Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Pushing Brilliance (Kyle Achilles, #1)
This topic is about Pushing Brilliance
Group Reads > September 2019 On the Run Group Read: Pushing Brilliance by Tim Tigner

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Sep 01, 2019 08:07AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4667 comments Mod
Our September On the Run Group Read is Pushing Brilliance. Join in the discussion!

message 2: by Agnieszka (last edited Sep 02, 2019 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 150 comments I'm so looking forward to this one - I like this author's style and his fictional inventions.

A note to those of you disliking to read series out of order - there's a novella set prior to this book Chasing Ivan

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 150 comments I started the book last night and read most of the first part. It's different than what I expected still I love it very much, especially the very short chapters (there's not change in POV after each chapter, so the reading flow is still not broken, but it helps if I have only a very little time and can read entire chapter that way & it is helpful if I want to mark a chapter that is particularly interesting or important in my opinion).
I'm still wondering if his former boss has any impact on his situation or why the prequel ended the way it did.

At the beginning I was a little confused because I missed it in the blurb that Katya was Achilles' brother's fiancée and expected a love interest there - we'll see if I got it correct and it will evolve later.

Since it's quite a time ago I read the last book by Tim Tigner I forgot how he manages to write in a way I can still laugh despite some rather difficult and bleak situations the MC finds himself in. For me these are the best kinds of books if they are well written, have plenty of action (though in this one there's not much of it yet) and despite difficult circumstances some great fun. After two of them I already expect some very unrealistic inventions/products though they usually add to the plot and that's why I don't mind them (even if it was often a reason I gave up on books in the past)

Today I won't be able to read as much as I'd like so it's not likely I'll pop up back again.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 150 comments The book is too suspensuful right now so I'm taking a day or two off to read something light and fun.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 150 comments I just reached Part 3

All in all no big surprises in the 2nd part of the book. The only noticable thing to me was when I've seen that I'm still not even half way through the book. I think I'm way too used to a more or less even distribution of pages/chapters in the single parts and so I expected to be at least 65 percent into the story.

message 6: by Agnieszka (last edited Sep 29, 2019 03:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 150 comments Now everything makes sense again. Somehow I missed the 4th part (which I reached now) when checking them out. Still with 33% Part 3 is the longest and had some surprises for me. Some of them I figured out shortly before they were revealed but there were a few I didn't see comming.
Now I'm even more curious about the last part.

All in all it's an interesting book and even if I can't my finger on why I have the feeling it's taking ages to conclusion and lacking in speed and action. I like it enough I expect I'll want to continue the series when I'm finished with this one but my expaction of another 5* book is becoming more and more unlikely - up to now I think it will be a solid 4*.

message 7: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - added it

Lisa P | 1962 comments Mod
Sorry that I didn't get around to reading this one this month as it sounded really interesting.

Thank you Agnieska for all of your thoughts and insights while reading! Even though we didn't read it with you this month, a lot of us have probably added it to our TBR list and plan on reading it at a later time, and it's good to hear that you are enjoying it!

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 150 comments I finished it yesterday and the 4th part was my favorite. There was more action and the pace got a little bit faster, there are still enough open questions regarding his and Katya's future so I'm really anxious to continue the series though no more this year and I hope I won't wait too long.

One of my questions from message #3 got answered as well:
I'm still wondering if his former boss has any impact on his situation or why the prequel ended the way it did.
There’s also a prequel novella, CHASING IVAN, which covers a pivotal mission in Achilles’ career while he was still at the CIA. Best to read that before #3 FALLING STARS. (p 384) - Looks like we learn more in book 3 - another reason for to continue with the series :-)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 150 comments Lisa P wrote: "Sorry that I didn't get around to reading this one this month as it sounded really interesting.

Thank you Agnieska for all of your thoughts and insights while reading! Even though we didn't read ..."

I understand it. In one of my groups I nominated The Secret Life of Bees as book of the month and even if I started it I won't be able to read enough to join the discussion :-( sometimes life and writting style come between us and our reading plans.