Literary Fae Book Club discussion

With the Fire on High
This topic is about With the Fire on High
september 2019: wtfoh > part one: pgs 1-64

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (Frayed Books) (last edited Aug 30, 2019 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taylor (Frayed Books) (tayecar) | 82 comments Welcome to our first week back after our break!
This part is from September 1-3.
We will be starting the book and reading until we get to the chapter named 'Malachi'.

What do you think of the main character so far?
What characters do you like? Don't like?

Taylor (Frayed Books) (tayecar) | 82 comments I’m a little late but I finally finished this first part!

I’m really enjoying the book so far. I’m reading it in print form, but I think every other part I’m going to do via audio, as the author is the narrator. So far, it’s really been background and laying the groundwork for the rest of the novel, but I’m totally engrossed!

Emoni is an awesome main character. I think she’s strong and such a good mother. I can’t wait to see what she’s like pursuing her dream of culinary!

‘Buela is an wonderful grandma and role model. I love her! Babygirl sounds so adorable, too. Emoni’s best friend is by far my favorite character other than she!

I’m curious how this new character named Malachi fits into the story as a whole. A love interest, perhaps!? I also love the cute chapter header pictures of food.

Heather | 3 comments A little late to the game here but I'm zipping through this book now and I figured I'd throw my two cents in along the way!
I think Emoni is the perfect main character to get me out of the reading slump I've been in. She isn't perfect but she's trying and that makes her incredibly compelling. She's the kind of character you root for, would fight for tooth and nail. I'm so so glad she decided to take the culinary class. While yes, a study hall would have been good for her time management what with juggling homework and a job and being a mother, she has to have something that's just for her. She's in high school, and the amount of pressure she's under is enormous. Having this outlet, with a chef-first teacher-second instructor is going to do wonders for her potential career as a chef herself.
'Buela is absolutely perfect and if anything happens to her we riot.
I can't wait to see what happens with Malachi either, and I am obsessed with the art!