Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Self Help/Improvement books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments I've always been a bit skeptical of these kinds of books..but at the same time I feel as though they can have certain truths in them for me to think about and apply to my life. I feel like I'm just in a rut in my life and I'm miserable..with my job, with my lack of money, and the fact that I just am not doing all the things I want to do with my life. So..I'm looking for perhaps a few good books that might help me change my perspective. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli Hmmm.... so you are wanting a book that may help you turn things around in your life? Not necessarily a book that will change you but one that will change your environment maybe?

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I've been having these same feelings and these two books were recommended to me by a friend. She said that all of it may not apply, but to take what you need from them.

Beginner's Guide to Creating Reality An Introduction to Ramtha & His Techings

That Elixir Called Love

I haven't read them yet, so I can't give you any insight on a personal level. The guy seems kind of nutty to me, but my friend swears by it.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments Holli wrote: "Hmmm.... so you are wanting a book that may help you turn things around in your life? Not necessarily a book that will change you but one that will change your environment maybe?"

Yeah..pretty much! :)

message 5: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) It's not a traditional choice but my life was made a whole lot better when I read [Book: Get Anyone to do Anything] by [Author: David J. Lieberman]

...it's not technically a self-help book...more of a business book but with wider lessons for life and the best way to treat people in order to get the most out of those around you and turn any situation to your advantage.

Its got very short little chapters that you can dip into when you need them and helps you with things like getting a stubborn person to change their mind or how to say no without feeling guilty or how to get anyone to understand your point of view.

It has avoided me much frustration over the last few years and it stopped me from feeling so powerless, which was the first step to realising I could change my little world for the better.

Hope it helps.

Ally

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I really like Iyanla Vanzant, but she's more of a changing yourself person.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is also one of my favorites and might be more of what you're looking for.

message 7: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) I like Joel Osteen's books. I know they are spiritual, but I like his idea of positive thinking. He has one book called My Best Life Now (7 Steps to living at my full potential) and even though the 7 steps are ones that we already know, sometimes you need to be reminded of them. One step is to let go of the past and another one is to develop a healthy self-image - both are things I know I should be doing, but sometimes its hard to do them.

message 8: by Holli (new)

Holli I loved this book but not sure if its what you are looking for or not....

The Four Agreements A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, A Toltec Wisdom Book