Our Shared Shelf discussion

Jul/Aug–Solito,Solita &Butterfly > How did the way you see/think about refugees changed after reading Solito Solita and Butterfly?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lujain, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Lujain Mahmoud (lujain_mahmoud) | 6 comments Mod
I always try to be self-conscious about not stereotyping refugees into only victims, yet the effect of the Media and how they portray refugees as victims with no agency is so strong that I sometimes find myself falling into that mistake. Reading Solito Solita opened my eyes to how different the experiences of refugees are. While some of them suffered a traumatic childhood, many of them had happy homes as children.
What's your biggest takeaway from reading the books?

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
(I have finished Butterfly, still waiting on grabbing a copy of Solito/Solita)

I appreciated two items from Mardini's account.
1) that those who make the journey in Syria often are the fortunate ones who had the means to do so. I.e. they had money or knew other languages. Mardini covers this a bit with her and her sister's ability to go to hotels where as some of her fellow boat riders were not so fortunate and had to make do without.

2) I think her comment about having a "computer" back home or coming from a regular place really drives home how tenuous our safety and security is in our home country. It starts off small - a bunch of people upset. But very quickly it turned into a much larger threat that closed off their ability to return home after a day trip.

My mind goes back to the quote from Handmaid's Tale "Truly amazing what people can get used to, as long as there are a few compensations.”

message 3: by Ana Paula (new)

Ana Paula (anapaulacordeiro) | 46 comments I asked myself this question as I read Solito, Solita, and with a pang of guilt. Being a New York-based latinx immigrant myself, I was laboring under the delusion that I had an idea of what the book would bring.

To my surprise - and to my embarrassment for being surprised - what this reading opened my eyes to was the dis-proportioned burden native women are laden with as result of colonialism and imperialism. To how the Central America native people's livelihoods are being systematically destroyed by capitalism. And, also, to what ties migration to feminism - as here and now, just as in other facets of history, women from indigenous populations, bear the brunt of the burden for the developments of the so-called "developed" countries.

It made me a little more angry, so see those stories and trace back to their origins. A productive kind of anger, an eye-opening kind of anger.

Another effect this book had on my was to become even pickier about food choices. Fair Trade labels are ranking as high as Cruelty-free and Pesticide-Free to me now. I don't think I will ever buy another Chiquita product after I learned about what miseries United Fruit Company has inflicted upon Central America.

All in all, I am grateful this book was picked by OSS. I believe in the importance of bearing witness.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

These two writings were so authentic, I can't just believe it happened in real life, it's disgusting me of our politicians! 🤢🤢🤮🤮

We should ban and condemn such behaviors, war should be banned !
Everything that happen in Eastern countries should be over, Obama stopped the war in Irak and now we are facing a new one, it's unbelievable plus a new war in Korea!

A lot of refugees are going to come from every were in western countries like ours 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I'm disgusted as a gay women of all that expression of testosterone and pride ! Hopefully we will see women governing one day 🙇‍♀️

message 5: by Aya (new)

Aya Prita (ayakkumii) I just finished "Butterfly" last night and it changed my perspective about refugees. I never knew anything about refugees and why (since there's less news coverage in my country about it). With Yusra's story, it helped me to know what refugees life looks like and it made me think if this happened to me, what will I do?

I really hope war should be banned right now. It's gruesome.
Thank you Our Shared Shelf to pick this book. Now I know what action that I should take! ❤️

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Goodread's doesn't have thumbs up or a like button. Please note that I would spam each of those. Your reflection was illuminating

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter | 66 comments Ximena wrote: "I read Solito Solita three weeks ago. It took me longer that I expected to truly write and share what I was thinking about the stories, but beyond them, what’s happening

Back in 2016, there were a..."

I love this kind of post! When someone takes the time to tell stories about how issues play-out in their own country, it pulls me out of my American bubble and helps me feel connected to the rest of the world. Meanwhile, while the details may be unique, the underlying issues always feel more the same than different.

While I enjoy the books of OSS, it's the personal stories that the books draw out that I learn from the most.