The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Self help/improvement books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I've always been a bit skeptical of these kinds of books..but at the same time I feel as though they can have certain truths in them for me to think about and apply to my life. I feel like I'm just in a rut in my life and I'm miserable..with my job, with my lack of money, and the fact that I just am not doing all the things I want to do with my life. So..I'm looking for perhaps a few good books that might help me change my perspective. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Choco (new)

Choco I suggest The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris M.D.

Unlike other self-help books which tell you to control your thoughts and change them from negative to positive, his assumption (based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)) is that being happys is NOT a natural condition. Evolution may have made us be more aware of negative aspects of our life and our environments rather than good aspects because that allowed us to survive. This unfortunately affects us in a negative way and makes us quite unhappy.
Considering a large percentage of people suffering from miner to major depression when we should be happier than ever with all the advancements in our society, it is odd to think they are all 'abnormal' feeling that way, don't you think?
People have different opinions, tastes and etc, but I personally think this is the only book I would ever need in a self-help genre.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Stop Whining, Start Living: Turning Hurt Into Happiness by Laura C. Schlessinger

I have not read this yet, but I am going to read it because I feel like I am in the same place as you and the title seemed appropriate.

I also recently read Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom(?) which is not a self-help but gave wonderful insight about life and what is important.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments
I recommend ANY book by Dr. Deepak Chopra with all my heart!

:D ♥♥♥

message 5: by Monica (last edited Aug 31, 2009 04:15PM) (new)

Monica (imelda85) Jamie!
Read Broken Open How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow.

Such an incredible book! I understand how you are feeling, I'm trying to get out of the "rut" I've been in, too! I swear it's like the twenties crisis or something. (I just turned 24.)

This book is great during anytime of your life whether you are battling with day-to-day stress or if you're coping with the loss of a loved one.

This book really spoke to me, I hope it will do the same for you! :)

"If we can stay awake when our lives are changing, secrets will be revealed to us; secrets about ourselves, about the nature of life, and about the eternal source of happiness and peace that is always available, always renewable, already within us."
ELIZABETH LESSER

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 166 comments Liber Null & Psychonaut An Introduction to Chaos Magic gave me something to think about when it came to what approach one needs to address one's own opinions

The Satanic Witch made me reconsider image and vanity

Can I plug my own? Satan Is The New Cupid The self-help aspect is on personal paradigm and getting a boyfriend.