College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > The Kite Runner--For Those Reading Through

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I'm trying something new with the format for the discussion threads..so bear with me..and let me know what you think of this format compared to the No Spoilers and Spoilers thread.

Use this thread if you are reading through the book and you want to talk about it. For example, if you are anything like me, if something crazy happens in a book I always want to talk about it right after it happens! It's also nice to discuss with others who are reading through it. Please make sure at the top of every thing you post you have a Spoiler warning and say up to what page you are on.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I like this idea. It will make discussions more fun. Good going Jamie :)

message 3: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Sounds good to me!

Can I start by asking, did anyone like Amir at all?

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 13 comments oh, i like that book.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Hey Ashley,

I did not like Amir at all throughout the book until the ending when he get back to America. I thought he was a selfish horrible person until he met his wife. I think what he did to Hassan was unforgivable, the way he treated him and planted evidence on him. He redeemed himself by helping his son but I don't think I fully forgive him.

message 6: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I think he only kinda redeemed himself--the whole time I still felt like he was doing it for himself and no one else. He pretty much did it to make himself feel better. I was glad to see he was capable of loving his wife the way he did though.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) *spoiler- finished*
I never really disliked Amir, he did a horrible thing by staying silent about Hassan's punishment but he was a child wanting his fathers affections. It seemed like he always carried the guilt of it and even though he did save his son to ease his own guilt the boy did have a better life because of it.

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (ljones08) I actually really liked the character of Amir. I think that he is an accurate portrayal of how many people make the awful mistakes of putting others down to lift ourselves up. And while what he did to Hassan was clearly awful, it really shows how people make huge mistakes and have to live with them forever with no chance of redeeming themselves as in Amir's case. I think Khaled Hosseini does such an amazing job of capturing human emotions and making his audience feel those exact same emotions

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I'm starting on this one soon..

I'm nervous. I've heard really great things and really horrible things. I know that obviously that is how it is with most everything..people will love it or hate it..however..I've heard such STRONG reactions both ways.

On a side note, I hate reading a review that tells me I'm a moron if I like this book. It makes me self conscious and I haven't even begun. I don't like books based on people's reviews but it sticks in my head when I read something like that.

message 10: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Wow, better late than never. I received this book as my clue for Secret Santa in July. I was skeptical at first because I don't like political reading. I was pleasantly surprised. Don't put it off if you think it is going to be too political.