Play Book Tag discussion

Night Boat to Tangier
This topic is about Night Boat to Tangier
September 2019: Cultural > Night Boat to Tangier - Kevin Barry 5/5

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1142 comments I finished this book just hours before the Booker shortlist came out. I had already made my predictions on the shortlist and as much as I would have loved to see this book on the list, I just didn't have a good feeling about it.

This book as an example of "less is more" in terms for writing. A whole life is told from a ferry terminal in 224 pages. The writing was exemplary and clever. Funny!

Two old friends discuss their lives, their friendship, their enmity, love, a daughter.

I must have the soul of an Irish because I'm telling you, I love these Irish authors.

"Watch your words most of all. Watch for the glamorous sentence that appears from nowhere - it might have plans for you. Watch out for the clauses that are elegantly strung, for the string of words bejeweled. Watch out for ripe language - it means your words may be about to go off."

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 03, 2019 05:40PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1732 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I finished this book just hours before the Booker shortlist came out. I had already made my predictions on the shortlist and as much as I would have loved to see this book on the list, I just didn'..."

I love Irish writers too. I think three of my favorite books this year were by Irish authors. Come to think of it, one of the things that I liked about my husband was his Irish relatives.

Thanks for the reminder about the short list. I haven't seen it yet.

Susie Amiatu | 4175 comments I’m so glad you loved it. I thought it was exceptional and am so sad it didn’t make the shortlist.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 3276 comments I have this one on hold and am looking forward to it!