Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Introductions > Salutations!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (alwright1) | 4 comments Hi, everyone! I'm Andrea, a technology librarian at a university on the Gulf Coast of the US. Becoming addicted to Harry Potter after college and then attending library school opened up a whole new reading universe for me by sparking my interest in YA and fantasy genres.

I was excited to find this group. The discussions look great, and it seems like you have a lot of fun.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Andrea, and welcome! Being a librarian must be the best ever job. I'm glad you enjoy it. I hope you enjoy Wild Things too!

message 3: by Shauna (new)

Shauna | 15 comments Hi Andrea! What exactly is a technology librarian? I have been thinking of going back to school to be a librarian, but I am not sure I can handle the dewey decimal system. Seems kind of boring! I love to read and recommend books, so thought that a librarian might be a great career for me. Do you enjoy it?

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Andrea

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Welcome Andrea, Have a great time with this group.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (alwright1) | 4 comments Thanks, everyone!

Shauna,
As I technology librarian at a university, it's my job to be web mistress and keep up with and recommend technology-based tools for teaching, learning, and research. I'm also a reference librarian assisting students and professors with their research. So my personal library job is pretty far from what you envision.

Public library jobs vary in interesting-ness. Reader advisory librarians do most of the work you are describing, and they usually do reference work as well, helping the public search for information resources to meet their needs. So they assist with school work, settle bets, help people plan to build decks, help people find jobs, find people books about beginning new hobbies, etc. YA Librarians do more reader's advisory than most librarians, but they also plan gaming nights and fun programs for teens. Collection development librarians get to choose which resources to buy for the public, but they also have to deal with the bills and payments, etc. Those sound like the types of librarianship you would most likely be interested in. There are other people who catalog books and manage branches just like managers at any other organization. Also, there are people like me who help researchers and do all those other things at universities, community colleges, non-profits, museums, and businesses.

So there are lots of different kinds of librarians, and almost all of us love to read and recommend books, but there's a lot more to it in most positions than just that and shelving. Many places, librarians don't do much shelving. Staff assistants, volunteers, and student workers to much of that type of work. What kind of work librarians in public libraries do also depends a lot on the community in which they work. For instance work varies between small towns and big cities, so if you know -where- you would like to find work, it might be a good idea to go and talk to them there about what they do, or maybe volunteer a few hours a week to see what it is like. There would be a lot of shelving, but you could be first on all the hold lists, too.