Senatus Populus Que Romanus discussion

Any one know of any good plays about Rome?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Wienckowski | 2 comments Of course I know about Shakespeare's Roman tragedies, but I'm curious about twentieth century plays set in Ancient Rome.

The only examples I can think of is Camus' "Caligula" and Howard Brenton's "Romans in Britain".

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 26 comments Well, it's not 20th century, but there's Cato A Tragedy, and Selected Essays, by Joseph Addison.

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Wienckowski | 2 comments That sounds great! I need to check that out!

message 4: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Gompertz | 2 comments As a fan and writer of history and humor, I risk the scorn of this group by recommending "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

It's a classic farce set in ancient times. No time like the past to laugh at the present!

RSG
No Roads Lead to Rome

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindamom) | 21 comments AFTHOTWTTF is hysterical and a real classic. What sort of play were you requesting? Absolute history? Hard/impossible to find. No limits? Now we're talking!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 26 comments You could also try George Bernard Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra.

message 7: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Gompertz | 2 comments Perhaps you've identified a "market opportunity." I think the world is ready for a new play about Ancient Rome. There are so many parallels between ancient times and our own.

RSG
No Roads Lead to Rome

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindamom) | 21 comments Very good point.

message 9: by Frances (new)

Frances | 7 comments I think modern plays about Rome would be tough to pull off as modern theater directors do not like putting on anything "period," and grown men swanning around in sheets would probably top the list of no-nos. (My husband's a playwright, so I've been around this block.)
In fact, many theaters now produce traditional plays in modern settings/costumes.

message 10: by Leeann (new)

Leeann (leeannhoward) | 1 comments (Hello!, I'm new so I felt obliged to say that) A wonderful series of Plays is by Sophocles, one of them is called Oedipus Rex. It is a classic Roman play, it's WONDERFUL. Just a suggestion

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 26 comments A great playwright, Sophocles, but he was a Greek.

message 12: by Vicki (last edited Nov 13, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

Vicki Cline | 20 comments Thornton Wilder, the author of Our Town, wrote The Ides of March. About Julius Caesar, natch. I've never seen it, but I enjoyed reading it.
Ides of March by Thornton Wilder by Thornton Wilder Thornton Wilder

Oops! I just realized this is a novel, not a play. But it's still really good.

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 2 comments Romulus by Gore Vidal is really enjoyable. I saw it performed and it was excellent

message 14: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 2 comments Just an addition to my post ^^^
It's not very historically accurate, but very interesting and thought provoking

message 15: by Jane (last edited Nov 23, 2017 09:35AM) (new)

Jane | 51 comments Very interesting play I read recently : Eve Of Ides / David Blixt: mostly dialogue between Caesar and Brutus on the eve of the fateful Ides; then between them before Battle of Philippi--Caesar's ghost and Brutus. Fascinating!