Art Lovers discussion

Pablo Picasso

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Pablo Ruiz Picasso was born in Malaga, Spain in 1881 and died in France in 1973. The inventor of Cubism never adopted one particular style but developed different styles and used several mediums during his lifetime. Picasso is consider the most influential artist of the 20th century. Long before Barcelona and Paris, Picasso had shown that he was an artistic prodigy.

In 1896, his "First Communion" became evidence of his talents:

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2009 05:33PM) (new)

Heather | 8271 comments What an intricate and beautiful painting!

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

It is an academic painting but a very beautiful one. Picasso learned the rules well in order to break them. It is amazing that at such a young age Picasso could be so talented.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Self-Portrait (1896)

[image error]

message 5: by M (last edited Aug 30, 2009 01:31AM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) Pablo Picasso is the artistic giant of the twentieth century, and perhaps only Leonardo Da Vinci rivals his fame throughout the History of Art.
In a working life that spanned nearly eighty years, Picasso painted some of the archetypal images of modern art, including "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" and "Guernica".
But he did more than create individual works of originality and genius. Picasso invented, and inspired others to invent, a whole new vocabulary and way of thinking about Art which have shaped the progress of modernism throughout the twentieth century.

" I wanted to be a painter, I became Picasso" - Picasso.

If you want to read one book about Picasso's life and career ( paintings, ceramics, graphic work, drawings and sculpture), this book and study is remarkable Picasso

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 30, 2009 03:55PM) (new)

re: self portrait

I have always found artist's self portraits to be extremely interesting. How do the see themselves? From Picasso's self portrait it seems that he too felt all too human.

message 7: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 6 comments I was surprised to learn he was suspected in the theft of the Mona Lisa from the Louvre in 1911.

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Wow! I didn't know that, Manuel! I'm surprised, too. What ever came of that?

message 9: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 6 comments it turned out an employee of the Louvre did the theft.

Picasso was implicated by another painter, but he was exonerated.

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Hey, does anyone remember that song by Counting Crows- Mr Jones where is says "I felt so symbolic yesterday, if I knew a Picasso, I'd find myself a grey guitar and play". Just thought I'd share. LOL

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2009 01:43AM) (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Mary wrote: "re: self portrait

I have always found artist's self portraits to be extremely interesting. How do the see themselves? From Picasso's self portrait it seems that he too felt all too human.

"
Yes, and very serious about his work and himself.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Manuel wrote: "I was surprised to learn he was suspected in the theft of the Mona Lisa from the Louvre in 1911."

He was a suspect because of his connection to stolen African art.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 01, 2009 05:00PM) (new)

According to Gertrude Stein, one of Picasso's early sources of inspiration was Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. During his "Lautrec" period Picasso was motivated to create images that celebrated the life of nocturnal Paris.

Picasso's Le Moulin de la Galette (1900)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Seeing the 3d version of Guernica along with seeing the SImon Schama documentary last night kind of makes me see the whole thing in a new more in depth light.

message 16: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Pablo Picasso was baptized Pablo Diego José Fransisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Martyr Patricio Clito Ruiz y Picasso. The name contains 23 words and honors
various saints and relatives.

source: http://www.monikamurrayart.com/41311....

message 17: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Pablo Picasso was considered a suspect in the theft of Mona Lisa in 1911.
He was arrested and questioned after his friend Guillaume Apollinaire pointed a finger at Picasso. Both were later cleared and released.

source: http://www.monikamurrayart.com/41311....