What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Emperor's Railroad (Dreaming Cities, #1)
This topic is about The Emperor's Railroad
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Science fiction, post-apocalypse, low tech, travelling knight. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ioana (new)

Ioana Neagu | 5 comments I read this book about 2 years ago. It seemed like it was written recently (probably in the last 10 years).

I can't remember when some of the following details were revealed in the book so this description very likely contains spoilers.

The story took place at some point in the future. I don't recall it ever being indicated or even implied when but it was after some sort of apocalypse. Maybe a nuclear war. The main character often encounters old rusted cars or ruined buildings from before the apocalypse.

The main character is a knight or some form of law enforcer who travels around on horseback. It seems that there used to be more people like him but he is one of the few left. He works for some elite group (who might be an artificial intelligence - if i'm not confusing this with another novel). This entity has laws that settlements cannot advance beyond very basic technologies - Medieval level. If they do get too advanced, a dragon (or some similar type monster) comes and destroys the settlement. It is later revealed that the dragon is some sort of machine. The main character defeats it at the end of the story even though it will likely get him in trouble with the group he works for.

It is mentioned that several large cities (I can't remember the names but they were in the USA) were destroyed in the apocalypse by nuclear weapons and the land around them was melted in the process - making large fields of glass. These areas are never visited in the novel but mentioned.

At the beginning of the novel, the main character meets a boy and saves him from a group of people infected with some sort of plague which made them very zombie-like - but they are not referred to as zombies. At the end of the book, the boy is revealed to be the narrator of the novel.

I can't remember anything about the author but I presume that the book was written and published in the USA because the story took place there. I don't remember the book cover either.

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 242 comments I found this series. It does have a guy riding around on a horse in the wake of a nuclear war, but it seems like you would have remembered the Christian undertones.

Chiveis Trilogy by Bryan M. Litfin

https://www.goodreads.com/series/60967

message 3: by Ioana (new)

Ioana Neagu | 5 comments Bonnie wrote: "I found this series. It does have a guy riding around on a horse in the wake of a nuclear war, but it seems like you would have remembered the Christian undertones.

Chiveis Trilogy by Bryan M. Lit..."

Thanks for the fast reply. I checked the description at the link you indicated and I don't think that's the book that I read. The one that I read didn't have any religious aspects to it. In the book there are some creatures which the local people consider to be monsters or supernatural creatures, but the reader can easily understand that they are actually machines. In this book, the main character (maybe not actually a knight but some sort of law enforcement job) was working for either a secret organisation or an AI (or group of AIs).

message 4: by David (new)

David | 3 comments The Emperor's Railroad
(Dreaming Cities #1)
by Guy Haley

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments The Emperor's Railroad for the link.

message 6: by Ioana (new)

Ioana Neagu | 5 comments David wrote: "The Emperor's Railroad
(Dreaming Cities #1)
by Guy Haley"

YES!!! That's it. Thanks.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure that out. I want to read the sequel (The Ghoul King) but until now I didn't know how to find its title.

message 7: by Ioana (new)

Ioana Neagu | 5 comments Rosa wrote: "The Emperor's Railroad for the link."

Thanks.