European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Mary Called Magdalene: Part 2

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Part Two: Disciple here.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I'm at the part where Mary is starting to follow Jesus. This book is kind of funny to me - I enjoy it when I'm reading it, but I don't really feel compelled to pick it up. Kind of strange. I've been feeling that way quite a bit lately with other books, so maybe it's just a phase I'm going through. I feel like I have read a lot and not much has happened.

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances | 25 comments Did anyone see Dead and Loving It, the Mel Brooks spoof of Dracula? I know it's awful, but everytime one of the disciples said "master," I could hear that little guy in the movie...

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Frances wrote: "Did anyone see Dead and Loving It, the Mel Brooks spoof of Dracula? I know it's awful, but everytime one of the disciples said "master," I could hear that little guy in the movie..."

Ha ha, haven't seen or heard of that movie, but Mel Brooks is funny! I'll have to get it on Netflix sometime.

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments This book is finally picking up for me and is pretty enjoyable. Has anyone else made it this far? I know some people were having problems in the beginning (including myself).

message 6: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 9 comments Sara W wrote: "This book is finally picking up for me and is pretty enjoyable. Has anyone else made it this far? I know some people were having problems in the beginning (including myself)."

I actually finished the book last week. I enjoyed it. There were a few things I did not agree with but overall found it entertaining. Of course I really like biblical historicals so this one was right up my alley book wise too.

message 7: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I've never read a biblical historical fiction book before, so it was a little weird at first seeing Jesus as a character (I'm not very religious either, so I thought my initial reaction was a bit strange).

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Sara, if you haven't read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, you simply must add it to your list and read it soon! It is the only biblical historical fiction I have read and it was great. You do not have to be religious to like this book! At least check it out.

message 9: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 9 comments Chrissie wrote: "Sara, if you haven't read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, you simply must add it to your list and read it soon! It is the only biblical historical fiction I have read and it was great. Y..."

Yes the Red Tent is very good. There are many others I have read that are also good but again I like biblicel fictions.
Orson Scott Card did a Women of Genesis series
Marek Halter has several
Eva Etzioni-Halevy has several
Rebecca Kohn has some too
Their books are set in bibilcal time periods and cover many different biblical characters. I have enjoyed all the biblical fictions I have read by these authors.

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks for the recommendations! I have heard of the Red Tent but didn't know what it was about. After reading this book, I'm definitely open to reading some more biblical fiction.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Wen, I am going to go check out the books you listed above - thanks. Does the same hold true for them as The Red Tent - that one need not be religious to enjoy them?!

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Thanks Wen, I was most intrigued by the author Orson Scott Card, the reviews were definitely more favorable than for the other authors', so I could start there. Card's Women of the Genesis is a trilogy begun by the book on Sarah. Thank you.