21st Century Chat > Goodreads Hacks

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2567 comments Mod
Happened across this article with some interesting hacks for Goodreads:
https://bookriot.com/2019/08/12/goodreads-hacks/amp/?__twitter_impression=trued

message 2: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2298 comments Thanks Marc. Very useful information.

message 3: by Marc (new)

Glad you found it helpful, LindaJ^. I'd been trying to figure out how to have an unfinished books shelf without making it look like I either read those books or still wanted to read those books.

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2065 comments Mod
I added the abandoned shelf for that reason.

message 5: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) Marc wrote: "Glad you found it helpful, LindaJ^. I'd been trying to figure out how to have an unfinished books shelf without making it look like I either read those books or still wanted to read those books."

Oh oh oh oh - this is glorious! I have a dream of starting over completely w/ GR b/c of my ratings (or lack thereof) and all the mess I've created on my shelves. This could be very helpful if I ever get a good two years to do nothing but reshelve all my books! Thanks so much. I love some of these hacks.

message 6: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2569 comments Mod
I think I knew about all of those - I have several exclusive shelves. The old feedback group was very good for that kind of thing but sadly that has gone for good...

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 59 comments Thank you, very helpful! Good to actually use some GR tools

message 8: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 560 comments The one about the library extension is interesting!

message 9: by Marc (new)

I've been using the library extension a bit this year--it's great!

I'm still struggling with having too many books on my TBR list and wanting them to have some priority so that I don't lose track of the ones I'm most interested in... I've seen people use different "tiers" of shelves (e.g., 1st, 2nd, etc.) and I tried creating a "high priority" shelf, but the waves of new (or new-to-me) titles ends up re-ordering everything. I think this is more about me and less about GR not having the tools I need. Many times a book I think I want to read is related to something going on at the time and then when I come back to the book, I can't even remember why I wanted to read it!

message 10: by Ella (last edited Oct 22, 2019 05:52PM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) Bretnie wrote: "The one about the library extension is interesting!"

I keep a spreadsheet of my reading every year, and one of the things I track is how much money I spend or save (by borrowing from a library or buying on sale, etc) every year.

Last year was the first year I used Library Extension through the full year, and I estimated that I saved quite a bit of money. Even so, the huge amount I spent was not encouraging. So this year I've been more demanding with myself. If the library has a book, I wait for it, even if I want to read it now, etc. If I suspect that my library will get a book, I give it some time before buying. And I've been reading my own shelves more than usual. I don't have full numbers, but this much I know - having the library extension box on every page that has a book for sale has definitely saved me money. I also configured it to link me directly to the libraries on my list, so I usually double-check now. It's NOT a perfect extension, but it's a great reminder to check the libraries!

BTW, just checked this year's sheet, and while all of this is not library savings and I haven't read every single book I borrowed, the figure thus far is $4935.13 (and that doesn't include tax.)