Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > How to be interesting at a party - 7 books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments This blog from bookbub has an eclectic mix of books. If this stuff is being discussed at parties, then I'm clearly not going to the right parties. What do you think?

https://www.bookbub.com/blog/how-to-b...

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5309 comments I am definitely not a party person.
Although I am interested in politics, I try not to talk politics because it can become too contentious.

This is an interesting list. I put A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century on my wishlist and I would also be interested in the one about Mr Rogers.

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3031 comments I think this listicle has some interesting book recommendations... just with an unnecessary click-baity title.

I talk about books at parties, but it seems like people don't read much or are not reading in the same genres / titles so I typically try to find out (1) do they read and if yes (2) find common reading ground and go from there.

message 4: by Johanne (last edited Sep 03, 2019 01:54PM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments I actually like parties (especially with friends) but if I feel pressured to be "interesting" I´d rather stay home and read :)
That quantum physics book is just up my husband´s alley, so I´m getting that from my library-work tomorrow (just checked, it´s there).

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments There are many ways to be interesting at a party, but the least way to be interesting is to talk about something like you know what you are talking about when you've only read one book on the issue.

I did add two books to my list.

Beyond Weird and The Good Neighbor

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments This sounds like the pretentious person at the party trying to analyze a New Yorker article without knowing what they're talking about. With that being said, some interesting books on the list.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7110 comments Well...I am not sure I would talk about any of these books at a party except Batch Cocktails: Make-Ahead Pitcher Drinks for Every Occasion-which I actually did talk to one of the Librarians today while volunteering!

message 8: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 03, 2019 03:43PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments They all sound interesting to me, but I think people's eyes would glaze over if I started to talk about quantum physics or the middle ages out of the blue. Or maybe I would be surprised.

The discussion of Internet languages does come up with people I know, but it's more along the lines of complaining about how younger people write. I think I might find it interesting.

I do feel a need to understand China - or rather I'd like my kids to learn about it because it could impact them in the future. But I think they'd be more interested in the book about mixology or food.

I love it when there are other readers at a gathering. At the last party, I mentioned that I'd won many books on goodreads. I found that a lot of people feel very overwhelmed by this site, and they don't know where to start.

message 9: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8015 comments Booknblues wrote: "Although I am interested in politics, I try not to talk politics because it can become too contentious...."

This. Very much this. Right now, the politics in my province make me so angry (think Trump-lite; oh, did I say that out loud!? Sorry!). Unless I know I'm chatting with someone who agrees with me, I can't.

message 10: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5309 comments LibraryCin wrote: "This. Very much this. Right now, the politics in my province make me so angry (think Trump-lite; oh, did I say that out loud!? Sorry!). Unless I know I'm chatting with someone who agrees with me, I can't. ..."

I hear you.

message 11: by Theresa (last edited Sep 03, 2019 11:03PM) (new)

Theresa | 6063 comments Well I understood the article to be subject areas to study up on to be interesting, and here are some books to get you starfed, not to discuss the actual books. That said, politics are not discussed in any party I have attended since 2016 because it only depresses everyone. Science is unlikely too. Now food...especially restaurants and cooking -- oh yeah.

I actually talk books quite often at parties, often fairly generally - genres, latest fiction, interesting biography or memoir, what everyone seems to be reading. But that is also because of my social networks..people who read.