Stephen King Fans discussion

Group Read Discussions > Stephen King Books Chronological Order

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Dec 26, 2021 07:01PM) (new)

Angie | 2568 comments Mod
So this is the list Chris and I are using to figure out what book is next for the chronological read through of King's novels and short stories. I wanted to post this incase people had input on this order. I know I get a lot of messages from people that I have the wrong book for the month so I thought we could have a master list here so people know what book is next. Let me know if any of these books should be switched. If King has a new book published, that book will take the place of the next book in the chronological list.

Carrie (1974)
Salem’s Lot (1975)
The Shining (1977)
Rage (1977)
Night Shift (1978)
The Stand (1978)
The Long Walk (1979) [by Richard Bachman]
The Dead Zone (1979)
Firestarter (1980)
Roadwork (1981) [by Richard Bachman]
Danse Macabre (1981)
Cujo (1981)
The Running Man (1982) [by Richard Bachman]
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)
Different Seasons (1982)
Christine (1983)
Cycle of the Werewolf (1983)
Pet Sematary (1983)
The Eyes of the Dragon (1984)
The Talisman (1984) with Peter Straub
Thinner (1984) [by Richard Bachman]
Skeleton Crew (1985)
IT (1986)
The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three (1987)
Misery (1987)
The Tommyknockers (1987)
The Dark Half (1989)
Four Past Midnight (1990)
The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands (1991)
Needful Things (1991)
Gerald’s Game (1992)
Dolores Claiborne (1992)
Nightmares & Dreamscapes (1993)
Insomnia (1994)
Rose Madder (1995)
The Green Mile (1996)
Desperation (1996)
The Regulators (1996) [by Richard Bachman]
The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass (1997)
Bag of Bones (1998)
Storm of the Century (1999)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)
Hearts in Atlantis (1999)
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (2000)
Dreamcatcher (2001)
Black House (2001) with Peter Straub
Everything’s Eventual (2001)
From a Buick 8 (2002)
The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla (2003)
The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah (2004)
The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower (2004)
Faithful (2004) with Stewart O’Nan
The Colorado Kid (2005)
Cell (2006)
Lisey’s Story (2006)
The Secretary of Dreams: Volume One (2006)
Blaze (2007) [by Richard Bachman]
Duma Key (2008)
Just After Sunset (2008)
Under the Dome (2009)
Blockade Billy (2010)
The Secretary of Dreams: Volume 2 (2010)
Full Dark, No Stars (2010)
11/22/63 (2011)
The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole (2012)
Joyland (2013)
The Dark Man (2013)
Doctor Sleep (2013)
Mr. Mercedes (2014)
Revival (2014)
Finders Keepers (2015)
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams (2015)
End of Watch (2016)
Charlie the Choo-Choo (2016) [by Beryl Evans]
Gwendy’s Button Box (2017) with Richard Chizmar
Sleeping Beauties (2017) with Owen King
The Outsider (2018)
Flight or Fright (2018) coedited with Bev Vincent
Elevation (2018)
The Institute (2019)
If It Bleeds (2020)
Later (2021)
Billy Summers (2021)

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Fox (charlottefox) | 1 comments A beautiful work of art.

message 3: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Charlotte wrote: "A beautiful work of art."

I agree!!

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Here's my question. After your first message about a read, I sometimes can't figure out how to find the thread. If someone hasn't posted in a while, or I haven't, the thread seems to disappear. Where do I go to find a list of the threads? I know there's a list of topics for the group. But I seldom find these discussions listed there.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2153 comments I like the list. I see there are a couple I have not read by him.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 920 comments You left volume 1 of Secretary of Dreams on your list. No one will be able to read that short story collection because it was Cemetery Dance collectors book. Only if you purchased the book when Cemetery Dance offered it or pay over $400 on Amazon for it. The stories aren’t new stories either.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Nancy wrote: "You left volume 1 of Secretary of Dreams on your list. No one will be able to read that short story collection because it was Cemetery Dance collectors book. Only if you purchased the book when Cem..."

Volume 2 is not on the list for the same reason. I have them, but like you said, nothing (except the artwork) is original, so I don't see any reason for them to be included. Same with The Man in Black.

message 8: by James (new)

James (lordgil) | 6 comments That is a great piece of information. I didn't get started with King until my then teenage son introduced me to the Dark Tower series. I love reading in chronological order so I can go back now and pick some of the earlier works I have missed.

message 9: by Nancy (last edited Sep 02, 2019 04:15PM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 920 comments Kandice wrote: "Nancy wrote: "You left volume 1 of Secretary of Dreams on your list. No one will be able to read that short story collection because it was Cemetery Dance collectors book. Only if you purchased the..."

That’s the problem. Volume 1 is on the list.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2153 comments Nancy wrote: "You left volume 1 of Secretary of Dreams on your list. No one will be able to read that short story collection because it was Cemetery Dance collectors book. Only if you purchased the book when Cem..."

I was wondering about that one, which is one I never purchased but now I know why.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark (marke_) | 96 comments This is insanely helpful since I'm behind on the chronological read a bit. Gives me a good source to use to catch back up. I'm 10 books behind so hopefully I'll get caught up before you reach the 90s. I definitely plan on joining on the IT read when we get there regardless of where I am.

Also, since the Stand is on the list twice, are we planning on reading The Stand again for the uncut version? Only reason I ask is I don't have a copy of the original but I do have the uncut version. If so, I'll wait for the group read on the uncut version. If not, I'll just read the uncut version on my own.

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 10 comments Thanks so much for posting this list. It's a big help!

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Mark wrote: "This is insanely helpful since I'm behind on the chronological read a bit. Gives me a good source to use to catch back up. I'm 10 books behind so hopefully I'll get caught up before you reach the 9..."

I don't think we should read both. I wish there were a version of the uncut with the reinserted portions highlighted and any changes marked in some way.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Roch | 389 comments I'm likin' how the next three reads are shown down below on this group's main page.

You know, since we read new books as they come out, we're actually reading out of chronological order. That's good, I suppose, for I don't really want to wait five years to read The Institute. (I just got it today.)

message 15: by Marlise (new)

Marlise (mawz76) | 119 comments Looks like The Institute is getting a limited TV series adaptation.

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I think it would make a great mini-series. It's not that far-fetched and it's contemporary, so a bit easier to adapt.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2153 comments Marlise wrote: "https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/10/stephen-..."

That was quick!

message 19: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments When you are hot why not go with the hot hand. I remember when Carrie first came out then I started reading Da King books I was like in total ah and I still am in 2019 and beyond.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments The Institute will lend itself well to a series. I've finished and despite a BIG ending, nothing else will be that difficult to film and it's very believable.

message 21: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 148 comments Marlise wrote: "https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/10/stephen-..."

Sounds cool

message 22: by Marlise (new)

Marlise (mawz76) | 119 comments It looks like King's next publication will be in the Spring and titled If it Bleeds

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/b...

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Marlise wrote: "It looks like King's next publication will be in the Spring and titled If it Bleeds

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/b..."

A Holly Gibney story.

message 24: by Paulina (new)

Paulina Parzych it's already on the list on Wikipedia :D

message 25: by Paulina (new)

Paulina Parzych I mean the neb book

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2153 comments Kandice wrote: "Marlise wrote: "It looks like King's next publication will be in the Spring and titled If it Bleeds

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/b..."

A ..."

Is he doing another trilogy?

message 27: by Glen (new)

Glen | 218 comments There are soooo many people on the Stephen King Facebook group that hate Holly Gibney. I don’t get it? I look forward to this spring release.

message 28: by Andre (new)

Andre (andre94) | 45 comments I had completely forgotten that Holly Gibney is an existing character when I read that article...

I'm intrigued, especially because it's 4 novellas. Something there for Holly lovers and haters, I'm sure.

message 29: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I had assumed each of the four novellas would be cases Holly works on, but I guess that really is just an assumption.

I really like Holly. A lot! She is an unlovable character that King made me love. I do not picture her as the actress that plays her in the series. I have a very, very detailed picture of her in my mind, though.

message 30: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 920 comments Apparently only one story is a stand alone sequel to The Outsider:

https://stephenkingbooks.co.uk/2019/1...

message 31: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Kandice wrote: "I had assumed each of the four novellas would be cases Holly works on, but I guess that really is just an assumption.

I really like Holly. A lot! She is an unlovable character that King made me lo..."

I love Holly either as portrayed in the series (not at all who I imagined) and the character in the books. Either way, she's great. Looking forward to reading more about her.

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2153 comments Nancy wrote: "Apparently only one story is a stand alone sequel to The Outsider:

https://stephenkingbooks.co.uk/2019/1..."

I didn't realize If It Bleeds contained four stories, I just assumed it was another full length novel.

message 33: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 5 comments Published order can be the same as chronological order but not always. So what order is the list in? Is it published, chronological, or both?

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Roch | 389 comments JSWolf wrote: "Published order can be the same as chronological order but not always. So what order is the list in? Is it published, chronological, or both?"

The list is shown at the top, which is in order as published.

Now that I look at that list, I see SIX SCARY STORIES. While King is associated with the book, as he selected and introduced the stories, none of the stories are his.

message 35: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 5 comments Michael wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Published order can be the same as chronological order but not always. So what order is the list in? Is it published, chronological, or both?"

The list is shown at the top, which is..."

Then the thread title is wrong. These eBooks are not in chronological order. The books are in published order. Can someone fix the mistaken thread title and the first post that also gets it wrong?

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Roch | 389 comments JSWolf wrote: "Michael wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Published order can be the same as chronological order but not always. So what order is the list in? Is it published, chronological, or both?"

The list is shown at t..."

While I see what you mean by "chronological," I just looked up the definition, and the OP isn't really wrong.

Regardless, I think idea of this thread is so that readers can see which books are next for our group reads.

That's all I have to say about that.

message 37: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 5 comments Michael wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Michael wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Published order can be the same as chronological order but not always. So what order is the list in? Is it published, chronological, or both?"

The lis..."

All the list needs is a simple correction. When we read chronological, it means in timeline order which is not always published order. So just change it to published order and it will be corrected.

message 38: by Rick (new)

Rick | 38 comments I understand the distinction you’re trying to make between publication and chronological orders, but with King’s books and collections it almost impossible to list them in a straightforward chronological sequence. They overlap, an individual narrative could cover several years and, here’s the big one, they occur in simultaneously existing alternate realities of a multiverse. That last one alone makes a “chronological” order virtually meaningless. The explanation in the first post makes it clear that the list is derived from publication chronology and not some kind of temporal chronology.

message 39: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments JSWolf wrote: "All the list needs is a simple correction. When we read chronological, it means in timeline order which is not always published order. So just change it to published order and it will be corrected..."

Perhaps you can simply think of the list that way. The rest of the group is using it as a guide to our group reads, so it's ok with us.

message 40: by Staci (new)

Staci Johnson | 102 comments Sorry that I have to ask but what book are you reading for November (chronological list)?

message 41: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 990 comments Thinner

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna (magicbananas) | 4 comments Rage is B.man also :)

message 43: by Alex (new)

Alex Zurita | 3 comments Great list. It is the one I used to try to read all his stories. Currently reading Bazaar of Bad Dreams. i've ready everything chronologically before that except, from a buick 8, storm of the century, blaze and the cell. I wasn't really thrilled with those.

I will say this the only thing not entirely correct in the list is six scary stories. they were edited by SK but he didn't write a single one. so if you're wanting to read his work you can skip that one. If on the other hand you take his recommendation feel free!

lastly not on the list but might be interesting to some Gwendy's magic feather. It's a sequel to Gwendy's button box but written solely by Richard Chizmar.

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori (lori_ewen) | 7 comments Fabulous list!! Thank you so much!! :)

message 45: by Derrick (new)

Derrick | 625 comments Thanks for the list. I'm looking forward to the next few coming up after Misery. If I hadn't just recently read Misery I'd participate in the group read of it. It's okay though. There's plenty to read in the mean time. I've never read The Tommyknockers or The Dark Half or The Stand (cue gasp.) I've also never participated in a group read of any kind online or otherwise. Looking forward to all of it!

message 46: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Derrick wrote: "Thanks for the list. I'm looking forward to the next few coming up after Misery. If I hadn't just recently read Misery I'd participate in the group read of it. It's okay though. There's plenty to r..."

So fun! I hope you enjoy!

message 47: by Derrick (new)

Derrick | 625 comments Angie wrote: "So fun! I hope you enjoy!"

I'm sure I will. My wife is not into reading AT ALL! The discussions we have about what I'm reading are rather one-sided. I think a group read would be a nice change.

message 48: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 920 comments I hope someone will take off the list some of the books that are not available (limited publishing of already published stories), anthology books that have zero SK stories in them (or only one) and non-fiction books about the 2004 Boston Red Sox season.

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Nancy wrote: "I hope someone will take off the list some of the books that are not available (limited publishing of already published stories), anthology books that have zero SK stories in them (or only one) and..."

Why would you want to remove Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season?

message 50: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Mar 31, 2020 07:39PM) (new)

Kandice wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I hope someone will take off the list some of the books that are not available (limited publishing of already published stories), anthology books that have zero SK stories in them (or..."

Honestly I've barley glanced at the bottom of the list. It's a list I found I think on King's website and just copy and pasted it here. I'll keep non-fiction books on the list since King wrote them and we are here to read all King books. Like On Writing. But I'll glance through and pull off what is the non-King books. If I miss one when we get to it I'll for sure notice it then. Thanks!

EDIT: I only saw one book not by Stephen King and that was Six Scary Stories edited by Stephen King.

« previous 1