Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Series Discussions (Spoilers) > Vampire Academy series

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Aug 31, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Richelle Mead
Richelle Mead

Blog: http://blue-succubus.livejournal.com/

Scorpio Richelle Mead is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Originally from Michigan, Richelle now lives in Seattle, Washington where she works on her three series full-time. Before becoming a writer, she considered a few different career paths. She received a liberal arts degree from the University of Michigan, an MA in Comparative Religion from Western Michigan University, and a Master in Teaching (Middle & High School English) degree from the University of Washington. In the end, she decided writing was the way for her but believes all of her education prepared her for it.

A life-long reader, Richelle has always had a particular fascination with mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses that she then hardly ever wears. She is a self-professed coffee addict, runs on a nocturnal schedule, and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.

Vampire Academy in order:
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)  by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)  by Richelle Mead [image error]

Series Overview:
Two races of vampires walk our world. The Moroi are alive and wield elemental magical, while the Strigoi are undead and evil--feeding on the innocent to survive. Rose Hathaway--a half-vampire with poor impulse control--is training to be a bodyguard for a Moroi princess. Learning to decapitate and stake is hard enough, but Rose's real danger may lie in an illicit romance with one of her instructors...

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) I'm going to see Richelle Mead tonight and had to add this group since there wasn't one. I'm not usually a huge YA fan, but the VA series rocks. I ate the first three novels up in a weekend they were that good!

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Oh thats cool Jackie!

Thank you so much for adding to our Series folder! :D

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Ooh, I'm looking forward to seeing her at dragoncon at the weekend. She has quickly become one of my favorite authors - responsible for three distinct and fabulous series.

VA is one of the best YA series out there. Richelle has created a unique and intersting world full of characters that you quickly grow attached to. While Rose, Lissa and the game are clearly teens, they avoid a number of the annoying stereotypes that plague some other series. As a result, I think this is a series that can truly be enjoyed by teens and adults.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) That is one reason why I love this series. I'm not a fan of the teenage angst that a lot of YA series do, but this one works really well. Even though the main character(s) is 18, she's forced to grow up and mature in so many different ways that it doesn't read like a YA. It's fabulous.

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu I'm really enjoying this series! Can't wait for number 5! Blood Promise was absolutely amazing!