Desperate BookJunkies discussion

Intro and General Topics > Judging it by its Cover

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Hi Philip,
I do think the book jackets and even the name of the book can have a small part in choosing a book. Even though, I've learned never judge a book by it's cover, my eye still gets drawn to the best looking books and if I don't like the cover than sometimes I try to get it in a different edition.

message 2: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jennifer (desperatebookjunkie) | 205 comments Mod
Philip and CiCi- I have often browsed shelves and chosen books based on their covers. Lately I have been buying ebook format books for my sony reader and have not been able to see "covers" of the books as easy as I can read a small bit about what the book entails.
But yes I think covers can catch the attention of a reader in person, but they can be deceiving!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Covers sometimes creep me out. My mother loved to read horror books when I was a kid. I am still haunted by the book cover from "IT by Stephen King. That darn clown!!! I hate him! I have always been afraid of the whitefaced, creepy mouthed, and weird haired fellows, (I still cringe today as a thirtysomething), but Stephen King nearly drove me over the edge. And how about that monkey on the cover of Skeleton Crew? Scary. Creepy.

And how about that book Magic from the 80's - with the entriloquists dummy on it? Chuckie had nothing onb this thing. I hate those maniacal dolls to this day.

message 4: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jenn wrote: "Covers sometimes creep me out. My mother loved to read horror books when I was a kid. I am still haunted by the book cover from "IT by Stephen King. That darn clown!!! I hate him! I have alway..."

WOW this has to be the most interesting post we have had in the whole DBJ group! I have to agree though "IT" by Stephen King haunts a lot of kids from our generation. I have not seen the monkey on Skeleton Crew. Actually I am a big creepy book fan. I might be interested in this one. You'll have to tell me a bit about this book.

Chuckie and ventriloquists are definatly high on my creep factor! You forgot about wax museums! EEK! Good post Jenn!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Skeleton Crew is a collection of short stories (some of King's best writing is in this book). The introduction alone is worth the read. There are two stories in this book that are just outstanding. The first is more of a novella than short story and is called "The Mist". I don't want to give too many details, but it is a group of people stuck in a grocery store and lots of stuff happens to them. The second must-read is called "The Reach". You can probably pick this up at a library or a used book store for about 25 cents.

King is a master storyteller and a great writer - one of the best of our time in my opinion. He has a non-fiction book called "On Writing" about his writing processes.

message 6: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Yes I just bought his book called "Under the Dome" apparently it was the first book he ever started writing. But the character plot was so large at the time, he felt he couldn't do the book justice. It wasn't until this year he finally picked it back up, with renewed energy and finished it. It is a huge book, and I am totally excited to read it. Have you ever read "Duma Key" by Stephen King, also another awesome book.

message 7: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
about "IT", I was always scaredof clowns for some reason and balloons when I was little, then the movie "IT" came out, why, why, why? did I ever watch it???
I have read the Skeleton Crew collection, I've probably read all of Stephen Kings books up into the past 5 years??? but most I cannot remember exactly. Didn't they make "the mist" into a movie?
I think he also wrote the langoliars or something,about these people on a plane that go through this porthole,maybe and they're the only people left on earth??? It's been so long, I can barely remember, but it was soooooo good... at that time anyways.

message 8: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

I just seen "Avatar" wow it was good! I didn't think I would like it, but it was awesome. (I know this is a movie) but it made me think how covers can be deceiving because the poster didn't really make me want to watch it, but my hubby wanted to, and I am glad we did!

message 9: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
do u think my kids can watch it and like it? because they want to see it and I don't know if it's too grown up.. but then again I did take them to see wolverine, because I LOVE Xmen, bad mama.

message 10: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Oh Avatar would be totally OK for them to watch. It does have fighting in it, but for the most part it is pretty PG. No obvious sex stuff... mostly military related, that might be over their heads, but no more than Wolverine with the military stuff...

I'd let my kids watch it, if they wanted to, which they didn't really care to lol.

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) Avatar was AMAZING! I agree completely, Jennifer. I didn't want to see it either because of the cover. As far as for kids goes... it's pretty much like a Pocahontas story in space. I'd recommend seeing it in theaters; there's nothing else like it!

As far as books go I'll admit I judge a book by its cover. I don't mean to, but it is the thing that grabs at me when I'm browsing at a library or bookstore.

message 12: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jessica, very true! You can't help it. First you see the cover and if it looks good you read the little "snippit" about what the movie or books is about, and depending on how good it sounds, you decide to read/buy it/rent it....
One of my first books I read had a terrible cover, I do not even remember why I bought it... but I had cici read it (gosh I cannot remember the name)! She liked it too, but I wish the cover was better, because the book was amazing.
(Cici what is that book we read a long time ago with the yellow cover about the white doctor who married the african american woman, they both had sons? and the african son ends up homeless, etc.)...

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) Sounds like an interesting book ^_^

message 14: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

It was really good. I know cici will know what I am talking about when she gets around to reading this thread lol. She's slippin, i'll have to go smack her one!

message 15: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
the fortunate son by walter mosley, yes it was soooo good, my frind loved it too and had her boyfriend read it and he loved it!
I don't like the vampire acedemy book covers either, alot of books I've read have ugly covers, very disapointing..

message 16: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
I see Jessica marked the fortunate son to read, you will like it!!!

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) Yes I did! I read the review and it sounded excellent, plus you two recommended it! :) I look forward to reading it.

message 18: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jessica, Yes it still is one of those books that stick in my head. I don't know why I have such a hard time remembering the name lol. It's just one of those things that my brain does to me on occasion. I can't wait for you to read it!

message 19: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I seem to always read books because of the cover and/or title. I don't understand why I do that though.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa S wrote: "I seem to always read books because of the cover and/or title. I don't understand why I do that though."

This is human nature. I cannot tackle a book with a creepy cover or one that is too shiny (all my fingerprints on the cover have me constantly wiping it off - stop laughing!). That is why I love my kindle (no covers) and now I am kicking myself because the iPad is out and there is a kindle app - oh well, I will have to wait for the second generation iPad :-(

message 21: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Lisa, I agree that I do the same thing. The only time I read a book otherwise, is because a friend recommends it lol

message 22: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just seen "Avatar" wow it was good! I didn't think I would like it, but it was awesome. (I know this is a movie) but it made me think how covers can be deceiving because the poster didn't really ..."

Hey I just gotta say Avatar was friggin so cool oh and there will be a sequel...oh yes there will. Also like I told my wife big huge alien chicks are way hot...now I just need to dip my wife in a big pail of blue paint :o)

message 23: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Oh and for all you scared of clowns people, you have to check out the Violator Clown from Spawn that guys a rip and creepy as ever. Plus there's alway Killer Clowns From Outer Space that will turn you in cotton candy which is scary cause then I might become cannibalistic and have to eat myself.
Oh and Zombieland...zombie clowns..that's just way way way creepy. It's like mixing a possum with a naked mole rat...just shouldn't happen.

message 24: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Steven wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I just seen "Avatar" wow it was good! I didn't think I would like it, but it was awesome. (I know this is a movie) but it made me think how covers can be deceiving because the post..."

Everyone is saying Avatar is awesome, gotta check it out.

message 25: by Cici (last edited May 01, 2010 02:30PM) (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Steven wrote: "Oh and for all you scared of clowns people, you have to check out the Violator Clown from Spawn that guys a rip and creepy as ever. Plus there's alway Killer Clowns From Outer Space that will turn ..."

as for clowns I will never watch another scary clown movie, as a little girl I was scared of clowns and balloons and then I watched "IT" why in the world would stephen king make such up such a thing! Worst part I had that stupid clown toy that was in the movie, that got buried deep in the garabage after I watched that.-

message 26: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments oh yeah we all need to send you some clowns Cici :o)
maybe just send you a box with a little red nose in it :o)

message 27: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Steven wrote: "oh yeah we all need to send you some clowns Cici :o)
maybe just send you a box with a little red nose in it :o)"

oh no!

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Oh yes, infact we got one of those Oriental Trader cataloges in the mail the same day I said that and in it, believe it or not, was a box of a dozen clown noses and...get this an adult clown costume :o)

message 29: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Steven wrote: "Oh yes, infact we got one of those Oriental Trader cataloges in the mail the same day I said that and in it, believe it or not, was a box of a dozen clown noses and...get this an adult clown costum..."

creepy... I do like the Oriental Trader catalogs though!

message 30: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments yeah Cici totally creepy

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

The cover for Mockingjay is here

http://lucidconspiracy.blogspot.com/2...

if you haven't seen it.