I'll read the next book, but I am also fine leaving it at this one.

I did enjoy that Schwab wrote unique take on how people come by their EO abilities in this world. It felt like a fresh twist on the idea of super powers and super heros.

message 14: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

Good point on the grey morals.

I liked Sydney & Mitch. And I'd have to pick Vale over Eli. At least Vale wasn't intent on killing every EO out there.

I was rooting for someone with brains enough to chop off Eli's head, toss six hand grenades at him, or shoot him with a rocket launcher (let's see him recover from that). Does that make me a villain?

A similar book is Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, if anyone needs more superpower plots.