Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Series Discussions (Spoilers) > Kate Daniels Series

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Author:
Ilona Andrews
Ilona Andrews

“Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)

Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Georgia with their two children and three dogs.

Kate Daniels Series (in order):
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews

Series Overview:
The world has suffered a magic apocalypse. We pushed the technological progress too far, and now magic returned with a vengeance. It comes in waves, without warning, and vanishes as suddenly as it appears. When magic is up, planes drop out of the sky, cars stall, electricity dies. When magic is down, guns work and spells fail.

It’s a volatile, screwed-up world. Magic feeds on technology, gnawing down on skyscrappers until most of them topple and fall, leaving only skeletal husks behind. Monsters prowl the ruined streets, werebears and werehyenas stalk their prey; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Seriously, please tell me you guys have read this series already? I've recently joined and this series is awesome and it's hot and I can't wait until Magic Bleeds comes out June 2010. I want my own Curran.

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Oh I read the first one!!

I LOVED IT!!! I loved loved loved it!

I planned to get the second and third, I am so glad you started this thread :D

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Seriously, it only gets better and Ilona & Gordon continually put snippets up on their blog from Curran's POV. They are great! Magic Bleeds is going to be awesome since Kate lost the bet in Magic Strikes. Just wait until you get to that one!

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Oooh sounds super good :D I will have to stay clear of this thread since I only read the first one :D But feel free to discuss and spoil away :D Its what this folder is here for!

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I've read the first 3 books and I've ordered 'Must Love Hellhounds'. Yes, that little bet was cute. I like the way Ilona is easing Kate into a bit of romance.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Hands down, my favorite UF series. I wait impatiently for Kate 4 by following their blog, desperate for snippets from the new book and Gordon's posts from Curran's POV. Magic Strikes is my favorite book of the year.

And yes, you must read Must Love Hellhounds, as even though it isn't a Kate and Curran story, Andrea and Raphael are brilliant - and we do get some interesting information on our favorite Beast Lord!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) I haven't gotten my hands on Must Love Hellhounds yet. I should pick that one up tonight.

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) When I first read Magic Bites, the universe firmly caught my attention. I actually thought magic/technology switching was a new concept. I was told by a friend at work, who has read fantasy and the like for 30+ years, that there were other writers that had simular universes. I'm sticking to 'it's unique'. Having magic and technology switch on and off allows for a lot of surprises, since they each require different tactics to ensure human/not human survival. It took me a while to accept/understand that magic brought down the mighty skyscrapers in Atlanta and elsewhere. I have read in other books that magic is no fan of certain metals. Technology no longer rules and I wonder if magic will conquer.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Danner (kindlevixen) | 12 comments This is one my most favorite series! After reading the first book I was like "ehhh It is good, I will try the second" - It quickly grew into a much loved, must read series! The wit and humor in the books is fabulous.