The Killer Reads Book Club discussion

October 2014: The Intruders > October's title is The Intruders by Michael Marshall

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Killer Reads (new)

Killer Reads (killerreads) | 27 comments Mod
Michael Marshall's The Intruders is being turned into a BBC TV series this autumn, so we thought it would be the perfect time to get together and read the book before the show starts! We'll be posting 'official' discussion topics in the group on the 27th of October, but in the meantime, feel free to add your questions and thoughts here!

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave (dakegra) | 3 comments Awesome. Love his books. :-)

message 3: by Killer Reads (new)

Michael Marshall is up on the Killer Reads blog today talking about his inspiration for THE INTRUDERS, including why the number 9 is such a fascination for him! https://www.killerreads.com/blog/how-...

message 4: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Jackson (elainejenny) OK well I've already read the book on my kindle, but I recently got a paperback copy, and I'd be up for a re-read along with you folks. So has anyone read chapter one yet?

message 5: by Killer Reads (new)

Elaine wrote: "OK well I've already read the book on my kindle, but I recently got a paperback copy, and I'd be up for a re-read along with you folks. So has anyone read chapter one yet?"

Glad you're taking part, Elaine! I've just finished reading it and my mind is kind of buzzing with all the questions I want to ask people about it! Hope you enjoy reading it again!

message 6: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Jackson (elainejenny) OK Killer, ask away - I've actually read it a few times... :-)

message 7: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Jackson (elainejenny) One thing I want to say is that in Creative Writing Classes, it's generally taught that "Prologues Are Bad". I can only say that I've read many good books that do have them, including 'Intruders', and I don't see the problem... in 'Intruders', the prologue feels right, and although when you go into the next chapter you wonder what the relevance is, MMS doesn't pander to the reader by rushing in and telling them straight away - he trusts the reader to remember and to 'get' it later on, and I like that.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 5 comments I really like prologues - it gives you a sense of the excitement and action that's going to come later, without giving too much away. It lets the first couple of chapters have a bit of a slower burn, as well...

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (slp411) | 1 comments I think it depends on the prologue. For me the one in The Intruders really works. I have been lucky enough to see the first ep of the TV show, and interestingly although it does have a 'prologue', it's a different one from the book. I can see why they changed it and I think both work. But I have read books where the prologue seemed redundant.

message 10: by Killer Reads (new)

Hi everyone, Michael Marshall is up on the blog today talking about writing the setting for THE INTRUDERS: https://www.killerreads.com/blog/mich...

message 11: by Killer Reads (new)

Another post from Michael Marshall today - here he is talking about production on the TV show and what it was like to be involved... https://www.killerreads.com/blog/prod...

message 12: by Janine (new)

Janine | 6 comments I have just finished reading The Intruders and I loved it. The ending leaves the way open for future books.