One Cry in the Night - Landscape, folk and other horrors discussion

A Head Full of Ghosts
This topic is about A Head Full of Ghosts
Main Reads > A Head Full of Ghosts: Part One (Chapters 1-13)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Here for comments on Part 1 (Ch1-13)

Claire | 77 comments I thought I'd get a head start on this because through the groups I've got a quite a few books on my read list plus books I already own.

Before I knew it I'd read 100 pages. I was pulled right in and the chapters just flow so well into each other that it's hard to put down.

I felt that way when reading his other books too.

Owen | 105 comments Mod
I've read part one - it's really compelling (and creepy) isn't it. I always appreciate in a spooky story when there's time taken for character development, that old Stephen King adage of writing interesting characters and thinking of an interesting situation and seeing how it unfolds.

The first person perspective approach is interesting too. Be interesting to see if there's any 'unreliable narrator element to it. A couple of my favourite books have that component and it makes things super uncanny and interesting.

Overall enjoying it, not yet scared but am sure it'll come!

Claire | 77 comments I think the first part is unsettling with a strong sense of foreboding pretty much from the get go.

SPOILER
The scene where Marjorie is talking about cutting out Merry's tongue was so creepy. But I think the real sense of unease and what put me on edge is when she leaves Merry the first note saying she's been sneaking into her room watching her sleep and pinching her nose. That really started the worry for me.

It's interesting what you said about the first person narrative, I suppose Merry could be an unreliable narrator especially because she was so young when all this happened and she's telling the story to a reporter so is she embellishing the story to make it more interesting to get publicity or something.

Owen | 105 comments Mod
yeah that note was super creepy I agree. On the narrator thing - it may not be something the author uses I guess, it's not really shown any signs of that yet.

It's quite a hard thing to pull off too - it's used in The Remains of the Day and it blew me away.

Claire | 77 comments Owen wrote: "yeah that note was super creepy I agree. On the narrator thing - it may not be something the author uses I guess, it's not really shown any signs of that yet.

It's quite a hard thing to pull off ..."

I cant really think off any unreliable narrator books off the top of my head.

I'm looking forward to reading more, i havent been able to read much this week as it's my first week back in work so I've been so tired lol.