Sir Walter Scott Appreciation discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Please introduce yourself if you are interested in doing the Walter Scott Challenge with this group.

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Sep 03, 2019 10:54AM) (new)

I will kick this off by introducing myself. I am the originator of this group. I have loved Scott since I read Ivanhoe and loved him more when I read about his life and what a man of integrity he was. So few of his works are read now but it is my hope he will become better known. Whilst not all his books are of the same quality nevertheless they are far superior to most of the books produced today in terms of use of the English language and story.

I am an avid reader since the age of 3 and am never without something to read. I love the Classics, mysteries and some contemporary. I have discovered recently a liking for Southern US literature which I am exploring and audiobooks, for those times I can’t read a book. I read very little online and much prefer the printed format. I once had many books but due to several moves I keep only my absolute favourites and try to read only books I can get from the library.

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
I'm Rosemarie and have been part of this group since the beginning. I love to read, especially the classics. I hadn't read any books by Scott until I joined this group. I have enjoyed discovering and reading his works.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Morgan (lkam) | 1 comments Hi, I’m Linda. I’m new to this group and I confess that I haven’t read Scott since High School and that was a long time ago. I’m looking forward to being part of this group. Thank you for extending the invitation.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 46 comments I'm Lori. Scott is one of my favorite authors and I ended up doing a marathon of all of his novels some years back. I probably won't end up doing many re-reads, but I might follow along with the discussions. I think my favorites by him were Anne of Geierstein and The Pirate.

There was a part of Guy Mannering that came to mind recently, and I'm trying to figure out if I should incorporate it into an essay I've been working on. I was happy to see that it's next on the list here.

message 6: by Tracey (last edited Sep 04, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I'm Rosemarie and have been part of this group since the beginning. I love to read, especially the classics. I hadn't read any books by Scott until I joined this group. I have enjoyed discovering a..."

Hi Rosemarie, As always I look forward to your thoughts as we share Scott’s works together. 🙂

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Linda wrote: "Hi, I’m Linda. I’m new to this group and I confess that I haven’t read Scott since High School and that was a long time ago. I’m looking forward to being part of this group. Thank you for extending..."

Hi Linda thank you for joining. I hope you will be able to join in with some of our reads. We are a small group but make up for it in enthusiasm. I look forward to enjoying Scott’s works together.

message 8: by Tracey (last edited Sep 04, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Lori wrote: "I'm Lori. Scott is one of my favorite authors and I ended up doing a marathon of all of his novels some years back. I probably won't end up doing many re-reads, but I might follow along with the di..."

Hi Lori your comments are always very welcome and much appreciated. Thank you for your encouragement to us all to continue in this challenge.

message 9: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Fingersnarl (fingersnarl) | 3 comments Hi. My name is Mack but my nom de plume is P.D. I’m a fan of most 18th century literature from penny dreadfuls, gothic, historical, and philosophical. I really fell in with Scott when I purchased a set of old pocket editions that someone sold to the second hand bookstore I worked at and I would spend my breaks reading them. I’ve recently taken up Waverley for another go.

message 10: by Tracey (new)

P.D. wrote: "Hi. My name is Mack but my nom de plume is P.D. I’m a fan of most 18th century literature from penny dreadfuls, gothic, historical, and philosophical. I really fell in with Scott when I purchased a..."

Welcome Mack. We are a small group but dedicated group. We have read Waverley and you can find our discussion on the discussion board. We have Guy Mannering coming up in November and hope you can join us for that. Look forward to your comments and thoughts on all things Scott.