The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Great Expectations
This topic is about Great Expectations
Book Discussions > Great Expectations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frau Spätzle (new)

Frau Spätzle (soenne) | 145 comments Mod
Great Expectations is our book for September 2019! To start off the discussion, feel free to tell us something about your expectations, whether you've already read it etc. until Stephanie, our moderator for this month, jumps in. Thank you, Stephanie!

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I really want to say Im excited to read this book but I haven’t been excited for much lately. I am going to be reading this one for the first time. How about you? Thoughts on the book or have you read it or seen a screen adaptation of it??

Helene | 66 comments This will be my first book in this group so I have great expectations about that ☺️ I’ve read it many many years ago so I don’t really remember everything so I look forward to reading it again with you guys 😁

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I read this in High School. I really like the depth of characters in Dickens. Excited to read this one and get reacquainted.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 5 comments This too will be my first book with this group and looking forward to this book. Yay!

message 6: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah B (hufflepuffle89) | 1 comments This is my first book for the group, I am just waiting for it to arrive so I can read it.

message 7: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I hope everyone has at least started on the book. How are you liking it?

Does anybody have a film version they particularly like?

Personally I like the 1946 version best but its hard to find now.

message 8: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rowza) | 83 comments First time reading this one and I must say I'm a little intimidated by Dickens. I'm behind on other books I'm reading, so I'll be starting Great Expectations sometime this week!

Helene | 66 comments So far I’m loving it. It’s easy to read and I don’t know about other people but his writing is brilliant and makes me laugh out loud several times with the way pip experience life and describe things. I know it isn’t a comedy but does anyone else do this? His life is just so poor and his outlook so bleak that he just basically hope to survive. But then the lies he tells when he comes back after he goes to play at miss Havisham is just fantastic for instance. And I was sat laughing to myself when I read about it. Hope it’s ok to write this. It’s early in the book so don’t feel like I have written to many spoilers. What is the rules on this please?

message 10: by Gógar (last edited Sep 11, 2019 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gógar (sishio) | 2 comments This is my first book in this group (or any group), so please forgive me if I make any mistake. Also, I'm Spanish, but I'll try my best writing in English!

I have read the entire book, so if you don't, please stop reading.

Overall, I liked it. I think there is two books in one. The first book tells you a story easy to read, that will make you laugh and move your feelings towards the innocent Pip. The second book is really deep, as Elba said. Dickens tells you how Pip falls in love with Estella, or how he thinks he is falling in love. But is more like a need, or like an obsession, because he can't have her. The more Estella acts coldly, the more Pip loves her. That makes you question about what can makes you fall in love.

That "I need the people or things I don't have" also applies for the lifestyle, from humble but happy with Joe, to rich but troublesome with money. About this, there is a line (from Matthew Pocket, I think), that say something like "What did I tell you? You don't have to think, I'll do it for you!".

I like to think that Miss Havisham represents those great expectations. She offers Pip love, money, and a different life. Not that he need it, cause he already had it, but she makes a need in him for all of it, and makes him embarrased of his life. There is a moment when Biddy tells Pip that she wish he could love her the way he loves Estella, and he say he can't. Miss Havisham, in his special revenge, made a miserable life for Estella and Pip. And is when she dies that both of them start to think for themselves and try to be happy.

message 11: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments If you are just getting started reading, here is a fun Dickens fact for you. Chauncy Hare Townshend, to whom the book is dedicated, was a mesmerist (early hypnotist/Crystal ball reader.) He and Dickens both dedicated a book to each other( although I think Townshend got the better end of that deal.) Townshend dedicated his book of poetry entitled, ‘The Three Gates’ to Dickens. Dickens also gave him the original manuscript of the book.
And if you’re wondering, Wisbech and Fenland Museum has the original manuscript now. You can go see it. Although it is in Wisbech, England.

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 49 comments I’m only about 15% in but how funny is Pip?! The part about being a medium in Chapter 4? So clever! 😄

message 13: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments i feel like the rule on spoilers should be just to have a warning before you post them so people can choose to read it or not. (Possible spoilers in the questions.)
Seems like some people are finished with the book and its so near the end of the month. So lets go ahead and talk about it.
This is a link to some pretty great questions.

https://www.litlovers.com/reading-gui...

Lets discuss them!! Or just post organic thoughts on the book.
Hope you enjoyed it!!

message 14: by Caroline (last edited Sep 30, 2019 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 49 comments This novel was particularly hard for me to voluntarily pick up and continue reading. It took too much effort to get to the heart of the story, and I found many of the side-stories and multitude of characters distracting. The beginning of the book I found to be more enjoyable than when he became a man of means, which I imagine relates to sympathizing with a young Pip. The message of suffering was thorough, however, but I think the overall trope of the main character learning to "be careful what you wish for" was somewhat disheartening. Had it ended with Dicken's original conclusion, I believe that the message would have been better adapted and fit more closely with the mood of the story.

For anyone interested, I linked where I found every mention of Great Expectations in GG! Let me know if you think I missed one!
https://www.seecaroread.com/post/medd...

message 15: by Elba (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I did it! I finished 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens today. It took me fooooreverrr. Yes, I started the novel in September. I found the characters to be very intriguing. Miss Havisham and Magwitch were among my most favorite. There was so much detail and the chapters were so long and I had to re-read passages that I had no idea what the old english was trying to tell me. In the end I liked it. It was not easy to read, but the character development was amazing. I think Dickens is trying to tell us that being a good person is more important than social standing and ambition. I so glad to finish.... Did you know there were 2 endings? If so which did you like? I like the one we all ended on. I believe in second chances...

message 16: by Elba (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Caroline wrote: "This novel was particularly hard for me to voluntarily pick up and continue reading. It took too much effort to get to the heart of the story, and I found many of the side-stories and multitude of ..."
I like your review of 'Great Expectations' the tie in to GG. I just finished the novel today and I started it in September with you all (gasp! you might now want to kick me out of your bookclub). The novel had so much going on and it was hard to focus. I liked Miss Havisham and her calculating rearing of Estella... Also the contrast of Magwitch and Conveyson (the dirty rat)...

message 17: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rowza) | 83 comments Elba, I borrowed it from the library and returned it - late - without getting past the first few chapters. You did awesome! I'm going to attempt it again sometime this year. Just need to get motivated for a harder read :)

message 18: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Don’t feel too bad. I didn’t finish it either. Maybe for a re-read. Its a lengthy and weighty undertaking.

Justine (jaimelinus0316) | 3 comments Elba wrote: "I did it! I finished 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens today. It took me fooooreverrr. Yes, I started the novel in September. I found the characters to be very intriguing. Miss Havisham and M..."

I can relate - it took me picking it up 4 times before I finally finished it. (Partly motivated by wanting impress a guy, ha ha!)