Period Eight - Independent Reading Updates discussion

Reading Update #1 - IGNORE THIS

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss (last edited Sep 30, 2019 12:28PM) (new)

Miss Miller | 15 comments Mod
UPDATE: DUE Wednesday, October 9th.

This is where you will be updating your progress in the book you are reading.

Find what number reading update we are on and go to that discussion.

When you go to the comment box, click "add book/author." Once you do so, search the book you are reading and click it. Next, in the comment box, type the page number you are currently on. Lastly, write a detailed description about what has happened in your book. 5-8 sentences would be appropriate (MINUS QUOTE LENGTH). You must use a quote from your book in your response. Additionally, you must use proper citations (author and page #) and SPECIFIC DETAILS in your response.

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Seibert | 6 comments The Silver Chair
I am on page 202. I am at the point where the book is extremely captivating. I have found that with most of C.S. Lewis's books, it starts out a bit boring but soon gets exciting, something many other books don't have. This book is no different than most of C.S. Lewis's other. In this book, Jill and Eustace are tasked by Aslan, the great lion to find the lost prince Rilian. They stumble their way into a giant's city, though fled after discovering the giant's purpose for them. They found themselves in a place called underland while trying to escape and deep inside, they find the price, though enchanted. They break the spell and kill the evil witch holding him hostage but the underground sea near the castle starts rising and a possible fire rages in the heart of the city. Jill, Eustace, Puddleglum, a companion, and the prince have to escape back to Narnia. On page 199, C.S. writes, " 'Oh, what can be happening?' cried Jill. 'Fire and water and all those people dodging about the streets.' 'I'll tell you what it is,' said Puddleglum, 'That witch has laid a train of magic spells so that whenever she was killed, at the same moment, her whole kingdom would fall to pieces.' " The adventurers must find their way out or else die deep below the surface in underland. I wonder if they will escape and if so, how. -Nathan Seibert

message 3: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Mitchell | 5 comments Darke
I am on page 71 because I just started the book. Since I started it, many exciting things have happened. First, Alther accidentally got banished by Marcia. Also, Simon was FETCHED by a THING that took him to the owner of the two-faced ring. Apart from that, on the way to see her parents for the first time in a few years(she ran away with Simon), Lucy meets a woman on the boat that ends up being Snorri's mother(sorry there's a lot of characters). Also, it is Septimus and Jenna's birthday eve, but Sep(Septimus) is acting weird. He is approaching his DARKE week where his father as an apprentice gave up. Jenna says to him,"...one of the reasons he gave up, he said, was because he was going to have to do a bunch of DARKE stuff and he didn't want to bring it home..." And everyone is worried about Sep. The next day(their birthday), Septimus goes down to the sickbay and checks on Syrah who is in the DISENCHANTING chamber. She is there because she had once been inhabited by a Syren. Septimus tells her that he is going to try and find Alther in the DARKE halls for his DARKE week. Everyone was wishing Septimus and Jenna a happy birthday. They are really popular with Jenna being the Princess and Septimus being Extraordinary Apprentice. Sep got a letter from Simon(his brother) and Lucy got to her parents. Her mom was mad but accepted the fact that Lucy and Simon were getting married. That's as far as I got. Sorry it's confusing.
-Kyla Mitchell

message 4: by Simon (new)

Simon Stump | 6 comments Animal Farm
I am on page 100 of the animial farm. I just got to the part where napolean chases snowball out of the farm and begins his totalitarian regime. Previously the animals had driven the farmer of his land and were running the farm by themselves. The pigs with there suprior intellect quickly take controll and begin usurping extra rations while doing less work. Additionaly Napolean trained an army of nine dogs to indimidate anyone who dissagres with him, while also brainwahing all the sheep to chant mindlesly in order to drown out any opposing voices. The animals also all take up the mantra "whatever goes upon three legs or has wings is a friend." This is the part that I am at so far. Simon Stump

message 5: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 5 comments [𝒷𝑜𝑜𝓀:𝑅𝑒𝒹 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃|22328546][𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇:𝒱𝒾𝒸𝓉𝑜𝓇𝒾𝒶 𝒜𝓋𝑒𝓎𝒶𝓇𝒹|7074943] 𝐼 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒾𝓈𝒽𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒷𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝑅𝑒𝒹 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒷𝓎 𝒱𝒾𝒸𝓉𝑜𝓇𝒾𝒶 𝒜𝓋𝑒𝓎𝒶𝓇𝒹. 𝐼 𝒽𝒶𝒹 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝒷𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝒶 𝒻𝑒𝓌 𝒹𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒶𝑔𝑜 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝓈𝑜 𝒸𝒶𝓅𝓉𝒾𝓋𝒶𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝒷𝓎 𝒾𝓉, 𝓈𝓅𝑒𝓃𝒹𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝓂𝓎 𝒻𝓇𝑒𝑒 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒾𝓈𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒾𝓉. 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒷𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝒾𝓈 𝒶𝒷𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒶 𝑔𝒾𝓇𝓁 𝓃𝒶𝓂𝑒𝒹 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝐵𝒶𝓇𝓇𝑜𝓌 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝑔𝓇𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝓊𝓅 𝒶𝓈 𝒶 '𝑅𝑒𝒹', 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝒽𝒶𝓈 𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒷𝓁𝑜𝑜𝒹 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓃𝑜 𝓈𝓅𝑒𝒸𝒾𝒶𝓁 𝒶𝒷𝒾𝓁𝒾𝓉𝒾𝑒𝓈. 𝒯𝒽𝑒 '𝒮𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈' 𝓇𝓊𝓁𝑒 𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓇𝑒𝒹𝓈, 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝓈𝓅𝑒𝒸𝒾𝒶𝓁 𝒶𝒷𝒾𝓁𝒾𝓉𝒾𝑒𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝒷𝓁𝑜𝑜𝒹. 𝐼𝓃 𝑒𝒻𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝓈𝓉 𝒻𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹, 𝒦𝒾𝓁𝑜𝓇𝓃, 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓈𝒸𝓇𝒾𝓅𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃, 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒹𝓈 𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓈𝒽𝑒 𝒽𝒶𝓈 𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓈𝓅𝑒𝒸𝒾𝒶𝓁 𝒶𝒷𝒾𝓁𝒾𝓉𝒾𝑒𝓈 𝓌𝒽𝒾𝓁𝑒 𝓈𝓉𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒷𝓁𝑜𝑜𝒹. 𝒪𝓃 𝓅𝒶𝑔𝑒 70, "𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒾𝑒𝓁𝒹 𝒹𝑜𝑒𝓈 𝒾𝓉𝓈 𝒿𝑜𝒷, 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓂𝑒 𝓊𝓅 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒷𝑜𝓁𝓉𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝑒𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝓇𝒾𝒸𝒾𝓉𝓎. - 𝐵𝓊𝓉, 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝒽𝑜𝓌, 𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒻𝑒𝑒𝓁 𝒶 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔." 𝒜𝓈 𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒶𝒷𝒾𝓁𝒾𝓉𝓎 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓃𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝒾𝓃 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓃𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝒶 𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎 𝒾𝓂𝓅𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒶𝓊𝒹𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝒷𝓎 𝓂𝒾𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒, 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒦𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 (𝒷𝑜𝓉𝒽 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈) 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝓊𝓃𝒹𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝒾𝓇 𝓌𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓃𝑒𝓌 𝓉𝒾𝓉𝓁𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶 𝒯𝒾𝓉𝒶𝓃𝑜𝓈, 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓁𝑜𝓈𝓉 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓅𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒩𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒶 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓂𝒶𝓇𝓇𝓎 𝑀𝒶𝓋𝑒𝓃, 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓅𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝒩𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒶. 𝒪𝓃𝑒 𝓌𝓇𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶 𝓀𝒾𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒹. 𝒪𝓃 𝓅𝒶𝑔𝑒 87, "𝐹𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓃𝑜𝓌 𝑜𝓃 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓁𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑒𝒹𝑔𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝒶 𝓀𝓃𝒾𝒻𝑒. 𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒻𝒶𝓁𝓈𝑒 𝓈𝓉𝑒𝓅, 𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝓌𝓇𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝒹, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓈𝓊𝒻𝒻𝑒𝓇 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓉." 𝐵𝑜𝓉𝒽 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑀𝒶𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝒹𝒾𝓈𝒶𝑔𝓇𝑒𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇'𝓈 𝒽𝒶𝓇𝓈𝒽 𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒿𝑜𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝒸𝒶𝓇𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝒢𝓊𝒶𝓇𝒹, 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝓇𝑒𝒷𝑒𝓁𝓈 𝒶𝑔𝒶𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈. 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶 𝓂𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓀𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝓈𝑒𝒸𝓇𝑒𝓉𝓈 𝒾𝓃 𝑜𝓇𝒹𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝓊𝓇𝓋𝒾𝓋𝑒. 𝐼𝓃 𝑒𝒻𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓁𝒹 𝒶𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌 𝒾𝓉, 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒸𝒶𝓇𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝑔𝓊𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝒽𝒾𝓉𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎'𝓋𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝓉.

message 6: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 5 comments ( 𝒫𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝒯𝓌𝑜) - 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶 𝒾𝓈 𝑜𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝓉𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝓇𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝒾𝓈 𝒸𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓁𝓎 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓌𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝑀𝒶𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝒷𝑒𝓉𝓇𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶. 𝒪𝓃 𝓅𝒶𝑔𝑒 354, "𝒢𝑜𝑜𝒹-𝒷𝓎𝑒, 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒. - 𝐼 𝓉𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝑜 𝒽𝒾𝒹𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝑜𝓃𝒸𝑒. 𝒴𝑜𝓊 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝓁𝒾𝓈𝓉𝑒𝓃𝑒𝒹." 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒹𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝓇𝓊𝑒 𝒸𝑜𝓂𝓅𝒶𝓃𝒾𝑜𝓃 𝒾𝓈 𝒞𝓁𝒶𝓎, 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓅𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝒩𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒶. 𝒯𝑜𝑔𝑒𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝓂𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓈𝓊𝓇𝓋𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒽𝒶𝓇𝓈𝒽 𝓌𝓇𝒶𝓉𝒽 𝑜𝒻 𝑀𝒶𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝒩𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒶. 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒻𝒾𝓇𝓈𝓉 𝒷𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝑒𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓈 𝑒𝓃𝒹𝓈 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒶 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒞𝓁𝒶𝓎 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓆𝓊𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝑀𝒶𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒾𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝐵𝑜𝓌𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝐵𝑜𝓃𝑒𝓈. - 𝐸𝓂𝑒𝓇𝓈𝑜𝓃 𝒵.𝒞.

message 7: by Chumnuo (new)

Chumnuo | 15 comments Absolutely Almost
I am on page 14 of my book. So far, my book is pretty boring. The main character, Albie, is a kid who struggles in school. He is getting a "babysitter" to help him study, and to take care of him. His friend Erlan, and his family, are getting filmed for something. I think It's for a reality TV show but I'm not sure because I haven't gone that far in the book. The camera men can't go into the bathroom though. That's good for Erlan's family. That's very very good for Erlan's family. I don't really like this book so far, but I have only gotten to page 14, so I don't know much about the book and can't really make a good judgement about it. Albie seems to have a mean mom because in the book it says, " "Albie's not a rock," she said. "

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex | 5 comments Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold
I am on page 102 of my book. So far, Ben Holiday (The main character) has bought a magic kingdom off of a company for one million dollars. He is the king of land-over (Magic kingdom) and his servants are a wizard, a dog, and two mythical creatures. He has discovered that everything is not how it is supposed to be since land-over hasn't had a king for over 20 years. I do not know what happens after he finds out because I am not there yet. One quote is, "Well, doesn't the throne tax in some fashion so that there should be money?" on page 85.

message 9: by Greta (new)

Greta H | 4 comments Hour of Need
I left off on page 29 of the book. So far in chapter one, I was introduced to a couple, Lee and Kate Barrett, going out for dinner on their anniversary. As they were walking back to their car, and suspicious looking man came up to them, pointed a gun at them, then proceeded to take their keys, wallet, and purse. He then walked away, but not before shooting Lee, and then shortly after, Kate. Their two children (6 yo and 4 month old) were being babysat by their teenage neighbor Julia, and later found out that the Barretts had died. In chapter two, you jump to where Lee's brother, Major Grant Barrett, is fighting in Afghanistan. As the chapter progresses, Grant gets into an ambush attack, and despite the win, learns that he cannot trust anyone. With the victory, Grant soon learns his brother and his wife have been killed, and gets ready to go back to the US. Grant comes the the US and discusses the plans of what to do with Carson and Faith (Barretts children) and plans to take them from their foster homes and live in the house they grew up in. As Grant is ready to sleep in his car, unsuccessfully getting into the house with no key, he meets Julia's grandmother, Nan, after she has pointed a gun at him. Julia helps Nan to come to her senses, and not shoot Grant. The reason why Lee and Kate were shot is still unknown, and this is something that stuck with me. On page 25 it states, "...Lee's murder sounds . . . efficient." This leads me to wonder what, or rather why, Lee and Kate were killed.

message 10: by Eli (new)

Eli | 3 comments Frankenstein
I am on page 115 of my book and in the middle of Frankenstein’s monster regaling his tale. He is currently telling of a family from a cottage that he spied on and learned from and is currently reading Paradise Lost, Plutarch’s Lives, and The Sorrows Of Werter. One quote from my book is “You accuse me of murder; yet you would, with a satisfied conscience, destroy your own creature. Oh, praise the eternal justice of man!”

message 11: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo | 4 comments TEMERAIRE BOOK 4: EMPIRE OF IVORY

I am on page 30 of my book.
so far, Laurence and his dragon Temeraire have journeyed from turkey with several hundred soldiers strapped to Temeraire's back. Arkady the wild dragon and his gang of followers are also carrying wounded soldiers away from the forces of Napoleon's army. Upon arriving back safely in England, Laurence meets his friend and fellow aviator Jane Roland who updates Laurence on the dire conditions regarding the dragons residing in England. Jane tells Laurence that many dragons have fallen sick and are currently being kept in "Quarentine Coverts". She also tells Laurence that once the dragons fall ill they never get well again. Naomi Novik Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4) by Naomi Novik

Naomi Novik, EMPIRE OF IVORY, Page 26: "The very young ones hold up best, and the old ones linger, it is the ones in between who have been dying. Dying first, anyway; I suppose they will all go in the end."

message 12: by Ida (new)

Ida Wilkins | 4 comments History of Wolves - Emily Fridlund

I am currently on page 54 of my book. This book was actually recommended to me by my mom, and has been pretty good so far. It isn't about wolves at all, so that's good. The title threw me off a little because I didn't really want to learn about wolves so. So far this book has been very intriguing. The beginning was mostly describing their cold, dreary town and her town far from civilization. How she walks very far to and from school every day in the snow, through the woods. Then it talks about school and focuses in on this girl and this teacher. I won't go into depth but let's just say that part was a little uncomfortable. Then It introduces Patra and Paul, her neighbors, and talks about her life. Then she starts babysitting Paul.