One Cry in the Night - Landscape, folk and other horrors discussion

A Head Full of Ghosts
This topic is about A Head Full of Ghosts
Main Reads > A Head Full of Ghosts: Part Three (Chapter 23 to close)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Here for thoughts on Part Three (Ch 23 to the end of the book)

Claire | 77 comments I just finished reading this part. I didn't realise how short the last part was compared to the first two.

I'm not going to give my full thoughts yet because I know not everyone will have finished it yet and they might stumble on spoilers. Also I feel like I need to let it all settle in my head first.

I will say that I didn't see that coming.

I enjoyed it, I thought it was gripping and built up the tension well. Some of the story does remind me strongly of another book, which I wont talk about yet as that could be a spoiler too.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts on this.

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Finished up today - I can't quite put my finger on what I think of this. First off I didn't find it scary or particularly a horror, it was really more of a harrowing family tragedy. The poisoning really epitomises that.

One of the more interesting aspects which he touches on is the assumption that way to explain how Marjorie knows so much stuff is because she's possessed, instead of just being smart and well read.

Overall it just struck me as a story of untreated psychosis with a really sad ending.

Hated the blog sections! But overall enjoyed reading it.

Claire | 77 comments Owen wrote: "Finished up today - I can't quite put my finger on what I think of this. First off I didn't find it scary or particularly a horror, it was really more of a harrowing family tragedy. The poisoning r..."

Yes down on blog sections!
I agree, when the thought of possession is put up everything could then be explained by her being possessed rather than her having a mental illness.
It's terrible that none of the people who were in that house spoke up and said that what Marjorie needed was help.

It is a family tragedy and I think the whole story really is tragic. With poor Merry left to pick up the pieces.

This reminded me a lot of We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Two sisters, metal illness, tragic family story and a poisoning.
He does mention in the extras at the back of the book that he's a Shirley Jackson fan.

Yeah I didn't find it scary but it was full of tension I feel of dread of what was going to happen next to the poor sisters.

Side note the Growing Things is a short story in his collection Growing Things and Other Stories.

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Oh interesting, I've not ready anything by Shirley Jackson. I'd definitely read more by PT - is his other stuff what you'd call horror or is it like this one?

Claire | 77 comments His short story collection is a mixture. I've never read much horror but his Cabin at the End of the World is a horror without supernatural elements and Disappearance at Devil's Rock is sort of a cross between a crime thriller and a supernatural thriller I think.

I love Shirley Jackson, I'll read anything by her. My favourites are Haunting at Hill House, We Have Always Lived in the Castle and Sundial. She also wrote short stories if you want a taster of her work.

Owen | 105 comments Mod
ah ok was Haunting at Hill House made into a netflix series. If so I watched it and loved it and would definitely read the book!

Claire | 77 comments Yes I think so. I haven't watched it though.