Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > Help finding a book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Hello everyone!

I signed up for Cynthia's Seasonal Reading Challenge, and one of the categories involves finding a book that fulfills this task: Fortune telling has long been a Halloween tradition, so read a book with 'fortune' or 'prophecy' in the title -or- that features fortune-telling, prophecy, or predictions as the main theme -or- that has a fortune teller as a main character.

I'd really like to read a PNR or UF book for this but have no idea where to start! The only book I can think of is Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon, but I lent out my copy and won't get it back for a few months. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance :)

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Well I am not sure if you will like the book, but I read The Witches of Dixie by Laura Stamps and really enjoyed it.

It has several short stories of different witches in it, all empowering for women. One of the main characters is a tarot card reader and uses her cards to tell the future. I don't want to say more because I don't wish to spoil anything in case you want to pick the book up.

This is not a romance story, and it doesn't have tons of action in it. Its VERY different then what I would normally read. It is very empowering for women in that in the stories each witch finds herself in a bad situation, ones that we in real life can relate to, and they have to deal with what life deals you and in reading these you really get the feeling of *I can do that too!*.
Very empowering, the author has a way with words that is just incredible.

The book is not for everyone though as I said it has no romance and not really action packed. But I really adore the author and her blogs so I picked this up and ended up enjoying it.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Well, it's kind of tenuous, but Vishous in BDB sees the future. I reckon it plays the biggest role in Butch's book, Lover Revealed.

message 4: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 105 comments The Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance! The main character is a clairvoyant. The first book is Touch the Dark.

The Harry Potter books count, as his whole life is surrounded by prophesy.

There's a werewolf named Antonia in some of MaryJanice Davidson's books who can see the future, and Queen Betsy herself represents the realization of a prophesy.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Thank you for all the suggestions!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 25 comments Hello, I just finished "Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Ageness Nutter, Witch" by Niel Gaimen and Terry Pratchett. There is no romance in the book but, if you like comedies and "Monty Phthon" then you will love this book.

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lover Revealed (other topics)
The Witches of Dixie (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Stamps (other topics)