All the Books! discussion

The Turn of the Key
This topic is about The Turn of the Key
Archive - Past Group Reads > The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
When she stumbles across the ad, she’s looking for something else completely. But it seems like too good an opportunity to miss—a live-in nannying post, with a staggeringly generous salary. And when Rowan Caine arrives at Heatherbrae House, she is smitten—by the luxurious “smart” home fitted out with all modern conveniences, by the beautiful Scottish Highlands, and by this picture-perfect family.

What she doesn’t know is that she’s stepping into a nightmare—one that will end with a child dead and herself in prison awaiting trial for murder.

Writing to her lawyer from prison, she struggles to explain the unravelling events that led to her incarceration. It wasn’t just the constant surveillance from the cameras installed around the house, or the malfunctioning technology that woke the household with booming music, or turned the lights off at the worst possible time. It wasn’t just the girls, who turned out to be a far cry from the immaculately behaved model children she met at her interview. It wasn’t even the way she was left alone for weeks at a time, with no adults around apart from the enigmatic handyman, Jack Grant.

It was everything.

She knows she’s made mistakes. She admits that she lied to obtain the post, and that her behavior toward the children wasn’t always ideal. She’s not innocent, by any means. But, she maintains, she’s not guilty—at least not of murder. Which means someone else is.

Start Date: September 1st, 2019

Robin | 12 comments yay!!!! i just started this a couple days ago so i am ready!!!! :)

message 3: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Awesome!! After I read the Death of Mrs Westaway, I immediately grabbed all her other books, so I'm excited for this one!

Robin | 12 comments i liked both the Death of mrs. Westaway and this book better than a couple of her others but definitely have enjoyed most of her books.

message 5: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Got my book on Friday! Gonna start it this week!

message 6: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Finally reading this one! It starts off pretty slow so far.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Hi Everyone. I started this book (audio) yesterday. Looking forward to it picking up speed...!

message 8: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
Oh good! I need someone to discuss this with. My friend and I are reading it together right now. I'm about a little over halfway.

I will warn you though.. I'm on like page 200 and it's still moving a little slower than her books normally do.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim This is my first Ruth Ware book. I have waited 6 months to listen to it from the library!

I’m at the part where Rowan is first left alone with the kids and she just came back into the kitchen where Petra was left eating banana chunks.

I’m not sure if Rowan is absent minded based on other earlier parts in the book or this is part of the “thrill” aspect :)

message 10: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (last edited Oct 31, 2019 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
I think it's part of the "thrill" aspect. She's done solo families before, so she's not dumb... plus she keeps losing a ton of sleep. However, she does do things that make you wonder why. Just wait.. more weird stuff happens. Like I said, it's a slow mover but it gets creepy.

If I could recommend a good Ruth Ware book? I suggest In a Dark, Dark Wood

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Thanks! I will add that to my reading list! Was “the woman in cabin 10” any good?

Robin | 12 comments Kim wrote: "Thanks! I will add that to my reading list! Was “the woman in cabin 10” any good?"

ive read a lot of her books already and i liked the woman in cabin 10 better than in a dark, dark wood so yes, i would recommend it definitely.

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Thanks! I have been reading a lot of Karen Slaughter books. Thought I would give Ruth Ware a go!

message 14: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
If you like Karen Slaughter, then you'll like Ruth Ware for sure!

message 15: by Sara, The Meme Mod! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara | 3861 comments Mod
okay finished the book last night. when you're done I found a clip where Ruth explains some things and clears some things up.

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I’m about 50 percent done!