Night Shift
This topic is about Night Shift
Short Stories & Collections > I Know What You Need -NS

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2316 comments Mod
Discuss this story here!

Betsy Boo (BetsyBoo) | 195 comments Honestly, this was one of the creepiest stories...at least to me. And when I read it this time I realized that it might not be over, even though the story was done!

Kandice | 2868 comments This story creeped me out too. I was telling Rob I have it on audio as well, and the readers voice lends even more creep factor! It just seems so yucky. Here you think you are in love, or at least falling in love and you realize it's all a parlor trick. How would you ever trust your feelings again? I don't know that I would be able to, and who wants to live like that anyway?

message 4: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

One time I dated a stalker type. Yea it was fun because we did whatever I wanted, he bought whatever I wanted, we talked about what I wanted but that can only be good for so long. I don't want my life to be all about me me me... sometimes I want to share someone else's interests. It is creepy dating someone like that. But what is real creepy is this guy has been following her around since like grade school. YIKES!

Kandice | 2868 comments That was the worst part to me too! he's been "spying" and "studying" since she was in pigtails, but he just shows up now? Again...yuck!

Betsy Boo (BetsyBoo) | 195 comments "Parlor trick"...I like that. I actually dated someone who was very manipulative also, although not quite on the same scale as this guy. You're so right that it takes a long time to learn to trust your own judgement after something like that. And to learn to trust other people.

Rachel | 701 comments I think the reality of this story makes it so creepy. I kinda found myself at the beginning really liking the guy and when i realized what he's up to, i just felt kinda dirty.

message 8: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

All that stuff in his closet... scary!

Kandice | 2868 comments I know what you mean, Rob. He had absolutely no chance at a real relationship because he set himself up for failure. He would never be able to feel he was good enough for anyone just being himself. It IS sad in a way.

message 10: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well I know what you mean too. I think it is sad also.. hopefully he finds someone needy who wants there man to be like that.

Bonita (NMBonita) Yeah, I felt sorry for the guy. He only wanted to love someone and be loved in return but didn't know how to go about it. He wasn't needy. He wanted what everyone wants.

Why do you think King chose Hammer for Ed's last name? Because he liked to ham it up? I would have like to hear more about Ed Hammer and what he did afterward. What if he were stalked by a gold digger?

Some girls dream of having a bf like that, to be showered with gifts and attention but that's childish thinking. Materialistic.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I couldn't help but feel sorry for this guy, too. He seemed to mean well.

Stacie (StacieH) I couldn't really feel sorry for him, he creeped me out too much! The Ed we met in the story was a sociopath. It talked about his childhood, but by the time we 'met' him he was too supremely selfish for me to have sympathy. He'd already decided that the best way to get what he wanted was to remove all choice from everyone else... and when that didn't work (as in the case of his parents) or someone became an obstacle (such as Tony) he killed them because they had no value beyond how well they fit into his plans.

Bonita (NMBonita) I thought the girl was just as selfish, but that's to be expected. Twenty-year-olds usually are.

Bonita (NMBonita) **SPOILER**

She found a small tin box hidden in his closet. Inside were three dolls (and Elizabeth doll and two resembling his parents) made from scraps of personal items. A poker chip. A tattered newspaper obituary. And a model car, a red Fiat painted red, taped with a scrap of what looked to be Tony's shirt. When confronted, Hamner said, "Yes, I did it for you."

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Funny thing is... I forgot he killed someone. I was so blinded by Ed's creepiness!

message 17: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 15 comments I felt sorry for the guy. Creepy though, hell yes. Maybe he was named Hammer cause his approach was kinda unsubtle?

alicia grant (shesha34) this one was very creepy and really had me going.again i'm surprised i like these so much i have never been a great big fan o f short stories.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Gonçalves (danielgoncalves) | 36 comments Amazing story... my favorite from the book. Read on my trip home... pretty creepy

message 20: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin I'm not sure if I've read this particular story...

Grant Spendlove | 92 comments Kandice wrote: "This story creeped me out too. I was telling Rob I have it on audio as well, and the readers voice lends even more creep factor! It just seems so yucky. Here you think you are in love, or at least ..."

Is that the John Glover reading? Because he's King's Perfect Reader. (The late Frank Muller, who reads Different Seasons, is also a heavy contender for that title.)

Grant Spendlove | 92 comments Daniel wrote: "Amazing story... my favorite from the book. Read on my trip home... pretty creepy"

I also first read this story on a road trip. God, how Elizabeth's dream got to me!, because I had bad dreams about wolves and confined spaces, too, when I was younger.

message 23: by Jules (new)

Jules (Juliannedbrewer) | 4 comments It was a terribly creepy story and it also happens to one of my top favorites. Its a tale of love with a dash horror and the paranormal all mixed into one! I wish he would write my yarns like this one. :)

message 24: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan  (dan2345) | 163 comments I love King's short stories. Night Shift was cool.

unread topics | mark unread