European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Mary Called Magdalene: Part 1

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Part One: The Demons here.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments I am really having a hard time getting going with this book. The first chapter is dragging by and I find I have to reread the same pages over and over because I am not able to stay focused on the story. Anybody else??

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) too long book- too short a life. So, I've given up.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments Vikz wrote: "too long book- too short a life. So, I've given up."

I am starting to share that sentiment. Although, George's Cleopatra book was quite long I really got into it from the very beginning. Just cannot make myself get into this one.

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments It's gotten better for me once I got passed the trip to Jeruseleum. That part was slow for me too, and a bit dull.

message 6: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 9 comments I am now well past the first section and have to say I am really enjoying the book. The trip to Jeruseleum was a little tedious but I thought it picked up afterwards. It has continued to be interesting for me since too.

message 7: by Frances (new)

Frances | 25 comments I've finished the book, and I think the whole thing was slow, though some bits were better than others--I loved Cleopatra too--I think perhaps it's because Mary is so passive. She doesn't really do anything, she's just an observer. What do you think?
Also, I must confess, I couldn't remember what group was reading this, and I didn't look in this group because, well, it's not Europe -- how did this book get picked for European Royalty?

message 8: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Frances wrote: "I've finished the book, and I think the whole thing was slow, though some bits were better than others--I loved Cleopatra too--I think perhaps it's because Mary is so passive. She doesn't really do..."

We do one European Royalty read a month, and then because people were interested in general history as well, we added one group read a month that covers general history (which is how Memoirs of a Geisha and Gone With the Wind get chosen along with this book).

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I don't love the book, but I'm enjoying it for the most part. Some parts here and there still move a little slowly for me, but nothing too bad. I am kind of ready for the next section to start up though. I've never read a Margaret George book before, so I can't compare this to her other books.