Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Recipe Box
This topic is about The Recipe Box
Archives > The Recipe Box, by Viola Shipman

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stacey D.  | 1725 comments So, okay, I'll gladly admit that the reason I wanted to read this book was because of the recipes for his grandma's yummy baked treats the author was kind enough to include. About halfway in, I even made the homey and delicious Triple Berry Galette, which I recommend to everyone.

The timeless story proved to be a real treat, too. It's a cozy, comforting read, with characters you want to give a big ol' hug to by the end of the novel. In a New York minute would I move to this sprawling fruit orchard and pie emporium in tranquil North Michigan. This is a story of family, food and following your true path in life. There's no hidden agenda here. It's sort of a Hallmark story, albeit with a bit more modern grit and sassy humor than your usual Debbie Macomber fare. At times the author (aha! there's a surprise here...) gushes too much about a certain disgraced FoodTV chef and beats you about the head on the 3 F's, but all in all, I found myself drawn to this heartwarming tale, which I obviously read for Week 47: a book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.)

Kathy | 2199 comments I read this book earlier this year and found it so comforting to read. I love books with recipes also!