Readalongs with Karen discussion

Cannery Row (Cannery Row #1)
This topic is about Cannery Row
Cannery Row > Cannery Row STARTING Discussion questions/thoughts

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Sep 01, 2019 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen | 161 comments Happy September all and thanks so much to everyone that joined in the read-along of 'Tigers in Red Weather' by Liza Klaussmann.
Published in 1945 'Cannery Row' is a novel by American author John Steinbeck.This famous American classic is set during the Great Depression in Monterey, California.
Please feel free to leave discussion questions and thoughts about the book in the Finished thread. Happy Reading : )
Karen x

Rosemarie Part of this book is based on Steinbeck's actual experiences while living in that city.

message 3: by Karen (last edited Sep 02, 2019 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen | 161 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Part of this book is based on Steinbeck's actual experiences while living in that city."
Hi Rosemarie, I think thats what makes these individual stories/vignettes so special.Looking forward to reading what you think in the finished thread.

Susan | 24 comments This is an old favorite of mine, and I’m looking forward to reading it with you all this month. Hope to start reading in a couple days.

message 5: by Adelyne (new)

Adelyne (adelynechan) | 11 comments Sorry, this one isn't for me. Hope those who are joining in enjoy the book, I'll be back next month!

Cindy (cindypp) Listening to this on audio with my Scribd account. I loved Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men so very much looking forward to listening.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this a year or so ago and loved everything about it - so give it a go if you can everyone. It was my first Steinbeck but not my last. (and at my age too!)

Danada | 19 comments Its been a few years since I read this one. I'm looking forward to re-visiting it!

Karen | 161 comments Jen wrote: "Interesting description of Dora's whorehouse as "decent" and "virtuous" - seeing as how she "tolerated no loud or vulgar talk" Im guessing...also how she never "puts aside" those of her girls due t..." Hi Jen, happy you are enjoying the book so far.Looking forward to reading what you think when finished in the finished thread.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Welham | 1 comments Waiting for this to come in at the library!

Onceinabluemoon Thank you for inviting me into your group, as a native californian i have read all of steinbecks books, he is a favorite since my youth. Lived in carmel and monterey for many years, his presence is everywhere, especially in cannery row. I never reread old books, too many new stories flooding the waters, but i am going to get the audio on this, its been many decades since i read it and i know i will enjoy revisiting the gang.

Karen | 161 comments Onceinabluemoon wrote: "Thank you for inviting me into your group, as a native californian i have read all of steinbecks books, he is a favorite since my youth. Lived in carmel and monterey for many years, his presence is..." Hello , thanks so much for joining the group. I'm working my way through reading all of Steinbeck's novels too.Do you have a favourite?

Onceinabluemoon Karen wrote: "Onceinabluemoon wrote: "Thank you for inviting me into your group, as a native californian i have read all of steinbecks books, he is a favorite since my youth. Lived in carmel and monterey for man..."

Its been so long, travels with charlie, of mice and men, grapes of wrath, cannery row, east of eden, red pony, as you can see they all shined for me! He is such a fabric of california living, he represents my youth, i still remember crying in my bedroom preteen reading of mice and men.

Danada | 19 comments I'm hoping to finally get a chance to dive in and read the book this weekend (just in time!) I've just picked up Dark Tales from the library and read the intro waiting in line to pick up some lunch - it sucks you right in. Must finish Cannery Row first! (I've got the sequel in my pile as well).

Karen | 161 comments Jen wrote: "I’m probably not quite going to get it finished in the month as we are having a coast getaway 😎"
Hi Jen, no worries.Happy holidays : )

Susan | 24 comments I was a little put off initially by the tone, partly humorous and easy going, because it is such a difference from The Grapes of Wrath, which I read last year, but now I’m really enjoying it. Although I’m behind schedule ;), I’m savoring the experience.

Karen | 161 comments Susan wrote: "I was a little put off initially by the tone, partly humorous and easy going, because it is such a difference from The Grapes of Wrath, which I read last year, but now I’m really enjoying it. Altho..." Hi Susan, I loved this book a lot