Short Stories & Collections > The Mangler-NS

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2528 comments Mod
Discuss story here!

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

So turns out this story is a movie also... actually three movies! What did everyone picture at the end of the story? I pictured a giant machine coming down the road almost shaped like a big robot.

message 3: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1093 comments Mod
Something like that, but it would be clumsy and knock the hell out of everything as it came...

Kandice | 3873 comments King worked in a laundry and that's where he came up with the idea for this story. It makes me feel hot and sweaty just to read it. I can smell the steam and starch.

Kandice | 3873 comments Ha ha! Booger!

Rachel | 701 comments Yeah I can't imagine seeing this movie...much better in my head.

message 7: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1093 comments Mod
King has always amazed me with his ability to make ludicrous situations not only plausible, but disturbing as well. His writing style allows for that. But like Rob said, to give it a true visual destroys the magic and makes it a joke. That's why so many of his movies have sucked. And it's why the best are those without weird supernatural effects, such as come-to-life automobiles and industrial machinery.

message 8: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just wonder what is going to happen with the demon? And remember when someone was telling the story about the evil freezer? Yikes!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Roberts (michaelroberts) I used to work for FedEx loading trucks during the night shift, and we had all sorts of heavy machinery that was incredibly loud and obnoxious. I'm really glad I didn't read this story while I worked there. It would have been on my mind for quite a while after that.

message 10: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Sep 09, 2009 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

So I found this pic... is this what the Mangler looked like in the movie? Half person?

[image error]

Kandice | 3873 comments I can't see it.:(

Rachel | 701 comments Neither can i.

message 13: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Sep 09, 2009 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hummm.... let me try a different pic. what about now?

Kandice | 3873 comments I've never seen that before. Not as disturbing as what I had imagined from your description before I saw it!-_-

message 15: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam December (ginger15) | 7 comments I have to agree with Rob... I don't remember the movie entirely, but I know I was disappointed compared to the story.

LinBee It kind of becomes this big machine blob, the graphics get really bad, and it kinda starts looking like a blue screen, blob, robot thing..with legs. I do know that it starts going up the stairs and eventually takes out the boss (Englund) who was using it for his own evil devices. (I think). It's been 13+ years since I saw it.

LinBee Yeah, the beginning was pretty good, but then it just started getting really disjointed and weird... The story was better IMO. I actually liked the story...pretty interesting with the voodoo add-in.

message 18: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 64 comments I enjoyed this story--really creeped me out...Haven't seen the movie though, but I can think the walking machine looks better in out heads--I think it would look cheesy on screen.

LinBee Anna wrote: "I enjoyed this story--really creeped me out...Haven't seen the movie though, but I can think the walking machine looks better in out heads--I think it would look cheesy on screen."

It's true. It did look very cheesy on screen. It could have just been the effects, but, honestly most things come out scarier in our own minds than on the movie screen.

alicia grant (shesha34) Okay that was a pretty creepy story.I have to say so far I am really liking most of these stories so far.I have not been a big fan of his short stories much.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I always loved this story, Did not know about the movie. Guess I will have to decide whether I want to try watching it

Jessika (jessikareads) | 64 comments I just read this after having spent my morning at the laundromat. Pure coincidence, but boy, am I spooked!

Matthew Behling (MattyKB) | 109 comments The thought of being steamed and folded to death grosses me out. Love the story though. Hate the film. I expect everything Robert Englund is in to be b-rated camp, and this was no exception. Plus it's hard to follow a protagonist who just happens to also be Buffalo Bill from The Silence Of The Lambs.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments Never saw the film but this story really creeped me out when I first read it