Period Seven - Independent Reading Updates discussion

November 2019 > Reading Update #1

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss (last edited Oct 24, 2019 06:11PM) (new)

Miss Miller | 5 comments Mod
DUE DATE: Saturday, 11/16.

Update us on your progress in your independent reading book here! Remember to search for your book title and include the page number in your post. You should write 3 to 5 sentences.

Your post should answer one, or multiple, of the questions below:

What do I like about the book so far?
What do I dislike about the book so far?
What is happening in my book right now and how am I reacting to it?
Who are the characters? How are they progressing as the story goes on?
How is the plot progressing? What is happening in the book?
What are some predictions I have?
Is this a type of book I usually read? What makes me like stories like this?
What can I relate to in this book?

message 2: by Ainsley (new)

Ainsley Davis | 4 comments I like the way that the author in my book is starting to describe the characters and starting to give them personalities of their own. However the beginning moving very slowly and not much has happened and I am pretty far into the book. I predict that something exciting is going to happen and then the book will start to move faster and more will happen.

message 3: by Ainsley (new)

Ainsley Davis | 4 comments I like the way that the author in my book is starting to describe the characters and starting to give them personalities of their own. However the beginning moving very slowly and not much has happened and I am pretty far into the book. I predict that something exciting is going to happen and then the book will start to move faster and more will happen.

message 4: by Jace (new)

Jace | 2 comments I like most aspects of this book because it combines suspense with people being super suspecting and also some action.

message 5: by Marya (new)

Marya Mahamadou (24mahamadoum) | 4 comments My book "The Girl I used to be", has some things i favor that i personally like. I would like the way, whenever there is a new chapter there is like a aesthetically pleasing background in the back of it. Also, the way the font/text looks is also pleasing to me. These are the types of books i would read like; sci-fi, horror, or drama.I like the stories cause compared to other genres of books.

message 6: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Roeting | 7 comments I like how there is mystery element to the book I don´t like how there is so many different meaning to words we know. We are finding out what jonas has to do for his assignment. We start finding out more and more as the chapters go on and we start finding out more and more about the community they live in. I think jonas will fully realize there is something wrong with where he lives. I don´t feel like its something i would usually read But i like the mystery factor of the book.

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Stoltzfus | 4 comments I like this book because it is very interesting. The author, Carl Hiaasen, describes the struggle of getting the adults to realize that the construction zone is on the homes of the ground owls. The kids vandalize the site so they can not progress the building. Hoot

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis Miller | 6 comments WhatI think of my book the Compound is going is good because it has alot of action and I like action. What I dislike is how achapter ends on the good parts. What I am readingright now is thefamily having a flash back of the chrismas back then when they were havinh turduckin.Eli is mad that he has to be in the compound. Rex is being a mean person. Clea is just anoying to Eli.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria | 4 comments My book is rise of Kyoshi. It is supposed to take place before Avatar the Last Airbender. It is about Avatar Kyoshi, his past life, and about her beginning. The main characters so far are Kelsang, Jianzhu, and Kyoshi. They are looking for the next avatar in the Earth Kingdom. The story takes place in the world were there are 4 elements, water, earth, fire and air. The avatar is the only one who can bend all 4 elements and is the bridge between the normal world and the spirit world. So what is happening is after the previous avatar from the water tribe died they world is trying to find the next avatar which is too be born into the Earth Kingdom. There was an Earth Kingdom test to find the next avatar but since that has failed they tried the airbender method. The airbender method was to put out thousands of toys and there are four from prior avatars one from each nation. If they pick the 4 toys belonging to the previous avatar then they are the next avatar. Now an orphan picked one of the toys but ran away because she were apprehensive of 2 grown men handing out free toys. Her name was Kyoshi and now they need to find her incase she is the next avatar.

message 10: by Makayla (new)

Makayla | 5 comments I am reading Paper Towns by John Green. What I like about the book so far is how intriguing it is and how I want to keep coming back to read it. I don't really dislike anything out the book. Some things that are happening in the book right now is Quentin the main character keeps talking about Margo or the girl he likes. His best friend already has a date to homecoming so Quentin is trying to get one as well. I am on page 25.

message 11: by Thad (new)

Thad | 3 comments What I like about the book "True Honor", by Dee Henderson, is that it is about spies and navy seals. What I don't like about the book is that I don't know who is the true bad guy because a friend almost took one of the spy's life and the friend would do a thing like that randomly. What is happening in my book right now is the navy seal is going to help the spy find who really tried to kill her. The two flew to DC to get a read on who is behind this. I am shocked that the navy seal would go to help the spy willingly to bring justice while he is on leave. The two main characters are the navy seal and the spy. The navy seal's name is Sam. The spy's name is Darcy. The two of them are starting to like each other romantically and I think they will date each other soon. The plot is building that the two are going date and solve the disaster that has occured. I predict that they will solve this disaster and that they will date. Also, I think that the friend was doing this because his family is in danger and did it to save his family. This book is a kind of book I like to read, I like to read historical fiction and realistic fiction. I like these kinds of stories because they are mainly about government and military operations. I can relate this book to the real world and to events that could occur.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Rybacki | 5 comments My book is The Forgotten Girl By: India Hill Brown. What I like about the book so far is that it is kind of like another book I read (Wait Till Helen Comes By: Mary Downing Hahn.) and it has that horror/scare feeling in each chapter as Iris and Daniel . What I dislike about the book so far after they find a grave. What is happening in the book right now is Iris wants Daniel to come outside with her at night, but Daniel isn't coming so Iris makes up a lie that she is going to Daniels house to grab her tablet, but instead she went back to the grave her and Daniel had uncovered. I predict that it has something to do with Iris meeting the ghost Avery Moore because just like the book Wait Till Helen comes, when Michael Molly, and Heather find a lonely grave and then a ghost comes, this is leading in the same direction, lonely grave, strange noises like someone is there when Iris is alone, and more. This is the type of books I read, not too scary, adventure, mostly fiction. What makes me like these books is that they leave you in suspense and make you want to read more and more and then once the book is over, you still want to know more. I can kind of relate to this book in some ways. I can't relate to the grave or ghosts, but I can relate to hearing strange noises when I am alone or at night when lying in my bed.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis Miller | 6 comments Part 2. What is happeneing in the story is that Eli is haveing a flash back when he had his last chrismas with his brother how died. I predict that Elis brither is not dead he is justl iving by himself or with there grandma. Yes this is a book that I usually read because it has alotof action. How I can relate to this book is that sometimes my brothers can be annoying to me just like Clea.

message 14: by Molly (new)

Molly Holness | 4 comments I read "Beautiful Darkness" by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I finished the book already, but what I liked about it was that there were a lot of twists and turns in the book. As well as many surprises that the characters had gotten. The main character, Ethan, is a regular guy and he had his mom die in the past year of the book. But he still gets to learn a lot of new and very surprising things in this book. The story is also about him meeting this girl who is a Caster, and they're in a small town where nothing changes, except when she came everything changed. I only didn't like this book because one of the characters died. In the sequal I'm reading now, I feel like although the dead character won't come back, I feel like he might come back spiritually. Especially since this book is full of surprises.

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Lauver | 6 comments I am reading maze runner scorch and I like it because it continues the maze runner story. I like the new characters that it brings into the series. Characters like brenda,the cranks, and brenda's group. The other group of girls that did the maze also. And it involves teressa and thomas trying to find each other.

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter Hummel | 5 comments I don't like the book so far because there is a lot of people that die

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Bittner | 3 comments Turtles All the Way Down I'm reading the book turtles all the way down. I like the book because I like books that are kind of mysterious and always leave you not knowing what's going to happen next.

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter Hummel | 5 comments i like the book because people don't really know what's going on yet so they are confused and are scared because the have no idea.

message 19: by Jacob (last edited Dec 20, 2019 10:45AM) (new)

Jacob | 5 comments The book I am reading is "The House of Hades" and I like it because it has a lot of great action and drama. I also like it because of the interesting characters and the dynamic they have with each other. But the main reason as to why I like the book is because of the mythical aspect of it and the mythological part that has a huge role to play in the story. (I am on page 76)

message 20: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Roeting | 7 comments Im reading (The One and Only Ivan) and i am on page 100 I like how the book gets straight to the point and really doesnt have you wait until you get to the good part. I do usually read these kind of books mainly because its easy to read and I don't struggle to understand. The only thing I dislike is the chapters are really short