Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Can't change author's name

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan | 13 comments I want to change an author's name to reflect more closely that used for most of their books. Unfortunately, as they are a Goodreads author, as a librarian, I can't do this.

"Sorry, this author is on Goodreads and is responsible for editing their own data."

Luckily, the author is happy for me to act on their behalf in this. Well, you'd think so, but when I try and make the change from inside their account:

"Sorry, only users with librarian status can edit book and author data."

I don't think it can be expected that every author who wants to correct their name can be expected to become a Goodreads librarian. Does anyone have a solution to this surprising problem.

Otherwise I have wasted a lot of time changing the book data to reflect the name on the books, and will have to change it all back so that they appear on the one profile.

Many thanks!

message 2: by Scott (last edited Sep 03, 2019 02:44PM) (new)

Scott | 16336 comments There are specific rules regarding author names and they should not be changed once GR has approved a particular one.

Without knowing the particulars of your issue it is impossible to comment on it further.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan | 13 comments Scott wrote: "There are specific rules regarding author names and they should not be changed once GR has approved a particular one.

Without knowing the particulars of your issue it is impossible to comment on i..."

Is there any *potential* solution to this problem, Scott?

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16336 comments Basically, the author name should match what is on the books, so you were correct in doing that.

An exception is if the author name includes what is on the books. Say they want to have their middle initial, but it isn't on the books, that is okay, because the rest of their name is there exactly.

I have no idea which author this concerns so it's difficult to suggest a precise solution. It would probably be best for you or the author to contact support, as only they can alter a GR author name.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan | 13 comments Okay I'll do that, thanks.

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Dan,
please note that 'Lama' is a honorific title and should not be added to the author name

message 7: by Dan (last edited Sep 05, 2019 03:35AM) (new)

Dan | 13 comments I've checked this with support, and the titles in question won't be included in the name on the author pages.

I now wanted to clarify the following from the manual: "When editing or adding information for a book written by an author with multiple names, enter the author's name as it appears on the front cover as the primary author. The author's other names may be added in the other author fields."

So is it correct that the name (with title) on the cover of most of the books will be the main author for those books, and the Goodreads author name appearing in the second field?

message 8: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5022 comments The general rule of thumb is no titles. There are exceptions but these are made in specific cases (e.g. women using Mrs. + husband's names, and Lord Byron).

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan | 13 comments Emy wrote: "The general rule of thumb is no titles. There are exceptions but these are made in specific cases (e.g. women using Mrs. + husband's names, and Lord Byron)."

Thanks Emy. But do we add the name on the cover to the untitled name as a second author? One reason might be searchability. (I am currently doing my best to research this for myself too, and learning on the way.)

message 10: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5022 comments Name on cover minus titles (unless one of the above exceptions applies).

Ones that frequently are added and should be removed include Sri and Lama

message 11: by Dan (new)

Dan | 13 comments Okay thanks.