The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2019 > 20.1 - Most Improved Player - LaureY's Task: A Walk Through the Glens

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2019 12:02PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
20.1 - Most Improved Player - LaureY's task: a Walk Through the Glens

Scotland has been my home for over 30 years now, and I cannot say enough how much I love this country. It contains more beauty by the square than any other place I have ever been.
This task is to celebrate the country that is now more than my second home.

This is a one book task. REQUIRED: Indicate which option you have chosen when you post.

Option 1
Scotland’s scenery is unique, and one of the things I always enjoy is the special play of the light on the hills. You could take a photo a day in the same spot, and it would feel totally different every time. Amazing. This is likely due to the fact that you will experience various weather phenomemons in one day, which will include a spot of rain or two!

For this option, read a book with a hill or a mountain on the cover. Ex: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson Nine Princes in Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #1) by Roger Zelazny Montana Sky by Nora Roberts At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier .

REQUIRED: Include the cover of the book when you post.

Option 2
One of the most beautiful places in Scotland is surely the Isle of Skye. My daughter and I took a ‘road trip’ there at Easter this year. We played tourists, and went up several of the beauty spots on the island: the Old Man of Storr, the Fairy Glen. We also had a wonderful walk up the Fairy Pools, a truly enchanted place where the turquoise waters of the pools vie for attention with the surrounding dark volcanic Cuillins hills.

For this option, read a book that contains all the letters of FAIRY in the title/subtitle.

Option 3
Gaelic used to be spoken all over Scotland a few centuries ago. Now, the language is only really heard in the northwest of the country. Gaelic pronunciation is devilishly difficult to grasp for my gallic palate and tongue, and I can only say a few words of it. Nonetheless, I like to know what the surrounding place names mean. I lived for a long time in a crofter’s cottage called Tigh na Spiorad (pronounced Tai na Spirit) - the House of the Spirit - and yes, it was supposed to be haunted!

Gaelic has only eighteen letters in its alphabet, so no J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y or Z.

For this option, read a book where the letters J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y, Z do NOT appear in the title, subtitle, or author’s names.

message 2: by Laure (last edited Oct 10, 2019 04:22AM) (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Approved

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin Darjeeling A History of the World's Greatest Tea by Jeff Koehler

message 3: by Laure (last edited Nov 14, 2019 12:03PM) (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Not Approved

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter The Roots of Heaven by Romain Gary

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Option 1: Would you accept this cover?

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple Where'd You Go, Bernadette

message 6: by Zach (new)

Zach | 177 comments Does this book count?

The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel

A bit of an artistic interpretation, but I think clearly meant to be hills/mountains.

message 7: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Suzanne wrote: "Option 1: Would you accept this cover?

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple Where'd You Go, Bernadette"

Yes, I can clearly see stylised mountains in the bacground. Agreed. :)

message 8: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Zach wrote: "Does this book count?

The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel

A bit of an artistic interpretation, but I think clearly meant to be hills/mountains."

No, this is fine too. Agreed.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments It's quite distant, would this qualify for a mountain? Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin

message 10: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Melanie wrote: "It's quite distant, would this qualify for a mountain? Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin"

It is quite distant but I can see it is a mountain. Approved! :)

message 11: by Cindy (last edited Oct 01, 2019 09:10AM) (new)

Cindy | 883 comments Will this qualify for a mountain/hill Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter Thanks in advance!

message 12: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Hi Cindy,
I am sorry, but they look more like cliffs than mountains.
I will have to say no on this one. :(
Laure

message 13: by Ritika (new)

Ritika (ritikap) | 213 comments Darjeeling A History of the World's Greatest Tea by Jeff Koehler
Hi, will this do for option 1?

message 14: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Ritika wrote: "Darjeeling A History of the World's Greatest Tea by Jeff Koehler
Hi, will this do for option 1?"

Yes, there are clearly mountains in the bacground. Approved!:)

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 677 comments Would this work for Opt. 1? The Roots of Heaven by Romain Gary

message 16: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Ed wrote: "Would this work for Opt. 1? The Roots of Heaven by Romain Gary"

Hi Ed,
I am sorry, but I cannot make up my mind if there are clouds or mountains- so maybe a bit too stylised. :(
I am sorry, not approved.