The Lost Words discussion

The Man Who Climbs Trees
This topic is about The Man Who Climbs Trees
Main Reads > The Man Who Climbs Trees Part 4: Ch9 - Fortaleza, Ch10 - Idyl, Epilogue

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Owen | 78 comments Mod
Here for thoughts from Chapter 9 to the end of the book

Owen | 78 comments Mod
just wrapped this up, I really enjoyed it. Actually a lot more than I thought I would. The encounter with the Papuan tribe and the harpy eagles were serious standouts, I really don't know how he does it. The medical issues in Gabon too sounded horrific.

He has a really warm, reflective tone that doesn't come off at all adrenalin junkie. I think that's what I'm looking for in books like this, to have some kind of reflection on life and not just a travelogue.

Cool book. Am never going to be climbing trees though!

message 3: by Renay (new)

Renay | 5 comments I liked the book and enjoyed his detailed language. It really helped set the scenes. I was so nervous when he was in Borneo and experienced heat exhaustion, dehydration, and muscle cramps after leaving his water bottle on the ground. I can't imagine climbing a tree much less while dehydrated. Another memorable moment was maggots underneath his skin in the Congo. That made my skin crawl! Overall, it was a nice read.

Claire | 50 comments Hi I thought I'd already commented here but I can see now I didn't lol.

I really enjoyed this more than I thought I would. He is very good at setting the scene.
I agree the Conga part really made me squirm lol.

Owen | 78 comments Mod
Yeah there's definitely a body horror element to go with the vertigo? In a way I thought that made for a stronger overall narrative, that these are alien spaces and we aren't necessarily always welcome up there! The interaction with the harpy eagles I thought was amazing