Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Level 2 (Investigator) > Arow 2019 Cozie Challenge - #2

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments I just finished Level 4 so figure I will try my hand at Level 2 Option A. Looking forward to the next 20 books.

message 2: by Arow (last edited Dec 30, 2019 09:27AM) (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book Tracking

20 of 20

Book 1: Espresso and Evil by Agatha Frost - read August 15, 2019

Book 2: Yarn to Go by Betty Hechtman - read August 27, 2019

Book 3: Off Kilter by Hannah Reed - read September 1, 2019

Book 4: Chocolate Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke - read September 25, 2019

Book 5: Down the Rabbit Hole by Evelyn Amber - read September 30, 2019

Book 6: The Mint Julep Murders by Angie Fox - read October 7, 2019

Book 7: Buzz Off by Hannah Reed - read October 13, 2019

Book 8: Mind Your Own Beeswax by Hannah Reed - read October 18, 2019

Book 9: Plan Bee by Deb Baker - read October 31, 2019

Book 10: Beeline To Trouble by Deb Baker - read November 8, 2019

Book 11: Beewitched by Hannah Reed - read November 18, 2019

Book 12: Boxes in the Basement by Kathi Daley - read November 22, 2019

Book 13: Letters in the Library by Kathi Daley - read November 28, 2019

Book 14: Message in the Mantel by Kathi Daley - read December 8, 2019

Book 15: Answers in the Attic by Kathi Daley - read December 8, 2019

Book 16: Haunting in the Hallway by Kathi Daley - read December 13, 2019

Book 17: Pilgrim in the Parlor by Kathi Daley - read December 20, 2019

Book 18: Note in the Nutcracker by Kathi Daley - read December 24, 2019

Book 19: The Christmas Letter by Kathi Daley - read December 28, 2019

Book 20: The Valentine Mystery by Kathi Daley - read December 30, 2019

message 3: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 1: Espresso and Evil by Agatha Frost

4 Stars

Second time reading this, still good, love this series.

message 4: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 2: Yarn to Go by Betty Hechtman

3 Stars

Definitely not my favourite, I struggled to get into the story both from a character development and plotline. It got there in the end but not enough to turn around my opinion.

message 5: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 3: Off Kilter by Hannah Reed

4 stars

I am surprised with how much I enjoyed this first installment of the series. I loved the characters and can't wait to find out more about them as the series develops.

message 6: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 4: Chocolate Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke

3 stars

** spoiler alert **

I think I expect too much from the series at this point. The entire book just seemed to be a setup for recipes. The actual murder, sleuthing plot could have been better accomplished as a short story.

I mean how many times do people have to tell her to look out the peephole. And not everything she bakes needs to turn out, how about something that doesn't every once in awhile.

The dialogue drove me nuts, just not as fluid or natural as the early books. And honestly, how many items were they making for the pending Valentine's Day? I didn't count but man they had more than enough.

And I think what really put me over the edge was the lack of understanding of privacy amoungst people's accounts. I know it's a small town but I just can't believe the amount they do for each other without passcodes, signatures etc.

But in the end I am heavily invested and really would like to see how it ends. Joanne Fluke has laid the ground work for an interesting follow-up.

And that's why it still got a 3 of 5. Here's hoping I like where the story is headed in the next release.

message 7: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 5: Down the Rabbit Hole by Evelyn Amber

3 stars

A decent cozy, I enjoyed the literary ties to Alice in Wonderland, I thought those were spot on. I just didn't connect to the characters and felt the overall story a bit far fetched.

message 8: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 6: The Mint Julep Murders by Angie Fox

4 stars

This installment of the Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries takes us to the Mint Julep Manor which was an Insane Asylum which closed its doors in 1951 (if I recall). Its new owner is trying to turn it into a Ghost Hunting site which is what brings us to its doors.

Overall the story was good, just not my favourite in the series. I was getting a bit bored with the setting as it all took place within the Manor. I wanted more Ellis, and I wanted Frankie to be less scared. I guess I just wanted more.

message 9: by Arow (last edited Oct 25, 2019 05:06AM) (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 7: Buzz Off by Hannah Reed

4 stars

I enjoy Hannah Reed's writing style. It's humourous, light, in-depth while staying in track and easy to settle into.

I have fallen in love with Story and her town. Looking forward to seeing what happens next in this series.

message 10: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 8: Mind Your Own Beeswax by Hannah Reed - read October 18, 2019

4 stars

This was a unique story, I enjoyed the joining or past and present in this small town.

Note, I read the e-book which definitely had some editing issues. The poor dogs name changed from Bob in Chapter 7 to the proper Ben in Chapter 8.

Even with that though, I loved it and the characters involved.

message 11: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 9: Plan Bee by Deb Baker

3 1/2 Stars

I still love the characters but I was not a fan of the storyline.

message 12: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 10: Beeline To Trouble by Deb Baker

3 Stars

This one lost me, I didn't get into it and overall it took me awhile to get through it. I still enjoy the characters but the actual mystery left me wanting.

message 13: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 11: Beewitched by Hannah Reed

4 stars

I have loved the 5th installment of this series. I had lost hope after the last two but everything has come together in Beewitched. I have loved the new characters and the personal storyline of Story.

message 14: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 12: Boxes in the Basement by Kathi Daley

4 stars

I enjoyed the first installment of The Inn at Holiday Bay. It had a little of bit of everything, heart ache, new beginnings, new friendships, mystery, intrigue, and a tiny hint of potential romance.

The editing of the book could have been slightly better but for me it didn't take away from the story. I have really been taken by the characters, the town and what it can hold.

message 15: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 13: Letters in the Library by Kathi Daley

4 stars

I couldn't put it down, not the most realistic but I am loving the series.

message 16: by Arow (last edited Dec 27, 2019 05:54AM) (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 14: Message in the Mantel by Kathi Daley

4 stars

I really am loving this series, it's not the best written, there are a few editing errors which need to be overlooked but following the characters as they grow together and rebuild the Inn on Holiday Bay has been enjoyable. I can't wait to see what historical mystery comes to light next.

message 17: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 15: Answers in the Attic by Kathi Daley

4 stars

Read this on a Sunday morning in almost one sitting. Once again we join Abby and her new friends as they finish the inn rebuild and discover a few historical mysteries along the way.

Light hearted, easy and simple to read.

message 18: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 16: Haunting in the Hallway by Kathi Daley

4 stars

Another good installment in the Inn at Holiday Bay series. I love the characters and seeing how the past is unfolding.

message 19: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 17: Pilgrim in the Parlor by Kathi Daley

4 stars

It's been a year since Abby has moved and opened the Inn. It's in full swing, meeting lots of guests and seeing how the friendships unfold are still entertaining to me.

message 20: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 18: Note in the Nutcracker by Kathi Daley

4 stars

This was a well timed novel to read the week of Christmas. The Christmas spirit is well shown in this installment and it has made me want to go to a Christmas retreat.

message 21: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 19: The Christmas Letter by Kathi Daley

4 stars

Easy, light hearted read with fun characters and a good mystery to solve. I enjoyed the small town and the interaction between the characters. I will definitely be reading more in this series.

message 22: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments Book 20: The Valentine Mystery by Kathi Daley

3 stars (really close to 4 stars though)

I am torn on this one, I love the town and characters and the friendships and slow love interests which are unfolding. However I was not a fan of the actual mystery, it was just a bit much in the end. I enjoyed portions of it while reading but I had a hard time buying into it.

message 23: by Arow (new)

Arow | 319 comments And I am done!!! Excited that I was able to finish my second challenge of 2019! That is 60 cozy mysteries read and I am excited for 2020 :-)